Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

lof
Guide
Guide

Good to hear, if only this were released earlier! I might look at rebuying the system now

Message 476 of 579
BriceLB
Guide

I am looking forward to the release of this update for the RBR850 ans RBS850. 

My problem is different from most users. I have a router (peplink Balance 20X) between my Modem (in Bridge mode) and my Orbi RBR850. 

When I use the Orbi in Router mode, most things works (with occasionally the connection between the RBR850 and one of the satellite that goes down). 

When I use the Orb in AP mode, the peplink does the routing and everything seems to work fine for a few hours to a few days. Then suddenly all my IoT devices cant resolve some DNS queries (Google Nest Hubs, Homepod Mini, Samsung Smart TVs, Philips Hue hub, PlayStation, ...). 

Macs, iPads and iPhones works fine (except League of Legends, and a few more games...). And some device have strange problems. For example I can update the playstation but I cannot connect to the PSN. 

If I switch back the Orbi in Router mode, everything start to work fine again, but I have a double NAT. I think the Orbi Router caches and/or intercepts some DNS queries and there is a bug, EVEN IN AP MODE !!

I hope this update will finally fix the problem. 

Message 477 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this Pepink router have a DMZ? IF so, you can use the DMZ on this router for the Orbi in router mode...

Orbi in AP mode would not be routing or modifying any DNS. AP Mode is just data pass thru. 

@BriceLB wrote:

I am looking forward to the release of this update for the RBR850 ans RBS850. 

My problem is different from most users. I have a router (peplink Balance 20X) between my Modem (in Bridge mode) and my Orbi RBR850. 

When I use the Orbi in Router mode, most things works (with occasionally the connection between the RBR850 and one of the satellite that goes down). 

When I use the Orb in AP mode, the peplink does the routing and everything seems to work fine for a few hours to a few days. Then suddenly all my IoT devices cant resolve some DNS queries (Google Nest Hubs, Homepod Mini, Samsung Smart TVs, Philips Hue hub, PlayStation, ...). 

Macs, iPads and iPhones works fine (except League of Legends, and a few more games...). And some device have strange problems. For example I can update the playstation but I cannot connect to the PSN. 

If I switch back the Orbi in Router mode, everything start to work fine again, but I have a double NAT. I think the Orbi Router caches and/or intercepts some DNS queries and there is a bug, EVEN IN AP MODE !!

I hope this update will finally fix the problem. 

Message 478 of 579
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

how can we obtain this beta firmware?

Message 479 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 480 of 579
energie
Luminary

That sounds like some good news - after more than a year - if the beta firmware for the 7 series fixes the DNS Issue. Does make you wonder why isn't there any beta firmware for the 8 series. And why wouldn't Netgear just post the beta firmware, or why doesn't the moderator make a post in this thread.

I am not sure if my Orbi AX will ever be used a router going forward. The capabilities of the Orbi AX are limited and the DNS / DHCP mechanism is also working a bit different compared to Asus. I am getting a really good user experience with the Orbi AX as expensive access point and my old Asus router doing the routing work.

Message 481 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

@energie wrote:

I am not sure if my Orbi AX will ever be used a router going forward. The capabilities of the Orbi AX are limited and the DNS / DHCP mechanism is also working a bit different compared to Asus. I am getting a really good user experience with the Orbi AX as expensive access point and my old Asus router doing the routing work.

Same here.  After running the Orbi as AP and Asus for routing duties, I am never going back to using the Orbi standalone again.  While it does great for wireless duty, it's routing and controls totally s*ck compared to the Asus.  Next upgrade will be totally Netgear free for me.

Message 482 of 579
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Wait 6 months to a full year, if it actually exists.      How easy it is to claim access to a beta and then say the NDA prevents showing screenshot proof lest legal issues.

If it's true, now I'll be angry how long it takes to come to consumers.    If it's false, thanks for kicking the hornets nest of customer dissatisfaction.

Message 483 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a 7 series, why don't you contact @Christian_R and ask him for the beta? 

@SeaRefractor wrote:

Wait 6 months to a full year, if it actually exists.      How easy it is to claim access to a beta and then say the NDA prevents showing screenshot proof lest legal issues.

If it's true, now I'll be angry how long it takes to come to consumers.    If it's false, thanks for kicking the hornets nest of customer dissatisfaction.

Message 484 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

This Beta firmware is as good as official version. Zero issues.
Message 485 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

I have updated my router and two satellites to the beta firmware, v3.2.19.4. I reset the network connections and manually rebooted all three devices (router, satellite, satellite in that order). After releasing and renewing device IP settings on a device I knew had issues, I (so far) have not had issues with that device (after trying to get it to break for about 30 seconds, I could not).

I will keep the community updated, but I am hopeful.Thank you, @Christian_R for providing the beta firmware.

Rich G

P.S. The config of the dnsmasq run line does not appear to be changed, so I'm not sure what they changed:

dnsmasq -h -n -c 0 -N -i br* -r /tmp/dns/resolv.conf -u root

DNSBench shows better performance than outside router for DNS lookups except for 'cached' - I am assuming that dnsmasq is still providing no caching capability on the router.  I've structured my layout to point the Orbi at the DMZ router DNS and utilize it for cached entries - at 7 ms delay, it's probably not going to be noticeable.  We'll see when I boot up the games later today.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 486 of 579
stsh
Star

It did change. They did exactly what I was doing before. And it should work just fine.
They moved resolve.conf from /tmp to /tmp/dns
If this is how it runs in the new firmware that will solve all of the dns issues.
Message 487 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

@stsh I shared your solution with NG support. They probably implemented that.
Message 488 of 579
BooBooJeffries
Aspirant

Is there beta firmware for this issue on AX6 or just AX7? I've reached out about a beta but haven't heard back. 

Message 489 of 579

Just wanted to post as a bystandard that I appreciate the community pushing towards a resolution on this. I've had the RBR850 for about 3 months and have been patiently waiting for a solution to the DNS issue (as I experience it as well). I'll be monitoring this thread in the hopes that beta firmware comes out for series 8 in the near future. Thanks!

Message 490 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

Based on my discussion with NG support, once this firmware is certified for sereies 7, solution will be extended to other impacted models.

Message 491 of 579
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

Did they give you an ETA?
Message 492 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

I have 7 series and do not own 8.I was told about possible certification for Series 7 this week. Based on that information, other may follow next week.

Message 493 of 579
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Sent a PM to @Christian_R but have not received any reply to the request for a beta firmware.   Perhaps it's closer to release and I just have to wait?

Message 494 of 579
houcatdad
Star

I haven't gotten a reply yet either. I would love the beta firmware.

Can't someone who has it open up a google drive or wetransfer link or something? 🙂

I would love to have some properly working internet/dns in the house.

Message 495 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

Are you looking for 7 series?
Message 496 of 579
houcatdad
Star

Yes. I have the rbk752

Message 497 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

PM me and I will share the link for 7 series beta.

Message 498 of 579
Tobamory
Tutor

Anybody care to share the link for the 853 models ? i hate not having armour 😞 which i dont get in AP mode....

Message 499 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Has not been mentioned about a beta or any updates as of yet for the 8 series Orbi. I presume they have that in the pipe. NG doesn't post when that will be forth coming. We all hope it will be soon. 

@Tobamory wrote:

Anybody care to share the link for the 853 models ? i hate not having armour 😞 which i dont get in AP mode....

Message 500 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7