Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mixed Backhaul on Orbi 750?

mrp12
Aspirant

Mixed Backhaul on Orbi 750?

I'm having trouble getting a mixed backhaul (wired and wireless) setup working with the Orbi 750.  I have been able to do this with an Orbi RBK50 system, and I understand that it should be possible with the 750.  However, when I plug the ethernet cord into the LAN ports (as the diagrams show and as I've done with the RBK50), the 750 seems to stop looking for wireless satellites (although it then sees the wired ones), and it can't find wireless satellites to which it was formerly connected.  Is there something I'm missing in the setup to get it to look for satellites on both ethernet and wireless?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Mixed Backhaul on Orbi 750?

Mixed works on Orbi AX. It's best to sync the RBS first, then ethernet connect the RBS after wards. 

Is the RBS being directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between them ?

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Also: 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 3 of 11
mrp12
Aspirant

The present setup is an orbi router with 3 wireless satellites, and the network connected to the WAN port of the router.  These 3 satellites need to remain on the wireless backhaul.  From my understanding, to enable a wired backhaul for the additional satellite, I need to move the ethernet connection to the router from the WAN to one of the LAN ports (does it matter which one?).  Once I do that, the connections to the wireless satellites are lost.  Sync-ing, rebooting, and moving the satellites right next to the router in various combinations does not seem to help them connect.  It's as if the router just stops looking for them on the wireless backhaul.  The router still allows an internet connectin through the LAN port.  

In previous attempts, I have gotten the wired connection to work in this setup (without the wireless ones working).  But for today, I'm just trying to do one step at a time so I'm focusing on getting the wireless connections to work.  

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your RBR in router or AP mode? 

Just connect any of the RBS to the back of the RBRs LAN ports.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

The WAN is only used for the RBR to connect to the ISP modem in router mode or a host router when in AP mode. 

Message 5 of 11
mrp12
Aspirant

The router is in AP mode.  

My understanding is that I need to connect to the host router using one of the LAN ports when using the ethernet backhaul.  That is what I needed to do with the RBK50, and is what is in the diagram (#3) on the page you linked.  However, when I do that, the previously configured and connected wireless satellites get lost.  

Do you think the RBR needs to be in router mode to use a mixed backhaul?  That isn't the case with the RBK50.  

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

No, The RBR in AP mode needs to connect to the HOST router using the RBRs WAN port. The other LAN ports can be for ethernet connected RBS, LAN switches and other wired devices. 

Message 7 of 11
mrp12
Aspirant

Maybe that's it.  I'm in a situation where I only have one ethernet cable coming to the Orbi router, so I need that cable to do "double duty" in that it goes to the host router and the satellites.  The RBK50 let's me do that but continually glows magenta because there's nothing in the WAN port.  Maybe the 750 isn't as forgiving.  

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

THe WAN Port is already handling traffic back and forth from the host router. The LAN ports on the RBR750 can be and should be used for ALL other wired connections if your going ethernet connect any RBS to the RBR. 

Message 9 of 11
mrp12
Aspirant

Sure.  I think I'm going to assume that the 750 doesn't let you connect just one wire to the LAN port to connect to the host router and the satellites, like the 50 does.  For now, I belive I've got a workaround.  Thanks for your help in talking through this!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The only Orbi AX and AC systems work in the same way. WAN port connects to the RBR in AP mode to the host router, ALL other LAN ports are for wired devices. As seen here:

ps://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

I have both systems and have configured both for AP mode using the above configurations many times.

Good luck. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7