Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

msinex
Apprentice

I had IPv6 disabled before with my old Spectrum cable ISP, and I was still running into the DNS issues.  It has only been since I shifted to the new fiber ISP last Friday that I haven't seen any DNS issues.  I didn't change any other settings or update any other firmware.  Could just be coincidence and the DNS issues will return, but haven't seen it yet.

Message 76 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

You were right. DNS errors returned. I have Router and PC ipv6 disabled.

Message 77 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP are you with? 

@Ace321 wrote:

You were right. DNS errors returned. I have Router and PC ipv6 disabled.

Message 78 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

Comcast.
Message 79 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, seems that most of these problems seem to be mostly seen on CC or Spectrum. Something to check with NG support about. For me and SparkLight, I have not seen this whatsoever on this ISP. IPv6 is disabled on the RBR and PC. I've just enabled IPv6 on the PC and will see what happens this week. 

Message 80 of 579
FarmerBob1
Luminary

For a long time there have been DNS issues with Centurylink on all service levels, mostly DSL and vDSL. I learned about it when I stumbled on a thread on DSLReports(dot)com discussing it. Since I use a secure private DNS on my Fiber service, I have not had any DNS issues. The only connection problems I have had are browsers not functioning properly. That in itself can be misconstruded as DNS issues. I have noticed this more so with the Firefox family and spinoffs. Chrome, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi, Canari and other non-FF have been good at dealing with most anything.

When I have suggested trying a non-CL DNSs, it seemed to be the solution. So as Furry suggested that many DNS issues are ISP related. I have found and seen others find that is mostly true. Although when troubleshooting every so often I have to set my RBR850 in default "get what is given out" to connect. But that is not often and I change it soon after.

I have enough devices and applications that would fail letting me know there is an issue and to date I haven't seen anything that would lead me to think I have a problem. There's other more obvious things that have been popping up.

Message 81 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Only thing I would add is that it was a combination of the Orbi and the cable ISP.  I had the same ISP/Model with a Nighthawk mesh setup and had absolutely no issue whatsoever.  The DNS issues only came up once I shifted to Orbi.  Now that I have shifted to the fiber ISP, I haven't had any DNS issues for a full week now.  I still don't understand what the issue was, though.

Message 82 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

I'm on Verizon FiOS - never had a problem with my Nighthawk, and am still getting dropouts.  I've tried disabling IPv6, I've tried switching DNS to CloudFlare, I've completely reset the router after the last flash update and re-set it up.  Looking at the debug outputs, it appears that the daemons for the Armor stuff is still running, even though I have that disabled, and it's probably got something to do with the issues - but I don't know enough to say so for sure.

Still get random freezes and DNS dropout that last about 2 seconds per happenstance. 

Would love to get into the router to watch the debug logs and fix the broken thing (whatever it is), but have been unable to enable telnet or otherwise connect to it except through the interface.

Again, LOVE the radio coverage and the backhaul speeds of WiFi6 - but SOMETHING is broken in this, and my money is on dnsmasq.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 83 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you enabling Armor after a factory reset>?

@rgautier wrote:

I'm on Verizon FiOS - never had a problem with my Nighthawk, and am still getting dropouts.  I've tried disabling IPv6, I've tried switching DNS to CloudFlare, I've completely reset the router after the last flash update and re-set it up.  Looking at the debug outputs, it appears that the daemons for the Armor stuff is still running, even though I have that disabled, and it's probably got something to do with the issues - but I don't know enough to say so for sure.

Still get random freezes and DNS dropout that last about 2 seconds per happenstance. 

Would love to get into the router to watch the debug logs and fix the broken thing (whatever it is), but have been unable to enable telnet or otherwise connect to it except through the interface.

Again, LOVE the radio coverage and the backhaul speeds of WiFi6 - but SOMETHING is broken in this, and my money is on dnsmasq.

Message 84 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

I did not enable Armor during the factory reset.  However, it enabled itself (after I specifically did not), and I had to turn it off.  I noticed in the debug runs that there's a lot of bitdefender daemons running, though - even though my router says it's Disabled.

Message 85 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the 7 series Orbi or 7 series S model Orbi? 

I would make contact with NG support on this. I believe Armor shouldn't be re-abling on it's own if it's not enabled after a reset. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 86 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

Hardware VersionRBR750

Firmware VersionV3.2.16.6_1.4.4

GUI Language VersionV3.0.0.49_2.1.30.3

This is what I have - the Costco 2 satellite/1 router package.

I'm outside the 90 day warranty period.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 87 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

I don’t think it is a hardware issue. I have changed my device twice from Costco with same issues. Unfortunately NG support did not do anything either. My ticket is open for multiple weeks and now received an email that they want to close the ticket due to no activity on ticket :-(. I just changed dns to static at device level.
Message 88 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Was Does the RBS750 have any RBS750(S) on it? 

Seen some posts about a 750 S series which is the Security version which is only having Armor included. So not sure if of the behaviors are different between 7 and 8 series, I know that on my 8 series Armor is disable afer a reset and i don't enable it when I'm asked about it during the setup wizard process. Why on 7 series is being enabled after a reset would be something to ask NG support about or the forum moderator...

@rgautier wrote:
Hardware VersionRBR750

Firmware VersionV3.2.16.6_1.4.4

GUI Language VersionV3.0.0.49_2.1.30.3

This is what I have - the Costco 2 satellite/1 router package.

I'm outside the 90 day warranty period.

Message 89 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Also my 8 series didn't come with Armor, it was adding in FW later on. 

Message 90 of 579
filmnikon
Aspirant

@Ace321 wrote:
I don’t think it is a hardware issue. I have changed my device twice from Costco with same issues. Unfortunately NG support did not do anything either. My ticket is open for multiple weeks and now received an email that they want to close the ticket due to no activity on ticket :-(. I just changed dns to static at device level.

I agree, DNS resolution is a feature which hasn't changed in years and I can't imagine that hardware is the source of the problem.  When dealing with NG support, you have to reply to them even if just to say "I already tried that" otherwise they will close the ticket.  So go ahead and reply back to keep it alive.  Those of us with support left on these devices (it's not free forever) should keep our tickets open and keep trying the things support suggests--this lets us exhaust all of the options they can think of AND THEN they will need to investigate further.  Without doing this we just won't get enough attention on the problem.

While it's true that setting static DNS on every device in the home is a valid work-around, 1) it still does not provide a seamless experience for those WANTING the same OpenDNS support throughout the home, and 2) it's a huge pain to go and manage that on every device when you have multiple PC's, laptops, iPads, etc.

Message 91 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes for users with in warranty periods with NG, please keep in contact with NG support. I believe there are a couple of different things are are causing this, FW and FW app(Armor), Different ISP and or ISP HW configurations and IPv6.  Seems like there has been some common posts in regards to ISP and IPS configurations and some IPv6 involvement. I would say that some have posted about Armor as well. 

I for one have not see this issue what so ever, however I don't use Armor or IPv6 so those are disabled. My ISP doesn't support native IPv6. Two modems I have tested Orbi AX out on a CABLE ISP service, Sparklight, CM2000 and CAX80 has not reproduce this issue. I have been wanting to put my CM1200 back online and may soon. So with this configuration and ISP service at least, has not rendered this problem since getting the Orbi AX last year. So from this kind of configuration and ISP service, FW seems ok. 

So IMO, leads me to think that there maybe a difference in ISP service experiences with Orbi AX, and since I don't have FIOS or ONT or some different ISP hardware, there maybe issues seen between this level and Orbi AX. 

Some of you have mentioned using Armor which has been known to cause problems since Orbi AC days so this maybe another item which NG needs to look into as well. 

Message 92 of 579
filmnikon
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes for users with in warranty periods with NG, please keep in contact with NG support. I believe there are a couple of different things are are causing this, FW and FW app(Armor), Different ISP and or ISP HW configurations and IPv6.  Seems like there has been some common posts in regards to ISP and IPS configurations and some IPv6 involvement. I would say that some have posted about Armor as well. 

As for myself, I am using Comcast cable and Arris SB8200 cable modem, and I am not using IPv6.  Also Armor is not turned on/enabled.  So just to clarify there are users like me not using IPv6 nor Armor and still experiencing this.  Totaly agree to keep in contact with support, it's our only change to get attention on this issue.  

Message 93 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Why I think in some cases this is a ISP and Orbi issue as well. Seen lots of posts of problems with users on CC and Cox. 

Ya, Hopefully NG can get this figured out. Definately share your debug logs with NG support. You can enable them under router IP address/debug.htm. Keep this running and when the problem happens, capture the logs and send to NG. 

Message 94 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing that some of you maybe able to do, if you still have a prior router, re-install that router, disable the wifi radios on the router, then configure the Orbi AX for AP mode and test. Would be helpful for NG to know the results of this as well. 

Message 95 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Anyone with a 8 series Orbi having this problem wanna give this a try?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Message 96 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

I have been testing beta version (same version number) on 753 series and my dns issues seem to be resolved
Message 97 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Interesting.  When I try updating from the web interface on my orbis, it shows no firmeware update available when I'm on V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

This link shows 3.2.17.12 is available and it's not marked as beta, it's an official release.  

Orbi RBK852 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

I'll test later today with IPv6 enabled first, then disable IPv6, leaving AX enabled and see how things go. 

Message 98 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

IT may not be up on there auto update servers yet. But its available for manual download and manual installation. It's not a beta. 

Message 99 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

My Beta version number (provided by NG support) is V3.2.17.205_1.4.13. This is for 7 series.

Message 100 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7