Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internal LAN DHCP servers configuration

gumpgump
Guide

Internal LAN DHCP servers configuration

I would like to configure separate internal DNS servers for the internal LAN; that is, I want my internal clients to use a proxy I've set up.  I would prefer to serve these addresses through the firmware DHCP server, but it doesn't appear I can configure these.   Or I've missed something here.   The only place I see to configure this is on the WAN, which is not what I need to do.

Anyone know?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internal LAN DHCP servers configuration

What model Orbi are you referring too? 

Message 2 of 4
gumpgump
Guide

RBR850

Firmware Version
V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@gumpgump wrote:

I would like to configure separate internal DNS servers for the internal LAN; that is, I want my internal clients to use a proxy I've set up.  I would prefer to serve these addresses through the firmware DHCP server, but it doesn't appear I can configure these.   Or I've missed something here.   The only place I see to configure this is on the WAN, which is not what I need to do.

This is a fairly common topic, and the answer is, the Orbi will not do that.  There are three solutions that will work:

1. Configure the Orbi DNS to use the internal proxy.  All DNS requests will go to the Orbi, which will then forward those it does have cached to the internal DNS server.  I have two Raspberry Pi's running Pi-hole and the Orbi is set to use them instead of external DNS servers. They are set to use a variety of DNS resources, including Google, Cloudflare, F3, etc.
  2. Use an internal DHCP server to furnish the IP configuration to internal clients.  DHCP provides IP address, subnet mask, gateway IP, and DNS IP's.  Perhaps the proxy server that is already set up will also act as a DHCP server.  I spent so much time configuring the Orbi that I have no intention of "starting over" with a different DHCP server.
  3. Manually configure the client devices to use the proxy DNS server.

Please note that this will nol force devices to use the local DNS proxy.  If someone sets the client to use a specific DNS server, that client will bypass the Orbi and proxy entirely.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7