Tobamory
Tutor

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

Thanks Furry
Message 501 of 579
houcatdad
Star

I have the Rbk752. I was given the beta firmware and just loaded it 30 minutes ago.

I can confirm the DNS problems are gone. Browsing is snappy AF and there don't seem to be issues.

Ehhhh.... while writing this my phone just said wifi disconnected... and it came back. Might just be an anomaly.
It's definitely browsing good!!!!!

Fn finally!
Message 502 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS after applying the beta update? 

@houcatdad wrote:
I have the Rbk752. I was given the beta firmware and just loaded it 30 minutes ago.

I can confirm the DNS problems are gone. Browsing is snappy AF and there don't seem to be issues.

Ehhhh.... while writing this my phone just said wifi disconnected... and it came back. Might just be an anomaly.
It's definitely browsing good!!!!!

Fn finally!

Message 503 of 579
ngflguy
Aspirant

Can someone please share a link to the beta firmware with me? I have the RBK752 as well and I have been fighting this issue since February.  I have tried all the work arounds but the DNS issue still haunts me. Encuraging that the firmware to fix this issue will be widely released soon, but would love to run the beta firmware in the meantime.

Message 504 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent.

@ngflguy wrote:

Can someone please share a link to the beta firmware with me? I have the RBK752 as well and I have been fighting this issue since February.  I have tried all the work arounds but the DNS issue still haunts me. Encuraging that the firmware to fix this issue will be widely released soon, but would love to run the beta firmware in the meantime.

Message 505 of 579
ngflguy
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 . Applied the RBR750 first and then the RBS750 second and worked like a charm.  I have been running it for almost 2 hours now and no DNS failures! 

Message 506 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Always apply the RBS first, then RBR lastly in the future. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 507 of 579
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Thank you for the beta firmware.   I'd received it and have applied it.

While annecdotal, it already feels crisper/snapier in response that prior.    I know it'll take time to be fully certain the DNS issue has been resolved, but I think I may have had more of a DNS performance impact prior than I knew.

Same computers are resolving and serving up content quicker than before the beta.    Thumbs up so far!

Message 508 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. hHould be good now.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 509 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

@msinex 

Ok for ALL you 8 series Orbi users, please make contact with @Christian_R 

Ask for access to Firmware v3.2.18.223. Beta is ready and being made available for those who want to try this version. 

"Unknown/Phantom Satellite is showing up in the Orbi App
Netgear logs of Satellite are not collected in GUI debug logs
DNS issues"

Once you get the files, update the RBS first then RBR lastly. I would power OFF all units for 30 seconds then back ON. Same with your ISP MODEM/ONT. 

If any issues are still seen, you'll need to do a factory reset and clean setup from scratch. 

I would encourage for those having DNS issue to give this a try. Seems to be fixed for 7 series users. Smiley Wink

Message 510 of 579
BooBooJeffries
Aspirant

^Thanks. Just sent a PM. I never received a reply from any previous PMs to them. 

Message 511 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Let me know if you don't get a reply today...

@BooBooJeffries wrote:

^Thanks. Just sent a PM. I never received a reply from any previous PMs to them. 

Message 512 of 579

Thanks! Just sent a request myself. Did a cutover this morning and had to refresh alot. Looking forward to this fix!
Message 513 of 579
rr20552
Apprentice

Was given access to the series 8 beta which I have now applied.

DNS issue appears to have been resolved and internet appears to be much faster.

So far so good.

Now all we need is parental filtering!
Message 514 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a post about this in the beta thread as well. 

Thank you for letting us know. 

@rr20552 wrote:
Was given access to the series 8 beta which I have now applied.

DNS issue appears to have been resolved and internet appears to be much faster.

So far so good.

Now all we need is parental filtering!

Message 515 of 579
energie
Luminary

I might give the beta a try later on as well, at least some positive news - after 12 months. Currently I have the Orbi's in AP mode and things are now just 'working' perfectly. I noticed that the DNS/NAT handling on the Orbi's was different (worse) compared to the Asus. So I am curious to find out if with the fix for the DNS issue this also got changed. 

Message 516 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know your results when you test it. 

Loaded mine last nite. I turned off 6to4 and using ISP DNS. Everything default for DNS. Nothing special or any work arounds being used. 

Message 517 of 579
Validus
Luminary

Testing the Firmware v3.2.18.223 Beta on the Orbi Netgear RBK853 appears to have resolved the DNS Issues. Running nicely so far. Will update if any issues detected, so far none using IPv4.

Message 518 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a post about this in the beta thread as well. 

Thank you for letting us know. 

@Validus wrote:

Testing the Firmware v3.2.18.223 Beta on the Orbi Netgear RBK853 appears to have resolved the DNS Issues. Running nicely so far. Will update if any issues detected, so far none using IPv4.

Message 519 of 579
unyin
Aspirant

Can I get the Beta firmware for RBR750 and RBS750? I DM'd Christian this morning and haven't received a response. Thanks!

Message 520 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Its the weekend here so please be patient.

@unyin wrote:

Can I get the Beta firmware for RBR750 and RBS750? I DM'd Christian this morning and haven't received a response. Thanks!

Message 521 of 579
sepsole
Aspirant

Glad to read this.

I will ask the beta firmware to @Christian_R . My RBK852 system has been working very badly the last month... I hope the beta firmware will solve the issues.

Message 522 of 579
bullm00n
Luminary

I installed the beta on Friday.  I did the RBS850 first, then the RBR850.  The I powered everything down for a minute and restarted.

The only issue I had was I could not access the RBS wia WEB browser.  I rebooted it and it worked briefly, then no access. It did work and I could get to it through the phone app and connected devices worked.  I decided to remove the wired backhaul connection and restart the RBS.  I could then access it with the WEB browser and all was fine.  I left it like this on Saturday and today, I switched it back to wired and it has been fine all day.  So I think something with the upgrade made it necessary to re-establish the backhaul with wireless first, then switch to wired.  Otherwise all is fine so far.

Message 523 of 579
Amcbroom81
Tutor

I am also wanting to try the beta, iPhones and iPads have issues connecting or acting like there is no internet. Try to load apps or web pages on phone and nothing, so I get frustrated and turn off my wifi and use my phones internet. Hope this Beta can help
Message 524 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make contact with @Christian_R to get access to the beta.

@Amcbroom81 wrote:
I am also wanting to try the beta, iPhones and iPads have issues connecting or acting like there is no internet. Try to load apps or web pages on phone and nothing, so I get frustrated and turn off my wifi and use my phones internet. Hope this Beta can help

Message 525 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7