Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My brand new RBR750 Router and Satellite keeps auto shutting down

sakusa
Tutor

My brand new RBR750 Router and Satellite keeps auto shutting down

Model: NETGEAR AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 High-Performance Whole Home Mesh(RBR750)

Firmware: V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Orbi app installed on IOS 14.5 (iPhone/iPad) in a duplex apartment

This brand new router and satellite combo were installed this week in the upper floor of the duplex apartment. However, every couple of days, it is shutting down by itself at night for no apparent reason. During this period there has been no fluctutation in either the CESC power supply or the BSNL Fibre broadband network to which it is connected.

(In fact my second wifi network on the lower floor, using a Linksys EA7500 router on the same BSNL Fibre broadband network, has been working fine throughout this week)

Each time the Orbi app is unable to effect a reboot, nor does it detect either the router or the satellite. Only a manual reboot of the router by switching off the power supply is able to restore the network after a few tries.

Message 1 of 14
tak1313
Luminary

So it sounds like it's not "shutting down," ie. turning off, but rather not working in some way, but still "powered up?"

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Does the RBR turn off if you don't have the RBS online? 

Try swapping power adapters between the RBR and RBS. 

Message 3 of 14
sakusa
Tutor

@tak1313 i have no way of knowing whether it is "powered up" because none of the lights on either router or satellite are on

Message 4 of 14
sakusa
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

- at least 5 other networks are nearby, including my own Linksys one downstairs

- total carpet area 3000 sq ft

- distance between router and satellite over 30 ft with only one large wooden cabinet in the way

- during setup the Orbi app refused to allow the router to be set up standalone. Had to pair the satellite to get past the setup routine. So i haven't tried disconnecting the satellite

- the shutdown affects both router and satellite simultaneously. Orbi app fails to detect the network, not even via local network

- shall try swapping adapters tonight

Thanks😀

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

if swapping the Power adapters around doesn't work and you've tried different outlets, i'd get the system boxed up and return it for another system. 

Seems like if there turning off at the same time, possibe power problem with in your home too. Odd behavior for sure. 

Message 6 of 14
sakusa
Tutor

@FURRYe38 @tak1313 I just did another review, starting with the satellite.

Both router and satellite have been working fine all day since I rebooted the router this morning.

- The satellite was 'dead' again - the power light is on, but Orbi app can't detect the network from right next to the satellite.

- The router is also 'dead' , with the power light on. However, Orbi app is able to detect the network via 'local network' after a few tries. 

Neither unit was showing any of the network strength colors e.g. blue/ magenta

My guess is the system is somehow going into 'sleep' mode when there is no activity.

Is ther any way to prevent that in the Orbi app settings?

Message 7 of 14
sakusa
Tutor

"Seems like if there turning off at the same time, possibe power problem with in your home too. Odd behavior for sure. "

@FURRYe38  the router is on the same socket board as the modem, which is obviously working fine as evidenced by the Linksys router's behaviour with no power issues

The Satellite is on the Home theatre socket board, which is also working fine with no power issues.

Message 8 of 14
tak1313
Luminary

There is a tiny LED next to the power input that should indicate if it's powered up.  See the diagram in the user manual  (#5).

@sakusa wrote:

@tak1313 i have no way of knowing whether it is "powered up" because none of the lights on either router or satellite are on

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Swap power adapters and see. Again, if there not remaining ON all the time, box it up and get another set. 

@sakusa wrote:

router is on the same socket board as the modem, which is obviously working fine as evidenced by the Linksys router's behaviour with no power issues

The Satellite is on the Home theatre socket board, which is also working fine with no power issues.

Message 10 of 14
sakusa
Tutor

@tak1313 @FURRYe38 Turns out the firmware update done via the Orbi app during installation screwed up the system, according to Netgear phone support. 

Had to reinstall using a laptop - working fine for the past few days now. What a complete waste of time and effort!!

Just one more painful lesson learned about the very poorly designed installation routine on the Orbi app.😖

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, Orbi app doesn't handle FW updates correctly. Glad you were able to get it manually setup and FW updated using a laptop. It's the recommended menthod to update FW. Avoid using Orbi app. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 14
sakusa
Tutor

Thanks to all for your help! 🙂

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have a faulty system that needs to be replaced. I'd contact NG support and ask them for help and information regarding what your seeing. Ask for an RMA. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7