Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

That's rough. Netgear lost me as a customer. I loved my nighthawk and after 7 years its finally going bad. I got until the 27th to drop this thing off at Kohls to get a refund so I am sure ill find a replacement for it sooner rather than later.

Message 551 of 656
tak1313
Luminary

If you're happy with the Orbi, keep it.  Not EVERYBODY is having the DNS issue, and some are completely happy with it, just as some are completely unhappy with other brands as well.  It's a crapshoot on everything tech.

Just be aware of POTENTIAL problems that can occur.

It's like buying a car.  ALL car brands/models have deeply satisfied and deeply dissatisfied customers.  Some have frequent/major problems with a specific car, and some have absolutely no problem with the same vehicle for its entire life.

I actually did NOT have the DNS problem before I switched it to AP - I switched it to AP because of the the lack of controls plus QOS problems I was having with my wife's zoom calls that the Orbi could not control because of bufferbloat (completely cured by using the Asus for routing).

Message 552 of 656
stsh
Star

@RockGuitarist1 wrote:

I'm so glad it looks like a ton of other people are having this issue. Guess I need to dig through these 22 pages and hopefully find a solution.

Edit: Sounds like this issue will never get resolved and I am better off returning the ORBI and getting a different brand of Mesh network.

if you're within the return window - send it back and stay away from netgear.

Message 553 of 656
ed-win
Guide

Returned my Netgear Orbi Wifi 6 RBK853 (EUR 1000) and bought the ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 (3-pack). It was 36% cheaper, and the router has much more configuration options. It seems like the mesh functionality is not as good as the Orbi, but it performs fine in our situation.

Asus has had some issues with the XT8 system too, especially with the Guest network, but most issues are fixed in the current firmware.

Message 554 of 656
tak1313
Luminary

In my opinion, Netgear REALLY missed the mark on Orbi.  Aside from the firmware/support issues, it's kind of idiotic to come out with such an advanced router, but dumb down the controls so much.

If they're concerned about novices messing with the settings, they can easily make the UI such that there are default "dumb" settings, and perhaps a walled off "advanced" settings section that requires some kind of intentional effort to get to.

A good example of this is the micro/travel routers by Gl-iNet.  They have basic settings to toy with, and in order to get to the more advanced settings (via Luci), you have to click on an "Advanced" option, then log in separately.

Message 555 of 656
vajim
Master

@tak1313 wrote:

In my opinion, Netgear REALLY missed the mark on Orbi.  Aside from the firmware/support issues, it's kind of idiotic to come out with such an advanced router, but dumb down the controls so much.

If they're concerned about novices messing with the settings, they can easily make the UI such that there are default "dumb" settings, and perhaps a walled off "advanced" settings section that requires some kind of intentional effort to get to.

A good example of this is the micro/travel routers by Gl-iNet.  They have basic settings to toy with, and in order to get to the more advanced settings (via Luci), you have to click on an "Advanced" option, then log in separately.

IMHO....they have too many settings....you give people options and they are bound to screw things up.  Heck we still see people buying the Orbi and not understanding the Orbi is a router and you really don't need another router.

Message 556 of 656
stsh
Star

@vajim wrote:

IMHO....they have too many settings....you give people options and they are bound to screw things up.  Heck we still see people buying the Orbi and not understanding the Orbi is a router and you really don't need another router.

Are you saying that customers should not be given options because some of them are too dumb? You can't be serious. 

If the customer doesn't know how to use a product it's really easy -  they should read the manual and learn. Or if they are too lazy to read they can always pay someone else who read the manual. 

Message 557 of 656
vajim
Master

@stsh wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Are you saying that customers should not be given options because some of them are too dumb? You can't be serious. 

Nope....NOT sayng that at, only reporting the reality.  Don't worry, NG is anywhere near taking away your FREEDOM.

Message 558 of 656
tak1313
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

Nope....NOT sayng that at, only reporting the reality.  Don't worry, NG is anywhere near taking away your FREEDOM.

They already have by NOT including/allowing more advanced options behind a wall or otherwise - they even removed the ability to use telnet so at least some could find/fix issues that they cannot.

Message 559 of 656
vajim
Master

@tak1313 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

They already have by NOT including/allowing more advanced options behind a wall or otherwise - they even removed the ability to use telnet so at least some could find/fix issues that they cannot.

Have what?   Your definition of freedom is twisted 

Message 560 of 656

So I ended up giving Orbi one last shot by getting a replacement and seeing if that would fix it. After spending 2 hours trying to get it setup up because how flawed and broken the setup process is with the app everything was all good, for about 24 hours. Then everything started acting up again. Can't load email, apps not loading, nothing, but switching to LTE everything works instantly.

So it comes down to this. It appears all mesh networks seem to have some kind of major issue. It also seems like the Eero Pro 6 is the only one that seems to work for everyone, but this is not an option for me because I need the ability to swap my router's MAC Address every so often to get a new public IP from my ISP. Eero does not have this ability.

So either I go back to having really bad service in my house and return the Orbi or have a $400 paper weight acting like an Access Point. Great...

Message 561 of 656

Update: Tried AP mode with preexisting Nighthawk router. Orbi completely broke and caused another networking fiasco. I've officially given up on Orbi and will never buy another Netgear product again in the future. I hope that one day you will get the firmware you all deserve. Cheers.

Message 562 of 656
tak1313
Luminary

It takes a little bit of work, but you may want to look in to an AiMesh setup.  You can pick up however many AiMesh capable Asus routers used for short money.  I know quite a few gamers who run AiMesh systems.

https://dongknows.com/asus-aimesh-overview/

Message 563 of 656
energie
Luminary

It could be in this particular case that the Nighthawk router is also not playing nice with the Orbi AX. I can't confirm it. However, from the replies I read, including myself, am using a different brand router as router. Just make sure that you disable the wifi. Else I can imagine connectivity issues coming in to the picture. Next to this, the whole way on how DHCP/DNS/etc is handled seems to be different on an Asus router compared to a Netgear router. 

My current set-up, ISP modem/router (bridge mode) - Asus N66U router (disabled wifi) - Orbi AX - also connected devices using lan (ethernet) cables to the Orbi AX. It took a bit of time for the Asus router to actually start working and to get an IP from the ISP modem/router. However, that I guess is just related to the Asus router. This entire set-up works.

Message 564 of 656

@energieI assumed it wasn't playing nice with the Nighthawk router but for whatever reason, I wasn't even able to access the Nighthawk router via the gateway ip. I even removed the Orbi and tried accessing the Nighthawk via gateway and it was just completely busted at that point. This is just too much of a headache. It's supposed to be plug and play but these Orbis are far from that. I just gave up on it altogether.

Message 565 of 656
stsh
Star

there's not such thing as playing nice or not playing nice. It's basic networking.

Make sure that all of your subnets are configured correctly and you have correct gateways on each device that match the right network id's and no ip conflicts. And pay attention to what you configure for both interfaces and which device is used as dhcp. 

It sounds like wrong network settings

Message 566 of 656

If you read my previous post you would've saw that once I put the Orbi in AP mode, it made my Nighthawk completely inaccessible. It put me in a loop of saying "we changed your IP to work with your ISP" and never let me past that step. Doesn't matter now. All the Orbi's are boxed up and getting returned today. Things are back to normal with my Nighthawk.

Message 567 of 656
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

@vajim 

No body cares what you get!

Arris 6183
R7800
RBK50
Message 568 of 656
energie
Luminary

The problem most likely is that the Nightgear router is in the 192.168.1.1 range for example and the Orbi AX also. The Asus router actually will notice this and change its own subnet to 192.168.2.1 to avoid such conflicts.

Message 569 of 656
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:

@vajim 

No body cares what you get!

This actually meant for doctor furry.   

dufus

@FURRYe38 

Message 570 of 656
msinex
Apprentice

Just a quick update from my side.  About 10 days into shifting the Orbi into AP mode and running a TP Link Archer as a wired router and it has worked flawlessly.  The obvious DNS issues that plagued many of my devices and my work laptop have been completely eliminated.  It has also eliminated some freezing issues I was having with both apps on my AppleTV (HBO Max and other streaming services would sometimes time out and cause me to have to reboot) and errors I was getting in how my WHDVR was working via DirectTV.  I hadn't attributed this before to the Orbi DNS issue, but it apparently was assuming these errors leave.  While still completely flabbergasted that such an expensive mesh system could have such a fundamentally and unaddressed flaw, I'm much happeir with it in AP mode (especially since I couldn't return the damn thing!)

Message 571 of 656
DanoCanuck
Aspirant

So glad I've read this thread. Thankfully I can correct my mistake now. Received my 853 system yesterday and it's going straight back. Not even opening the box, straight back. I'm not going to buy a stand alone router to fix built in problems of the Orbi nor try the work arounds to fix what shouldn't be a problem. Not even going to see if my hardware is good, straight back. What blows my mind more than anything is the lack of NG involvement here. I've used many NG products over the years and have been generally pleased. I'm not going to put up with inherent bugs right out of the box though. Return.  

Message 572 of 656
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats your choice to not try your system. Not everyone sees this problem. Mines working well. Even on recent FW.

NG IS aware of this problem for those that are effected by it. 

Good Luck. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 573 of 656
Validus
Apprentice

With the latest firmware and using the 6to4 Tunnel option under the router admin settings, I had no issues.

However, Google Search started popping up a "6to4 Tunnel detected - This is being deprecated warning with a forced captcha puzzle to complete each time.

"We have detected you are using a 6to4 tunnel. 6to4 is deprecated and will be shutdown shortly."

My ISP doesn't support direct IP6 connections, so I disabled the 6to4 Tunnel to get rid of the Google deprecation warning and went back to an IP4 connection.

As soon as doing so, DNS errors started appearing again. So it's clearly only IP4 connections affected (or affected the most).

If you can't do IP6 with your ISP, currently I can not recommend this router Mesh. They won't bother fix it.

Message 574 of 656
FURRYe38
Guru

IPv6 6to4 isn't required to be suported by the ISP to use 6to4 on the router. I've used 6to4 with mine and it works. My ISP doesn't support any native IPv6. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 575 of 656
Top Contributors
Announcements