Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nest Protect with Orbi RBR850

oliverfelix
Aspirant

Nest Protect with Orbi RBR850

Recently upgraded to the new Wifi 6 Orbi System (RBR850) after being very happy with the original. Ever since upgrading, my Nest Protects have had connection issues. First it was just one that was not connecting. I did a factory reset on it and it said that it connected succesfully but then still didn't show up as connected in the Nest app. Now I have noticed that even the one that is technically connected isn't showing up on the attached devices list in the Orbi app (even though it shows as connected on the Nest app).

Anyone else experiencing this? Never had an issue with the last Orbi System. Did some digging and saw an issue with IPV6 on the Google Nest website. I turned that on in the Advanced settings (was not ON by default) but it has not made a difference.

Dissapointed the system is so broken out of the box.

Message 1 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Nest Protect with Orbi RBR850

Next Protect working fine here.

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

No issues with my NEST controllers here. 

Does disabling AX mode change anything? 

Try channel 1 on 2.4Ghz

@oliverfelix wrote:

Recently upgraded to the new Wifi 6 Orbi System (RBR850) after being very happy with the original. Ever since upgrading, my Nest Protects have had connection issues. First it was just one that was not connecting. I did a factory reset on it and it said that it connected succesfully but then still didn't show up as connected in the Nest app. Now I have noticed that even the one that is technically connected isn't showing up on the attached devices list in the Orbi app (even though it shows as connected on the Nest app).

Anyone else experiencing this? Never had an issue with the last Orbi System. Did some digging and saw an issue with IPV6 on the Google Nest website. I turned that on in the Advanced settings (was not ON by default) but it has not made a difference.

Dissapointed the system is so broken out of the box.

Message 3 of 19
AGmisc
Aspirant

I have the RBK842 WiFi 6 Orbi mesh system. I initially connected my Nest Protects, thermostats, cameras without issue. Since then, they randomly disconnect and require me to reconnect them. A simple reboot of the router does not fix the issue. As safety is a priority, I will likely have to return the Netgear Routers.
Message 4 of 19
oliverfelix
Aspirant

Just noticed the system was recently updated and that has improved things somewhat. I'm seeing the Protects consistently 'connected' in the Nest app now but they still show the yellow light when they do their nightly check which indicates they are not actually connected. Also, one of the one's that is wired is not showing as fine in the Nest app but not as connected in the list of devices on the Orbi app. Progress but still not 100.

Message 5 of 19
iNexxFear
Apprentice

Were there any final take aways on this?  I just setup an Orbi AX configuration running firmware version 3.2.15.25 and while all seemed good yesterday, today my Nest thermostat batteries have drained overnight and i'm also having some issues with my laptop in the web console needing to re-loging.

the battery drain is a known issue according to nest with wifi issues.  I'm wondering if the devices are hoping to differet AP's causing the drain not knowingn which to connect to.  If continued issues I may need to revert back to my prior single AP mode setup that had its own issues and problems.

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is AX mode enabled?

What are your CTS/RTC values seen under under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

64 is default for v15.25...

Please set these up to 2347...

@iNexxFear wrote:

Were there any final take aways on this?  I just setup an Orbi AX configuration running firmware version 3.2.15.25 and while all seemed good yesterday, today my Nest thermostat batteries have drained overnight and i'm also having some issues with my laptop in the web console needing to re-loging.

the battery drain is a known issue according to nest with wifi issues.  I'm wondering if the devices are hoping to differet AP's causing the drain not knowingn which to connect to.  If continued issues I may need to revert back to my prior single AP mode setup that had its own issues and problems.

Message 7 of 19
Mikey94025
Hero

I would follow FURRYe38's recommendation to check and set your CTS/RTS values to 2347.  The firmware defaults cause various wireless compatibility issues.

I have 2 Nest thermostats and 3 Nest Protects and they have been working fine with my Orbi AX system.  Did your Nest devices successfully connect to wifi after you upgraded your router?  It's important to verify the connectivity of your devices and reset/reconnect them if they are not connected.  Not all devices will simply reconnect just because you kept the same SSID and password.  If they could not connect to your new wireless SSID and kept retrying then that would explain why the surprise battery drain.

Message 8 of 19
iNexxFear
Apprentice

I was using an ASUS AX11000 prior to this, AX enabled on that device and no issues. And I’m no expert but if those setting are going to cause wireless issues they should be changed from the default for something that ranges from $600-$1000 with the 2 satellites like I bought. After seeing this configuration fully drain 2 smart thermostats within a matter of hours I have determined it’s not worth the cost, aggravation or setup especially when NG support isn’t able to fully help and ask about MU-MIMO in sections that do not exist for this device and in my opinion those default values should be good out of the box! I wouldn’t have known what settings. This is poor and I’m sincerely disappointed especially with the latest firmware and changes that have made it to market. But no more NETGEAR for me. I’ll stay with other vendors moving forward
Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

2347 was the default value historically, however for unknown reasons NG change the CTS values to 64 which seems to cause problems in last few versions of FW. I also noticed this with my two NEST controllers. After chaning them back to 2347, my controllers are working again. Something you should try. 

@iNexxFear wrote:
I was using an ASUS AX11000 prior to this, AX enabled on that device and no issues. And I’m no expert but if those setting are going to cause wireless issues they should be changed from the default for something that ranges from $600-$1000 with the 2 satellites like I bought. After seeing this configuration fully drain 2 smart thermostats within a matter of hours I have determined it’s not worth the cost, aggravation or setup especially when NG support isn’t able to fully help and ask about MU-MIMO in sections that do not exist for this device and in my opinion those default values should be good out of the box! I wouldn’t have known what settings. This is poor and I’m sincerely disappointed especially with the latest firmware and changes that have made it to market. But no more NETGEAR for me. I’ll stay with other vendors moving forward

Message 10 of 19
JerBear81
Tutor

Hello,

I also recentely got an RBR850 and matching sattelite and am having problems with my Nest thermostat battery draining.  I had some troubles with my Nest Protects at first and, to be honest, can't remember how I resolved it...I think I had to factory reset and start from scratch.  I couldn't just update the settings.  However, Nest is telling me the problem with my battery is the WiFi signal and not the battery.  From what I'm reading here, that may be accurate.  They gave me a link that has settings to change.  One is to enable 802.11 b/g/n which is enabled on my router.  I have also checked off the box to enable AX functions and I have a lot of IoT devices and so AX was one of the main reasons for upgrading to this system.  Next it tells me to increase the DHCP lease time to at least two hours.  I cannot find anywhere to change this setting and from reading other posts there seems to be some disagreement whether this is default to 1 hour or 1 day.  I did assign it an "address reservation" in the Advanced Tab -> Setup -> LAN Setup menu.  I hope this helps.  I decided to change the CTS/RTS threshold to 2347 based on the suggestions contained in here.  Otherwise, most of Nest's troubleshooting suggestions on the provided link do me no good.  They also want me to use my phone as a hot spot for the thermostat to "isolate the issue".  If you all have any suggestions, I highly appreciate them.  This is my first time posting.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded? if v15.25, then there seems to be a problem with this version of FW and Nest products. My Nest controllers fail to keep connected if AX mode is enabled. So Ive disabled AX mode. Prior version v11.2 released FW worked well with NEST. 

If changing CTS and AX modes doesn't seem to resolve this you may need to revert back FW versions. 

@JerBear81 wrote:

Hello,

I also recentely got an RBR850 and matching sattelite and am having problems with my Nest thermostat battery draining.  I had some troubles with my Nest Protects at first and, to be honest, can't remember how I resolved it...I think I had to factory reset and start from scratch.  I couldn't just update the settings.  However, Nest is telling me the problem with my battery is the WiFi signal and not the battery.  From what I'm reading here, that may be accurate.  They gave me a link that has settings to change.  One is to enable 802.11 b/g/n which is enabled on my router.  I have also checked off the box to enable AX functions and I have a lot of IoT devices and so AX was one of the main reasons for upgrading to this system.  Next it tells me to increase the DHCP lease time to at least two hours.  I cannot find anywhere to change this setting and from reading other posts there seems to be some disagreement whether this is default to 1 hour or 1 day.  I did assign it an "address reservation" in the Advanced Tab -> Setup -> LAN Setup menu.  I hope this helps.  I decided to change the CTS/RTS threshold to 2347 based on the suggestions contained in here.  Otherwise, most of Nest's troubleshooting suggestions on the provided link do me no good.  They also want me to use my phone as a hot spot for the thermostat to "isolate the issue".  If you all have any suggestions, I highly appreciate them.  This is my first time posting.

Message 12 of 19
JerBear81
Tutor

FURRYe38,

Thank you for such a swift response. I do have the most current 15.25 FW loaded on both the router and satellite. I’ll go a step at a time. I really don’t want to disable AX options. So I’ll see if I lose battery thru the rest of today/tomorrow after changing CTS settings. If I do, then I’ll disable AX. Lastly, I’ll try downgrading the FW. Still open to any other suggestions you or anybody else have. Again, thanks for responding so quickly.
Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. I'm finding my NEST contollers are staying connected with AX mode disabled and CTS set for 2347. 

Message 14 of 19
JerBear81
Tutor

FURRYe38,

Well, the problem is still to be solved but have had some interesting (by interesting I mean incredibly frustrating) developments.  At first my A/C was running and I kept checking the app and the thermostat remained online.  This morning, the A/C had just kicked on and I checked the App and it said the thermostat had gone offline an hour ago when the A/C wasn't even running.  It seems odd, since when the A/C/Furnace isnt running, the thermostat should be receiving power.  At any rate, I decided to disable the AX mode.  It applied the settings and I was just going to let it go to see what the thermostat did.  Then I noticed my phone was no longer connected to WiFi.  My SSID was visible so I tried to join and it told me I had the incorrect password.  Even though nothing had changed, I typed my password back in and was again told it was not correct.  Then I noticed one of my Google Home Hubs was also not connected.  It seems sometimes when you change a setting, a hard reboot is needed to fully get everything going again so I tried that...and again the same problem.  So I decided to turn AX mode back on.  Again....I kept getting told I had the wrong password.  At this point I finally decided to log back into my router and look at the password, somehow, some characters got removed or replaced and the string 35; was present twice in my password when it should not have been.  I changed my password back to what it should be, applied the settings and everything connected again.  I disabled AX mode, applied the settings and my password was once again changed with the string 35; added in once this time.  So I put my correct password in, applied the settings and now everything is working. 

I'm completely mystified as to how changing this setting also randomly changes my password.  What a frustrating experience.  But now that it is sorted out, I'm going to take my thermostat off the base and charge it directly for about an hour then reattach to the base and see what happens. 

I also don't think consumers should have to jump through hoops to make these products work together.  I'm not sure if it's a Netgear problem, Nest problem or both...but I hope they release an update or patch to fix it soon. 

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Very interesting that chaning AX mode is chaning the SSID password. Something I have not seen. 

Has a factory reset been performed on the RBS and RBR since last update? 

What browser are you using? I use Opera to configure my system most of the time. 

Be sure to clear out any browser caches before entering the RBRs web page. 

Is the CTS values at default 64 or did you change them to 2347? 

@Christian_R 

Message 16 of 19
JerBear81
Tutor

I have not done a factory reset on them. I’ve been using IE these last two days on this PC. I changed CTS to 2347 yesterday after reading thru the original thread before I even made my first post.
Message 17 of 19
iNexxFear
Apprentice

After seeing all of this I’m kind of glad I made the return. I really did want to see and use the Orbi. It had a lot of benefits but for the high dollar value and Limited support offered unless you pay for extended and are able to navigate to a care representative it would not be worth the cost of the system.

In no way do I want to come across as gloating or condescending. I’m just saying that for the premium cost it shouldn’t be like this for anyone or impact smart home or other products. For the average user it should be a lot of plug and use. For someone even less technical than me who’s obviously less than you it’s frustrating and maddening!

It just seems like netgear needs to start setting up labs or offering select owners to be beta homes and test this stuff before it gets out there. Instead this just impacts PR and users views like it has mine.
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well possible something that I missed seeing since I first updated and didn't factory reset, however I didn't disable AX mode during that time frame up until I did factory reset due to finding that the speedtest app wasn't working in AP mode. This caused me to factory reset. So something you'll need to try at some point to see if this stops the password from being changed when you enable or disable AX mode. 

@JerBear81 wrote:
I have not done a factory reset on them. I’ve been using IE these last two days on this PC. I changed CTS to 2347 yesterday after reading thru the original thread before I even made my first post.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7