Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

My CenturyLink ONT is the Adtran 424 https://adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/product/1287835F1/4488

As for IPv6, CenturyLink currently only supports 6r (6 rapid deployment) tunneling.  I see that you suggest configuring a 6to4 setup.

I'll try that and let you know.   However, it's not currently a requirement when I set my devices to use my external DNS providers instead of using the Orbi.    However, I suspect the protections from Bitdefender are likely circumvented with this approach, other than the anti-virus installed on the workstations.

It's a workable workaround, but looking forward to NetGear resolving the issue in firmware.    That way I can go back to the DHCP settings and also possibly receive whatever protections are provided.    As for the others that don't find this as an acceptable solution, I understand and support your decision to return the product if still in your window to do so.

I'd also looked at the Amplifi Alien WiFi 6 setup.   I didn't go for that originally due to 1 router/ 1 satellite arrangement at this time.   But for those that don't need three devices (nor want to pay for an extra router, I understand multiple Aplifi Alien kits can be used together), perhaps that's something to review and consider.    Apolgies to NetGear and this community for mentioning that competing device.

Message 151 of 579
energie
Luminary

The modem/router of my ISP that the RBS750 is connected to is unrelated to the problem. The modem/router from my ISP is Compal CH7465-LG (https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Compal_Broadband_Networks_CH7465LG-LC). The DNS server of the modem/router from my ISP is not in use.

I also don't have any option to enable Telnet on the RBS750. So I cannot apply the manual fix from that other thread.

Netgear should fix the DNS server on the RBS750 / firmware. 

Message 152 of 579
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

@energie Completely agree that NetGear needs to fix the DNS issue in firmware.

What I think is also important to remember is I don't think the development teams drop by the forums but use support tickets.   @FURRYe38 I belive this is why you keep reminding us to open a support ticket besides just posting in this community forum.

I have opened a support ticket.   Hopefully all the others that have posted about this issue has as well and hopefully Netgear is seeing it as a priority focus due to support count.   

Fortunately the work around I've implemented, while not resolving the original issue at all, provides me a workable "work around".   However, I don't want to use the work around long term as I suspect it prevents a feature of the NetGear Armor, for which I have a subscription, from providing the full benefits.    Currently I suspect it's only the anti-virus software since I'm hardcoding a seperate DNS server on the workstations rather than allowing the Router to process the DNS requests and potentially using Armor filtering.

@FURRYe38 I appreciate your efforts.  

@energie and the others, this likely is going to take some time.   If the work arounds are not an acceptable solution, I'd not hesitate to return your products so you don't miss that window.   Perhaps the refund process helps NetGear realize the issue is a focus item and helps with resource allocation to that issue.

Message 153 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this modem in full bridge mode or router mode? This modem has built in router and wifi already. Just making sure that the problem seen is not impacted by having a router in front of the RBR when it's in router mode as well. If your modem isn't fully bridged or your not using the DMZ on the modem, then you in a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

@energie wrote:

The modem/router of my ISP that the RBS750 is connected to is unrelated to the problem. The modem/router from my ISP is Compal CH7465-LG (https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Compal_Broadband_Networks_CH7465LG-LC). The DNS server of the modem/router from my ISP is not in use.

I also don't have any option to enable Telnet on the RBS750. So I cannot apply the manual fix from that other thread.

Message 154 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, as forum users, after all the troubleshooting and suggestions and work around have been exhausted, theres nothing more we can do here in the forums. We believe only limited NG moderators visit the forums and probably screen thru posts and pass on information where it needs to go. Otherwise your guess is as good as ours. So it's always best to file a support tickets and keep in contact with NG support. More people that do that, hopefully should get something going. 

@SeaRefractor wrote:

@energie Completely agree that NetGear needs to fix the DNS issue in firmware.

What I think is also important to remember is I don't think the development teams drop by the forums but use support tickets.   @FURRYe38 I belive this is why you keep reminding us to open a support ticket besides just posting in this community forum.

I have opened a support ticket.   Hopefully all the others that have posted about this issue has as well and hopefully Netgear is seeing it as a priority focus due to support count.   

Fortunately the work around I've implemented, while not resolving the original issue at all, provides me a workable "work around".   However, I don't want to use the work around long term as I suspect it prevents a feature of the NetGear Armor, for which I have a subscription, from providing the full benefits.    Currently I suspect it's only the anti-virus software since I'm hardcoding a seperate DNS server on the workstations rather than allowing the Router to process the DNS requests and potentially using Armor filtering.

@FURRYe38 I appreciate your efforts.  

@energie and the others, this likely is going to take some time.   If the work arounds are not an acceptable solution, I'd not hesitate to return your products so you don't miss that window.   Perhaps the refund process helps NetGear realize the issue is a focus item and helps with resource allocation to that issue.

Message 155 of 579
energie
Luminary

I can't edit my original post. However, yes the modem/router from my ISP is running in bridge mode. So there is no double NAT involved or anything else in between that could cause an issue with the DNS server.

Using the latest firmware I am also unable to enable Telnet or Telnet in to the RBS750. So I cannot manually apply the fix.

The solution remains: Netgear should fix the issue with the DNS server.

Message 156 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just making sure about your modem.

Yes latest FW doesn't support telnet operations unfortuneately. 

So you'll need to open a support ticket and also advise them of what your seeing. 

@Blanca_O 

As last option, you can put the modem into router mode, disable it's wifi radios then set the RBR up for AP mode until NG fixes this problem: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@energie wrote:

I can't edit my original post. However, yes the modem/router from my ISP is running in bridge mode. So there is no double NAT involved or anything else in between that could cause an issue with the DNS server.

Using the latest firmware I am also unable to enable Telnet or Telnet in to the RBS750. So I cannot manually apply the fix.

The solution remains: Netgear should fix the issue with the DNS server.

Message 157 of 579
energie
Luminary

I am past the 90 day support window. So I am not sure if I am able to create a support ticket. Which in this case is very bad, as this is a bug that involves everyone using this firmware / router. 

Putting the router in AP mode is not a fix to the problem, but a workaround which is bypassing the faulty DNS server used by Netgear/Orbi. This I also mentioned in my original post. A similar workaround would be is to set the DNS server configuration on all clients (laptop/mobile/etc.). However, yet again, this does not fix the actual problem. The same applies to all other workaround that you can think of which bypasses the DNS server. The focus should be on fixing the problem, not on workarounds.

Netgear should fix the DNS server in the firmware.

Message 158 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Also, THANK YOU for posting the link to the wiki devi site. I saw that it closed a while back and was saddened to see that. I had not checked into if it would be maintained else where. I was sad to see it close as it has TONS of info and used it alot to find info on HW. So when you posted that link to your modem and opened it and saw WOW, it's back. Smiley Very Happy

I see they just swapped the URL around:
https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

The old site was wikidevi.com which no longer works. 

AGAIN, THANK YOU. Heart

@energie wrote:

Message 159 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

I've been back and forth with NG support for 22 days now.  Have given them everything they've asked for.  I have reproduced the errors multiple times while they were connected to my PC remotely so they could see it happening and also proved that enabling IPv6  with the auto-config option does not have the DNS issues for clients that are IPv6 only.  But, IPv4 still has the problems - constantly.

This is a firmware issue that can only be fixed by Netgear, but they're taking their sweet time about doing anything. 

This is the second Orbi RBK850 (853, 3 piece $1000) system I bought, hoping the new one wouldn't have the issues.  

Message 160 of 579
energie
Luminary

That sounds frustrating. However, this is clearly not a hardware issue. So replacing your Orbi router won't solve the issue. I have seen many other messages from users going through the same proces. This is pretty much wasting time. While in fact the issue is pretty straightforward. The DNS server / firmware is not working properly. The cause of this is most likely that the supportdesk of Netgear is just lacking and not geared towards such issues. They probably can help you to turn on/off the router or help you to setup the router. But in terms of actual problems with the device itself. Their only solution they can provide is to swap the device. This whole case clearly shows this, as after many months the actual problem is still not fixed.

However users that still have Telnet access to their router can manually apply a bug fix. This is a technical fix and you can't expect consumers with consumer grade hardware to do this.

What furthermore adds to the frustration is the fact that a wifi router of 20-40 euro's has a better DNS server than a wifi system of 500-1000 euro's. Hence one of the workarounds: place the Orbi router in AP mode and use the modem/router of the ISP, as you then bypass the DNS server of the Orbi router.

Netgear should fix the DNS server / firmware.

Message 161 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

I made contact with NG and aware of this thread. Again. NG is aware of it and is under review. Theres nothing more can be done form the forums at this time.

Message 162 of 579
energie
Luminary

I like that you reached out to Netgear support as a user. However Netgear should at least be able to respond to its users by reaching out to us and giving a reply in this thread. I think we can safely assume that Netgear support and development are not in sync. The amount of threads that have a link to this issue is huge and they even date back months. And yet there is no progress being made on actually fixing the issue.

Message 163 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

You've got that right.  I'm at 24 days of back and forth with their support.  Logs, remote connections to my machine, proving I can recreate the issue on demand.  And to make matters worse, a fix that previously worked via telnet is no longer available because they blocked that feature with their firmware updates.

The only positive is they told me they had enough information from me to go recreate the issue in their lab and work on a firmware update.  Whether that will happen is unknown.

Right now I'm debating on returning my Orbi system by Friday return deadline, or adding a $50 router to handle routing,DHCP functions and set up Orbis as AP-only mode to get by until they release a fix.  It's stupid but I love the speed of the Orbi AX system when it's working correctly.   Another user on these forums did this and it got me thinking that I might do the same.

Message 164 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Users can and will need to keep in contact with NG support. You have that option using support tickets or PM a forum moderator. 

If you don't feel like keeping your Orbi system, then you can always retuirn it, for those who have that option, and wait until NG fixes this. We don't get any informaton on when NG fixes or posts new FW so users will need to keep an eye on the NG download site and or in here in the forums. 

Nothing else we can do here in the forums about this issue. 

Good Luck. 

Message 165 of 579
rr20552
Apprentice

When do we think we get a fix for this DNS issue.

Due to the lack of parental controls (don’t even get me started) I am forced to use a family friendly DNS provider (1.1.1.1 for families) but are plagued by this intermittent DNS issue.

I’ve tried talking to support but their advice was to try and downgrade - even though I was having the same intermittent issue on the previous firmware.

Message 166 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't give any information on when new FW updates are forth coming. 

One could downgrade and try to apply the mentioned telnet change as a work around earlier in this thread I believe. 

@rr20552 wrote:
When do we think we get a fix for this DNS issue.

Due to the lack of parental controls (don’t even get me started) I am forced to use a family friendly DNS provider (1.1.1.1 for families) but are plagued by this intermittent DNS issue.

I’ve tried talking to support but their advice was to try and downgrade - even though I was having the same intermittent issue on the previous firmware.

Message 167 of 579
energie
Luminary

Downgrading your firmware won't solve the DNS issue. The issue has been reported almost a year ago. 

The only solution is for Netgear to fix the DNS server / firmware.

Message 168 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

One can certainaly try the downgrade and the telnet modification that was mentioned. 

Message 169 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Running an internet connected router with old firmware is exposing yourself to security risks and as soon as you upgrade firmware back to a new version, it undoes that fix so you’d get the DNS errors again.
Message 170 of 579
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is not correct, I still have my telnet enabled and running the fix I mentioned earlier. 

I dont know when they removed the possibilty to enable telnet, but for sure know that they dont clear the telnetd_enable from nvram on update

Output from cli today:

root@RBR850:/# version

Release version : Orbi 11AX Router RBR850 

U12H404T00/V3.2.17.12/1.4.14

Time : Dec 28 2020 22:06:59

CFE version : V1.0.12

root@RBR850:/# nvram show |grep telnet

telnetd_enable=1

root@RBR850:/# 

Message 171 of 579
TyneBridges
Tutor

Me too! My modem is only a few days old and I regularly see DNS errors. I've logged a support ticket and hope that anyone else with the problem will too, so that Netgear see that they have to fix their firmware.

Message 172 of 579
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@DNS_PROBE_FAIL wrote:

You've got that right.  I'm at 24 days of back and forth with their support.  Logs, remote connections to my machine, proving I can recreate the issue on demand.  And to make matters worse, a fix that previously worked via telnet is no longer available because they blocked that feature with their firmware updates.

Sadly it's this kind of nonsense that means I haven't raised the issue with Netgear support. It seems clear that they're not taking this issue seriously and haven't for many months.

I bought the Orbi system because we now have three people working full-time from home in this house due to Covid and I needed to improve the wi-fi coverage. Like others I initially found it unusable due to the DNS errors but using the workaround of running the Orbi in AP mode I have found it meets my needs. (The wi-fi coverage is, admittedly, excellent). I definitely don't have the luxury of spending weeks going backwards and forwards to Netgear support recreating their own issue for them when I need a product that works, and works now. Netgear shouldn't need our input to troubleshoot this problem anyway, it's immediately obvious as soon as you start using the device.

I'm lucky because I do have an ISP modem/router and therefore do have the luxury of running the Orbi in AP mode. I accept that many in this forum are not so lucky, and I don't consider having to use a workaround to use a £900 product in any way acceptable - but it meets my needs. Good luck to all of those pursuing this, I wish you every success.

Message 173 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

@Retired_Member Hopefully telnet is not accessible externally, it's an insecure protocol and not advisable to keep enabled long term in any network environment.

I thought you said telnet was disabled upon firmware upgrade, but I guess you said the DNS settings changes were reset, not telnet enable. 

I did send a link to your post and findings to NG support, hopefully they read it in between their nap times and whatever else they do.  Thank you

Message 174 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume that you updated your system over the top of what you had and have not done a factory reset since. I tried this after v12 was applied to mine however mine was reset. I could not enable telnet on v12 using the enabler from a command line.

@Retired_Member wrote:

This is not correct, I still have my telnet enabled and running the fix I mentioned earlier. 

I dont know when they removed the possibilty to enable telnet, but for sure know that they dont clear the telnetd_enable from nvram on update

Output from cli today:

root@RBR850:/# version

Release version : Orbi 11AX Router RBR850 

U12H404T00/V3.2.17.12/1.4.14

Time : Dec 28 2020 22:06:59

CFE version : V1.0.12

root@RBR850:/# nvram show |grep telnet

telnetd_enable=1

root@RBR850:/# 

Message 175 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements