Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest Orbi wifi 6 RBK852 difficulty connecting 2.4 Ghz devices

chichuen
Aspirant

Latest Orbi wifi 6 RBK852 difficulty connecting 2.4 Ghz devices

Bought the latest wifi 6 Orbi router with satellite - was not able to get 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands - talked to the Netgear tech and understood the router auto selects - when i asked how to connect devices which work only on 2.4, I was told that i should keep the device and the router at least 50 ft away to set such devices and bring back.  Also there need to be suffficent distance between router and satellite - atleast 50 ft otherwise, the connection can be intermittant.  Bought with high expectation but returned last week.  Now exploring AX12

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The biggest issue is that some 2.4Ghz devices setup software won't allow the setup device to be on a 5Ghz radio while the actual 2.4Ghz device gets or attemps to connect to the 2.4Ghz radio. This setup software is being limited by the Mfr. 

In hopes that NG will implement a disabling of the 5Ghz radio so users can get there 2.4Ghz devices connected, will help eliviate this problem. It was implemented on Orbi AC and we hope NG will bring this feature to Orbi AX. 

If you use 2.4Ghz devices and have had them connected to a 2.4Ghz SSID name and PW before, use this same SSID name and PW on the Orbi AX and they should connect. I've been using the same SSID name and PW for years and have had no issues with 2.4Ghz device connections. 

30feet is recommended starting distance between the RBR and RBS. I have one at 35 feet. 

Good luck in your endeavours. 

Message 2 of 6
chichuen
Aspirant

Thanks for ur response...when u say same 2.4 ghz name and pw, you mean old router to be active? When I connected the Orbi, I disabled the old router wifi...

Message 3 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

Disabling the wifi is not enough... you have to actually bridge the old router (or take it out of the architecture).

Is this what you meant to say that the old router is still upstream of the Orbi AX?  

Message 4 of 6
chichuen
Aspirant

sorry.   i was using Google supplied modem **bleep** router using its 2.4 Ghz to connect the such devices.  With Orbi Mesh RBK 852, i disabled Google modem **bleep** router wifi.  when i tried to connect Ringpro camera doorbell, it started hanging.  

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Does it hang if you disable AX mode on the RBR? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7