Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

Mstrbig
Master

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

I just finished a long conversation with a Netgear support rep.

They claim that upgrading the RBR850 and RBS850 to the latest Firmware Version 3.2.16.22 fixes the issue. But I see, from what I'm reading, it may not fix the issue. The correct procedure is to manually update the satellites first then the router, then perform a full factory reset after update. 

The rep also told me the fix for the RBR750 and RBS750 is to manually install the following fiirmware, satellites first then router,  and perform a full factory reset after update is complete:

Download Link:

RBR750 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBR750-V3.2.15.32_1.3.25_HOTFIX.zip

RBS750 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBS750-V3.2.15.32_1.3.25_HOTFIX.zip

I have not tried these yet, so I have no idea if they will fix the issue.

But after installing these updates, I am to report back to level 2, and if no help there, level 3 support. So it appears they are working to fix the issue.

Message 51 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

Thanks for sharing that information. Intersting the current version is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4. The version in your link seems to be the older version (based on version number). Are they recommending to download the older version?

Message 52 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried this version if you have an 8 series Orbi? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Out-Today/m-p/2005684/highlight/true#M9268

@Ace321 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that information. Intersting the current version is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4. The version in your link seems to be the older version (based on version number). Are they recommending to download the older version?

Message 53 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@Ace321 wrote:

Yes they are recommending the downgrade. He tried to tell me it's a hotfix, but it looks like a firmware downgrade.

Message 54 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

I have 7 series. that is why I could not try the other version you shared.
Message 55 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you tried this version if you have an 8 series Orbi? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Out-Today/m-p/2005684/highlight/true#M9268

@Ace321 wrote:

That is the version I previously posted that the Netgear tech claimed would fix the 850 issue. However, I see posts that it did not fix it.

So I guess it's still unknown. I will be updating a couple RBK853 systems tomorrow. Hopefully it resolves some issues.

Message 56 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, Ya, not sure why I haven't seen these issues on my 8 series. 

I've been wanting to upgade to v22 however in the middle of NEST debugging with NG so I can't deviate currently. 

Let us know what you find with v22 loaded. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

still unknown. I will be updating a couple RBK853 systems tomorrow. Hopefully it resolves some issues.

Message 57 of 579
vestalt
Tutor

@Mstrbig,

Any luck?

I'm in the market for wifi6 tri band but the DNS issue is not going to work for me. I work in IT on VPNs all day every weekday and sometimes on weekends, even before the pandemic.
Message 58 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

And for some, we have not seen this DNS issue to date. And yes, there are two VPNS running all day while at work here at home. 

Message 59 of 579
vestalt
Tutor

@FURRYe38,

That's great for those lucky ones, but a *ton* of people have this issue, as evidenced by the many threads here, as well as plenty of reviews across the Internet. There's no way I would buy Netgear while it's still a problem, not for $500 nor for $100, just to find out I can't use the router as a router without regular dropouts. This isn't a one-off; Netgear needs to solve it. Their Nighthawk's don't even have this problem, so I'm sure they can if they want to.
Message 60 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I agree. There are some having problem. Hopefully NG will get it resolved soon. Hoping the new FW does...still out on this. 

I would find something that works for you though. Good Luck. 

Message 61 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@vestalt wrote:
@Mstrbig,

Any luck?

I'm in the market for wifi6 tri band but the DNS issue is not going to work for me. I work in IT on VPNs all day every weekday and sometimes on weekends, even before the pandemic.

Downgrading the firmware on the 750 series and using the new firmware on the 850 series does not solve the intermittant issue.

What I found is, if I disable the AX features and don't use a public IPv6 server, (I'm using Google), because my ISP does not support it yet, the issue goes away. 

But even though it is annoying, it never stops you from going to the selected website. It just throws up a DNS error for 2 to 4 seconds then connects to the website. I reported it to Netgear. I assume they will release an update firmware.

Message 62 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

@Mstrbig Are you disabling IPv6 on the RBR as well? I know mine is since my ISP doesn't natively support IPv6. I have AX mode enabled.

Odd that disabling AX mode seems to resolve this...

Message 63 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mstrbig Are you disabling IPv6 on the RBR as well? I know mine is since my ISP doesn't natively support IPv6. I have AX mode enabled.

Yes, disabling IPv6 for the entire system. I'm thinking it may be a timing issue with the resolving of the Google IPv6 servers taking too long before switching to IPv4 servers. As soon as I ebable IPv6 and add the servers (any public IPv6 server), the intrmittant error is back.

Message 64 of 579
vestalt
Tutor

*buys wifi 6 gear for $500-1000*

"well it works if I disable wifi 6"

Message 65 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And for some, we have not seen this DNS issue to date. And yes, there are two VPNS running all day while at work here at home. 

Have you activated IPv6 on your devices, windows PCs and laptops? Upon a little more testing, if I uncheck the IPv6 section on my Windows devices, the random DNS errors disappear, because the PC is no longer trying to access the DNS servers.

Message 66 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

@Mstrbig Interesting finding..I disabled ipv6 on my PC and these errors gone away. I still have AX enabled. I will keep testing further with just ipv6 disabled.

Message 67 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

So does leaving AX mode enabled with IPv6 still cause the problem? 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, disabling IPv6 for the entire system. I'm thinking it may be a timing issue with the resolving of the Google IPv6 servers taking too long before switching to IPv4 servers. As soon as I ebable IPv6 and add the servers (any public IPv6 server), the intrmittant error is back.

Message 68 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of my devices don't have IPv6 enabled I believe. Since my ISP doesn't support native IPv6, I have no use for it until then. Been like this for years unfortunately. I know there are tunnel support but just don't have a need. IPv4 is still working for all my needs. So IPv6 gets disable on all my rotuers I test with. So this maybe one reason why I'm not seeing this issue. If you and others have IPv6 enabled, has not been the first time this has cause problems on NG routers. Orbi AC saw problems a while back that I believe NG fixed finally. 

Someting to let NG know about and if AX mode isn't effecting anything, lets try enabling it and see. I've had AX mode enabled on mine with IPv6 disabled and I see zero DNS issues. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you activated IPv6 on your devices, windows PCs and laptops? Upon a little more testing, if I uncheck the IPv6 section on my Windows devices, the random DNS errors disappear, because the PC is no longer trying to access the DNS servers.

Message 69 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No, I found that AX mode enabled does not cause the problem. I'm pretty sure now it is a timing issue where when IPv6 is enabled, the PC searches for an IPv6 DNS server and times out, generates the error, then looks for the IPv4 DNS server. This is just a guess, but it makes sense, as the web page most always connects, after 2 to 5 seconds.

Message 70 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Thought it odd that AX mode would be a cause of a DNS problem. Smiley Surprised

Ya, Seems like if users have IPv6 enabled and having DNS issues, would make sence this could be causing problems. 

Someting to let NG know about and hopefully get them going in the right directlon. 

@Blanca_O @Christian_R 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No, I found that AX mode enabled does not cause the problem. I'm pretty sure now it is a timing issue where when IPv6 is enabled, the PC searches for an IPv6 DNS server and times out, generates the error, then looks for the IPv4 DNS server. This is just a guess, but it makes sense, as the web page most always connects, after 2 to 5 seconds.

Message 71 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

I'm the original poster of this email, and had been experiencing these repeated and frustrating issues (although they were intermittent).  I have one added data point, but understand that it is very preliminary.  I just shifted ISPs on Friday, and shifted from cable (spectrum) to fiber (metronet).  Since that shift, I have had zero issues from a DNS standpoint.  It's only been a bit over 48 hours, so it could still be coincidence since they were intermittent before (in which case I have jinxed myself!).  This could be consistent with your theory about if your ISP can manage the IPv6 appropriately.  I haven't updated firmware or changed any other settings.

I will check back in a week or so and let you know how thing are going.

Message 72 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Is IPv6 and AX mode enabled or disabled on your RBR? 

Does your ISP support native IPv6? 

What is the mfr and model# of the new ISP modem/ONT?

@msinex wrote:

I'm the original poster of this email, and had been experiencing these repeated and frustrating issues (although they were intermittent).  I have one added data point, but understand that it is very preliminary.  I just shifted ISPs on Friday, and shifted from cable (spectrum) to fiber (metronet).  Since that shift, I have had zero issues from a DNS standpoint.  It's only been a bit over 48 hours, so it could still be coincidence since they were intermittent before (in which case I have jinxed myself!).  This could be consistent with your theory about if your ISP can manage the IPv6 appropriately.  I haven't updated firmware or changed any other settings.

I will check back in a week or so and let you know how thing are going.

Message 73 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

It's a Nokia fiber optic modem from Metronet.  They have stickers all over it, so I can't find a model number anywhere.  

I do still have IPv6 disabled under the advanced settings from a previous attempt to debug.  It was disabled back with my old ISP as well, but I still had the DNS issues.  Is the AX setting in Advanced Wireless settings?  I have the boxes checked for WMM for 2.4 and 5.

I can't find any firm infomration on if Metronet supports IPv6 outside of a few random Reddit posts that seem to indicate they do.

I still haven't had any further DNS issues with the new ISP, and I'm on day 5.

Message 74 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

@msinex I also disabled ipv6 on my PC. That is when errors disappeared.
Message 75 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7