Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

rgautier
Apprentice

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

1. Installed Armor when first installed.  Did NOT install it at last hard firmware factory reset.

2. Have Verizon FiOS in an area that does NOT support IPv6.  Have a Cable Modem provided by FiOS to provide routing to the ONT over cable.  Had no issue with exact same gateway and AC router (also Netgear) prior to the Orbi.  Do not suspect they cause any issue other than the unavailability of IPv6 support.  DNS changed on this router to Google DNS to avoid DNS advertising insertion from Verizon.

3. Changed DNS to both Google and Cloudflare, neither fixes the issue.

Have current firmware 17.12 on satellites and router.  Still have issue - the worst of which is IOT devices where I cannot control DNS and am forced to point to gateway dnsmasq service (piece of junk  that I blame for this).  Alexa disconnects during streaming, TVs and Netflix randomly stop or buffer whenever it goes wonky.  My IP-based cameras randomly disconnect.

Could fix the problem with a line or two of code to set my own DNS to my Verizon modem in the DHCP OPTIONS, would like either telnet ability to the router, or that option in the GUI to allow me to avoid the DNS on the Orbi router.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 126 of 579
sheckler
Aspirant

I'm on AT&T Gigapower and have consistently had the DNS with my RBR850. The only way I've been able to avoid it is to switch to AP mode. Additional note: Switching to AP mode seemed to have some sort of compatibility issue with my old Pace gateway, but is silky smooth with my new BGW320 gateway.

Message 127 of 579
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@Validus wrote:

I have the same problem here in regards to the DNS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/DNS-Probe-finished-nxdomain-amp-missing-router-logs/m-p/205...

Could everyone with this issue (me included) provide details in regards to:

1) Have you ever used and actived the NetGear Armor option under the Orbi App?

2) Are you using a certain Optical Network Terminal (ONT) model / brand?

3) Are you using certain DNS Servers?

1) I disabled the NetGear Armor option the day I bought the router. I've got no interest in signing up for a subscription service and don't have a need for this product.

2) Not sure what that is but if you mean the gateway modem, I'm using my ISP's provided model - a Virgin Media Superhub 3 - and have no choice in that.

3) I've tried both my ISP's own DNS servers and Google's DNS servers, and had the same issue with both of them. With respect, I don't think it should be down to us end users to constantly try different DNS servers in the hope that one of them is a millisecond quicker and therefore acts as a partial workaround.

My Orbi is now working fine as an Access Point, with my ISP's router handling DNS. It seems clear to me this is a bug with the Orbi system - it may be an incompatibility with certain brands of modem but unfortunately as I have no choice but to use the ISP's provided model, I'm unable to do any testing in that area.

Interestingly my ISP does not support IPv6, I see one of the other posters @rgautier here has said the same thing - I wonder if there is anything in that.

Message 128 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

No Netgear Armor

Internet modem/router is Netgear CM1000

Have had DNS issues on 2 separately purchased RBK853 systems (RBK850 3 piece system with 1 router, 2 satellites)

Disabling AX had no effect

Specifying DNS servers on the router had no effect 

Updating firmware and doing full factory reset has no permanent effect - it reduces DNS errors for 1-2 days then they return, which makes it appear this could be a caching or memory leak issue. 

No DNS issues on older Orbi or Asus wifi systems.

Have tried all proposed fixes in this thread and others, none resolve the problems.

The only "workaround" is using IPv6 and this fix only helps IPv6 clients - any device still using IPv4 will have periodic failures, especially disruptive to IoT devices and some mobile apps which may not retry after failure like your PC browsers do. 

Netgear support could not care less about this issue.

Message 129 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Is anyone else getting the six dot 'hour glass' waiting icon that never completes when you try to submit updates to tickets?  3 days in a row I've tried updating notes to my support case but it never completes.   Maybe netgear support is using Orbi RBK850's to run their infrastructure as well. 

Message 130 of 579
Mikey94025
Hero

@DNS_PROBE_FAIL wrote:

Is anyone else getting the six dot 'hour glass' waiting icon that never completes when you try to submit updates to tickets?  3 days in a row I've tried updating notes to my support case but it never completes.   Maybe netgear support is using Orbi RBK850's to run their infrastructure as well. 

Yes, I got the infinite animated dots also when I replied with feedback to my support ticket.

I figured out how to login using their feedback URL and see my support tickets, discovered that your reply actually works and updates the ticket even though the spinning dots doesn't indicate success.

To login and see your Netgear support tickets:

1. Go to: https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/home.aspx
  2. Click on My Support on the left
  3. In Open Cases click on your support case number
  4. Now you see the communication history, including the Online Comments made in the portal but where you saw the spinning dots.
Message 131 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Thanks, the same happened to me, so there are several of the same replies to my support ticket 😉 

Netgear Support, please help with this issue! 

Message 132 of 579
barthouse
Initiate

I'm having similar issues DNS with my varioius devices in the home.  It really sucks to have these delays when bringing up various sites and definitely causing problems adding IoT like devices which are struggling to resolve.

I'm still in the return window.  I think I'm going to opt to just return the product instead of wasting more time trying to get it fixed with support which does not appear to be helping folkson these forums.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 133 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Netgear support isn't even updating my ticket - just ignoring it.

I also tried updating my Xfinity internet modem/router from an older CM1000 to a brand new CM1200 and there has been no improvement. 

Even with IPv6 enabled, my iphone constantly times out on wifi - sites, apps, push notifications, etc.

It is shameful that Netgear has so many customers with this issue, but is doing nothing to remedy it. 

Message 134 of 579
Validus
Luminary

Still affecting me as well, even with Netgear Armor activated.

I now believe it's just part of the webpage failing, perhaps not actually all of it?

For even this website: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Sometimes gives a "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" message.

Yet I've narrowed it down to a possible URL:

https://cloud.github.com/downloads/lafeber/world-flags-sprite/flags32.css

That is always failing with the same message, even with the webpage loaded in fine.

Check with your web-browser console open (commonly using F12) and on the network tab to monitor while surfing around till you get the problem to popup for a second, then check what that website is loading.

Other websites which random show this "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" issue have similar breaks with (failed)net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED or 499 Error Status on one of the links it tries to call while loading in the entire webpage.

The error might actually be valid if that's the case, but ends up confusing the user by showing up on the entire site for a few seconds before loading the rest fine? The question is (even if that's valid) why that shows on this router, yet not others?

Message 135 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Validus, I think what you are seeing is a symptom of the DNS errors, not the cause.

When you have failures to resolve names, it can result in all kinds of other errors and failures.

The root of this seems to be in DNS resolution and very likely a correlation to DNS caching because when you setup a new system or upgrade firmeware, it's ok for a few hours or up to 1.5 days, then the problem gets worse.

Message 136 of 579
Validus
Luminary

@DNS_PROBE_FAIL Perhaps? While this problem seems random, it's not.

If I'm using on Google, Gmail, Youtube, or Netflix, etc, certain websites or services work 100% without any issues.

Yet I come back to a few certain other websites, where this "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" message pops up random. That can occur on a daily basis, if clearing out your Internet Temporary Files and DNS, then going back to the same website/webpage. Yet what I question is what part? I believe it's either a certain server hosting or call from those websites in question. So currently attempting to narrow that down.

In my last post, I suggested it's calling https://cloud.github.com which has been deprecated.

If you instead called: https://www.github.com/downloads/lafeber/world-flags-sprite/flags32.css

It redirects to a new URL on Amazon: https://github.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/lafeber/world-flags-sprite/flags32.css?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS...

I also get a call to URL: https://s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js

Commonly giving a 499 - Client Closed Request. I believe that means the Client shut off getting it before the server was ready to send it. I don't know if that's my security blocking it or the router itself timing out and just not waiting? If I go to it directly, that sometimes works.

As for the Wifi. I believe I had drop outs at the start, till I tried the trial version of NetGear Armor. After that activation, even if later disabled, it appeared to resolve the Wifi devices. Even figured out a previously unknown one. The Wifi is fine and stable for me now. So either that works out something with the Wifi devices while connected or there's another DNS layer in between your own DNS and NetGear Armor?

Message 137 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

I'll try the Netgear Armor as one last shot before returning the system. 

When you enable it, you're in a 30 day trial. Did you let the trial expire and it still resolved the issues? 

I could actually see how the Armor could cause DNS issues, if it's processing all DNS lookups through it.  Even if inactive, it could be a factor. 

Message 138 of 579
driph
Tutor

I'm experiencing what appears to be the same issue, but when it happens, it lasts for 2-3 minutes before everything returns to normal.

Like others have stated, I'm unable to ping the router while the connection is in this state. Additionally, though this is just anecdotal, it appears to primarily happen when I'm connected to a satellite; I've yet to experience the problem while connected to the main router.

Message 139 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

I tried Netgear Armor and it did not resolve the DNS issues.

Message 140 of 579
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@driph wrote:

it appears to primarily happen when I'm connected to a satellite; I've yet to experience the problem while connected to the main router.

I've regularly experienced the issue on a PC that's connected to the main router via ethernet, so the issue is not specific to satellites or even wi-fi connections.

Message 141 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

It affects all devices that use IPv4. Most devices in the world still use IPv4 and there is no technical requirement to use IPv6.

• Most browsers on PCs will retry on DNS failure so you briefly see an error page, then it refreshes and you get to the site.
  • Many devices and apps don't automatically retry on DNS failures, so they stay hung in an error state.  This is a huge problem for mobile apps and IoT devices. 

None of the following permanently resolve the issue:

• Rebooting Orbi router or satellites  
  • Updated firmware, including manually installing the latest available
  • Changing frequency settings (2.4 / 5Ghz related) 
  • Using Guest vs Internal network, both affected 
  • Disabling AX functionality
  • Upgrading/replacing or rebooting the internet modem
  • Enabling IP6to4 tunnel 
  • Contacting Netgear support for help 

These Temporarily reduce errors, but it only lasts up to 1-2 days at most, then issues return.  I believe this is because these clear out DNS cache or some other internal cache on the Orbi system, which I think is related to the problem.

• Firmware upgrade or downgrade
  • Factory Reset

Message 142 of 579
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you are familiar with linux and telneting to the orbi-router you could see what I discovered back in september 2020 and my workaround (no problem with DNS since then in my case) 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-frequently-issuing-DNS-REFUSED-responses/m-p/1979751... 

I also submitted this to the developers for further investigation, but no feedback what so ever.

Message 143 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Thanks arildj!

Were you able to update firmware after this change without any issues? 

Does firmware update change the setting back to factory defaults? 

Message 144 of 579
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The firmware-updates (done 2 or 3 times) goes as normal without problem, but you need to redo the workaround each time. 

Message 145 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Has anyone had success working with Netgear Support to a resolution?   I've been going back and forth with them for 19 DAYS and they keep asking me for more information but nothing progresses.  5 times they've asked for additional info so they can escalate it to level 2 but it still hasn't happened.  They've mentioned beta firmware, do this and we will do that, etc. but nothing happens.  And every update takes a long time to hear back from them. 

I only have a few days left to return the system.  Total disappointment.

Message 146 of 579
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

I have the RBK753 Orbit sat from Costco.    I also have the extended warranty with phone support.

I've yet to have the DNS issues resolved, but I suspect it'll eventually be fixed by firmware, just don't know how long.    For the most part, I've implemented a workaround that appears to have resolved the issue temporarily for me.

I am on firmware version V3.2.17.12_1.4.14.

I do use Netgear Armor (1 year with purchase, somewhat annoyed that it's not contiguous with the subscription I had with my former RBR50).

OpenDNS VIP subscription (allows for greater customization and performance over free version).

CenturyLink Fiber.

First off, I'd tried IPv6, but CenturyLink uses 6r (6 rapid deployment) tunneling that frequently has issues with some services, so this wasn't workable.   So looking forward to CenturyLink moving to a true dual stack IPv6, but since CenturyLinks supposed tests in certain market locations, I have seen no references of dual stack IPv6 expanding.    If the speed and cost wasn't so awesome, I'd be tempted to switch carriers.

I have Orbi configured to use the two OpenDNS servers.    And for the most part it's very fast (tested with Gibson Research DNS Benchmark.    Look at GRC dot Com / Freeware / Utilities / DNS Benchmark, it can help you determine what is the fastest DNS for your specific connection).

My workaround, as several others have suggested, was to go into each devices setting (where supported, several IoT devices are too limited to set) and change from DHCP assigned DNS to static DNS settings and point to OpenDNS.

I don't know if it's helping because it reduces the number of queries directly on the RBR750 router, but for the most part I don't have DNS issues.   Also OpenDNS still controlls my customization with my Public IP address and each device appears as that IP.

Netflix and some services still have occasional pauses, which will resume without interaction, but I suspect that's not DNS related but perhaps streaming support through Netgear Armor or perhaps that specific device?   (Roku TV downstairs doesn't have this issue but Samsung Series 8 4K does, so could be shoddy programming on the Samsung?).

At least gaming consoles no longer have issues with multiplayer gaming.

Message 147 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Have you tried the IPv6 6to4 DNS configuration? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@SeaRefractor wrote:

I have the RBK753 Orbit sat from Costco.    I also have the extended warranty with phone support.

I've yet to have the DNS issues resolved, but I suspect it'll eventually be fixed by firmware, just don't know how long.    For the most part, I've implemented a workaround that appears to have resolved the issue temporarily for me.

I am on firmware version V3.2.17.12_1.4.14.

I do use Netgear Armor (1 year with purchase, somewhat annoyed that it's not contiguous with the subscription I had with my former RBR50).

OpenDNS VIP subscription (allows for greater customization and performance over free version).

CenturyLink Fiber.

First off, I'd tried IPv6, but CenturyLink uses 6r (6 rapid deployment) tunneling that frequently has issues with some services, so this wasn't workable.   So looking forward to CenturyLink moving to a true dual stack IPv6, but since CenturyLinks supposed tests in certain market locations, I have seen no references of dual stack IPv6 expanding.    If the speed and cost wasn't so awesome, I'd be tempted to switch carriers.

I have Orbi configured to use the two OpenDNS servers.    And for the most part it's very fast (tested with Gibson Research DNS Benchmark.    Look at GRC dot Com / Freeware / Utilities / DNS Benchmark, it can help you determine what is the fastest DNS for your specific connection).

My workaround, as several others have suggested, was to go into each devices setting (where supported, several IoT devices are too limited to set) and change from DHCP assigned DNS to static DNS settings and point to OpenDNS.

I don't know if it's helping because it reduces the number of queries directly on the RBR750 router, but for the most part I don't have DNS issues.   Also OpenDNS still controlls my customization with my Public IP address and each device appears as that IP.

Netflix and some services still have occasional pauses, which will resume without interaction, but I suspect that's not DNS related but perhaps streaming support through Netgear Armor or perhaps that specific device?   (Roku TV downstairs doesn't have this issue but Samsung Series 8 4K does, so could be shoddy programming on the Samsung?).

At least gaming consoles no longer have issues with multiplayer gaming.

Message 148 of 579
energie
Luminary

I am experiencing DNS issues with the RBK752 on all firmwares used since purchase. Currently running the latest: V3.2.17.12_1.4.14. 

On occassion the DNS request will fail and a DNS timeout error will be displayed. Causing the browser to not load the webpage. Depending on the browser, for example Chrome, the browser will do a retry.Typically then the DNS look-up will succeed and the webpage will load. However, a browser like Firefox does not attempt a second try. So you're stuck with an error page.

At first I thought it might be because of the DNS servers of my ISP. Changed the DNS settings to various public DNS servers on the router (Google/Cloudfare/etc.). However this didn't fix it. I even ran my own DNS server on a NAS to see if that would fix it. That also didn't fix the issue. The only fix currently is to bypass the entire DNS look-up done by the RBS750 by directly configuring the DNS server settings on the client device (laptop/mobile phone etc.). Or else instead of using the RBS750 in router mode, set it to AP mode. Which also bypasses the DNS server.

So the problem is actually directly related to the DNS server used by RBS750. 

This could be a potential fix:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-frequently-issuing-DNS-REFUSED-responses/m-p/1979751...

I yet have to try this. However it seems to be the most logical solution. Any solution / advice that is aimed at bypassing the DNS server on the router is not a fix nor a solution to the actual problem.

Message 149 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Please try the suggestion to see if it helps you out.

@energie wrote:

I am experiencing DNS issues with the RBK752 on all firmwares used since purchase. Currently running the latest: V3.2.17.12_1.4.14. 

On occassion the DNS request will fail and a DNS timeout error will be displayed. Causing the browser to not load the webpage. Depending on the browser, for example Chrome, the browser will do a retry.Typically then the DNS look-up will succeed and the webpage will load. However, a browser like Firefox does not attempt a second try. So you're stuck with an error page.

At first I thought it might be because of the DNS servers of my ISP. Changed the DNS settings to various public DNS servers on the router (Google/Cloudfare/etc.). However this didn't fix it. I even ran my own DNS server on a NAS to see if that would fix it. That also didn't fix the issue. The only fix currently is to bypass the entire DNS look-up done by the RBS750 by directly configuring the DNS server settings on the client device (laptop/mobile phone etc.). Or else instead of using the RBS750 in router mode, set it to AP mode. Which also bypasses the DNS server.

So the problem is actually directly related to the DNS server used by RBS750. 

This could be a potential fix:

I yet have to try this. However it seems to be the most logical solution. Any solution / advice that is aimed at bypassing the DNS server on the router is not a fix nor a solution to the actual problem.

Message 150 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7