Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Just installed Orbi AX: problems with wired and wireless speeds

switters
Apprentice

Just installed Orbi AX: problems with wired and wireless speeds

I just bought an Orbi 6 (RBK852). I put my Xfinity XB6 router in Bridge Mode and deactivated the xFi Pods I had. I went through the setup process for the Orbit 6 and it seemed to work fine. 

However, I'm having three issues.

1) When I click on "Device Manager" in the app, I get an error message: "Sorry, the action was failed. Please try again." I tried restarting the app and also power cycling the Orbi system. Same problem. 

2) Our house is wired for ethernet with Cat-5e and we have gigabit service through Xfinity. Before installing the Orbi, I was getting ~930 Mbps download speeds via ethernet. (My desktop computer in my home office was connected to the ethernet wall outlet, and then I had an ethernet cable doing from the home termination hub directly to the Xfinity router.) However, after setting up Orbi and plugging the ethernet cable corresponding to my home office into one of the Orbi LAN ports, I am only getting about 80-100 Mbps, sometimes 200-300. But never even close to 900.  

3) I'm getting about 200-350 Mbps download speeds using WiFi with Orbi, even very close to the router, with iPhone, Macbook Pro, iPad. I thought it would be higher with a gigabit connection?

I am running the latest firmware (I just installed Orbi yesterday and it asked me to update). 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 4
Bandito
Luminary

Re: Just installed Orbi AX: problems with wired and wireless speeds

Not a great out-of-the-box experience, eh?  Sorry to hear that.

For no. 1, below, I originally misinterpreted your problem.  You are saying that the Orbi app won't display connected devices.  Have you gone into the Orbi web interface to see if you can view connect devices there?  If you can see them there, then I would assume that there's an app problem and would delete and reinstall the app.  Otherwise, continue as below.

For problem no. 1, have you tried a factory reset of the router?  That could clear up a problem like what you are seeing.  If that doesn't do it, I'd download whatever firmware is available from Netgear and reinstall it to see if that corrects the issue.  If none of these items fixes the problem, then I would assume that you have defective hardware.

For no. 2, is the home office connected to the Orbi router or to the satellite?  If it's connected to the satellite, you could try to find a better location for the satellite to try to get a faster connection.  If the home office is connected directly to the router, I'm not sure what, if any, options there are.  You could try a different port on the Orbi just to be sure, but they should all work the same.  Just so you're aware, a few others have also reported slow hard wired connections, so it would probably be a good idea to contact Netgear about this issue.

For no. 3, your WiFi connection speeds do seem slow, especially if you are very near the router. Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for this other than to contact Netgear.

Message 2 of 4
switters
Apprentice

Thanks for your help.

Given that a few others are experiencing similar issues, I'm wondering if the AX just isn't ready for prime time.

I'm considering returning it and getting an RBK50. 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 4
Chuck_M
Mentor

it would be good to list the devices you have on your hardwired network... they may be making an issue.

Have you tried to reinstall the app?  it may be as simple as that.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7