Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

Inimical
Initiate

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

I can't disable anything as people are actively using the network. The distance is about 10 ft. from each one.

I recently added the 2nd satellite, the same issue was happening with one satellite.
Message 76 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Everyone, 
I just got off a online chat support with NEST themselves. I had the idea that to help with some of this, it would be nice that there NEST app gave notification of any kind of wifi disconnection with the controller, so users would be allowed to investigate the problem with there contorllers during any kind of abmornal condition. Normally the controllers will re-connect, however for odd issues, this would be helpful to users so they can take a look and gether contollers back online. The main issue is that when the controllers disconnect, they fail to get re-connected, for what ever reason they don't, thisi drains the battery thus everyone sees this as the end result. If users had early notification, then users can take action and get the controller reconnected thus help prevent battery drain. 

I presented this idea to NEST chat support this morning and it seemed to be well recieved and they said they would definately review this idea for there app. No idea if or when it will happen. Hoping it will be at some point in the future. 

https://nest.com/support/contact-us/?from-chooser=true

They gave me some links for users to check out and if users are so inclined, can post about this and other things about there NEST products here:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/community?hl=en

I see this atricle as well though Orbi AX hasn't made this list: Smiley Frustrated

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9233444?hl=en&ref_topic=9361783

NG is aware of the problem with Orbi AX and NEST controllers and is working on it. 

I'm seeing same thing, if I don't notice the controller disconnected for a long period of time, the battery will drain and has to be re-charged. If I catch the controller much sooner and get it re-connected, it's ok. 

Hoping for a fix soon as well. Smiley Wink

Message 77 of 265
jasonmeltzer
Aspirant

This issue seems to still exist in Firmware Version V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.

Just got my Orbi this weekend to find 2 of my 4 nest thermostats with a depleted battery,

A real fix for this would be nice.

Message 78 of 265
orbi-adan
Star

I have been in comminication with tier 2 support. They have now escalated this issue to engineering. At the moment there is no solution. I will post back if I hear anything. 

Message 79 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What is the distance between the RBR/RBS and the NEST controllers, in feet. 

NG knows about this. 

@jasonmeltzer wrote:

This issue seems to still exist in Firmware Version V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.

Just got my Orbi this weekend to find 2 of my 4 nest thermostats with a depleted battery,

A real fix for this would be nice.

Message 80 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

Well I wouldn’t put any money on that and due to the limited assistance and warranty you’d be best to pack it up and return it. My posting for this was 3 months ago when this happens and NOW they are JUST looking to put it up to engineering?

Seriously. And it’s coming hearing season. This seems more than unacceptable and should have been addressed a long time back. OR it shouldn’t have existed to begin with seeing it never happens with the prior models.
Message 81 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

Why do we always ask this question about distance? Shouldn’t Netgear support be asking this when the issues are reported to them? And further more it’s crazy... it’s sold as mesh. The devices and routers should be handling this at a network level.
Message 82 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance is a factor in this. Been told NEST are pinging back and forth between RBR and RBS and between NEST and Orbi AX, the system isn't handling this pinging of the NEST correctly. This pinging is causing the NEST controller battery to drain. I have been working NG on this as well. I have reverted back to my CAX80 and EX7700s for stability in NEST has last day I saw several disconnects with my 3rd gen nest. NG is working on this and I have been feeding them my debug logs. I agree, this should be handled at the device and router wifi level. My 1st gen hasn't seen any issues. I presume wifi HW and drivers different between 1st gen everything after. 

I did ask NEST the other day to implement some kind of app notification on there side to let users know when there controllers become disconnected so users could go check out there controllers before the battery gets low. RIght now, there is nothing to let the users know if this happens unitl they see the app or controller and it's condition at the controller and sometimes users won't noticed for a long period of time. Would be helpful to get a notification so users can act sooner then later. Someting I get with my wifi cameras all the time. 

Message 83 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

I just purchased my Orbi system yesterday hooked everything up and boom two Nest E  thermostats with low battery the next day.  I had to setup an old AP to have the nest connect to that instead as a fix, I hope this gets fixed ASAP the  whole point of getting this system was to setup a mesh and avoid  having  routers and AP's everywhere.

Message 84 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

Suggestions would be to box up and return especially if you need heating this winter because this was supposedly escalated to higher ups with no reported solutions. I have seen nothing but heart burn and continued issues since I reported mine with the same issue over and over

Oh and if you want to continue to keep the product might as well answer the next question to come by others which will be distance because somehow this factors in but still it understanding since this is supposed to be a premium mesh process that breaks smart homes
Message 85 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

What a shame, the product has so much potential. I bet a quick fix would be to allow us to split the band and  make the 2.4 and 5ghz bands visible seperately. Most likely the nest is switching between bands under the one SSID it sees. 

Message 86 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

NG knows about this. 

@Cypress26 wrote:

What a shame, the product has so much potential. I bet a quick fix would be to allow us to split the band and  make the 2.4 and 5ghz bands visible seperately. Most likely the nest is switching between bands under the one SSID it sees. 

Message 87 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

NG knows about this. 

@Cypress26 wrote:

The NEST  is about two feet a way lol, this  is certainly not the issue.

Message 88 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

@Cypress26 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG knows about this. 

@Cypress26 wrote:

Also, as stated above this does not happen with my previous router or  AP.

Message 89 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Two feet away from the RBR or the RBS? 

@Cypress26 wrote:

Message 90 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

RBR

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Two feet away from the RBR or the RBS? 

@Cypress26 wrote:

Message 91 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

maybe a bit too close. Can you move the RBR away from the NEST? 

Try this, try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Just to see if this changes anything. The NEST is getting disconnected from the wifi signal and is not able to rec-connect for some reason. This causes the NEST to continue to connect to a signal, and causes the battery to drain. It would be nice if the NEST app gave users notification of when the controller becomes disconnected so we can fix the problem sooner then letting the battery drain in these cases. 

@Cypress26 wrote:

RBR

Message 92 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

Own a Ferrari but drive it like a corolla.
Message 93 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

Tried all this with no difference. Please listen to the many people with the same issue and different distances and work on getting a patch update to fix this. The troubleshooting steps repetitive and none working. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this, try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Just to see if this changes anything. The NEST is getting disconnected from the wifi signal and is not able to rec-connect for some reason. This causes the NEST to continue to connect to a signal, and causes the battery to drain. It would be nice if the NEST app gave users notification of when the controller becomes disconnected so we can fix the problem sooner then letting the battery drain in these cases. 

@Cypress26 wrote:

RBR

Message 94 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support and let them know about your experiences and what your seeing. 

Thank you. 

@Cypress26 wrote:

Tried all this with no difference. Please listen to the many people with the same issue and different distances and work on getting a patch update to fix this. The troubleshooting steps repetitive and none working. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Cypress26 wrote:

RBR

Message 95 of 265
cha_d
Tutor

Unfortunately I recently got the RBK852 without knowing the whole issue with the Nest thermostat.  I contacted Netgear support and the only suggestions I have gotten as follows is to:

• Change the CTS to 2347
  • Change the DNS to 8.8.8.8
  • Change the MTU setting
  • Re-flash the latest firmware manually

So far nothing helps.  I have disconnected my WiFi for now while I decide what to do next.  I am thinking of returning the mesh system.   

Message 96 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

That would be my suggestion and my biggest resolution to this problem!

This product should not be on the market, as the primary concern I raised when I purchased it continues to exist.

Netgear engineers do not care and the cost of this system price point should not have this issue exist for this long! It also should not matter the distance and this is just truly a slap to customers while ruining Netgear’s reputation.
Message 97 of 265
Cypress26
Aspirant

@iNexxFear wrote:
That would be my suggestion and my biggest resolution to this problem!

This product should not be on the market, as the primary concern I raised when I purchased it continues to exist.

Netgear engineers do not care and the cost of this system price point should not have this issue exist for this long! It also should not matter the distance and this is just truly a slap to customers while ruining Netgear’s reputation.

The funny thing is they blame nest and wish they had "Notifications to alert the user of disconnects" but come on Nest works with all the hundreds of products out there without an issue. Its a lame excuse. I recommend who ever purchase this Mesh system and see this thread please return  the product. 

Message 98 of 265
WilliamGr
Guide

Agree. I already ready returned mine to Costco. 

Message 99 of 265
FDohadwala
Initiate

We are facing similar issues (low battery) with Nest since we installed Orbi Mesh 6 router. Looks like this is a known issue. Plan to follow this thread, lot of good information. I will

@WilliamGr wrote:

open a case with Netgear.

@WilliamGr wrote:

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 100 of 265
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7