Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear GS608v4 Switch Set Up w/ CM1100 Modem + Orbi RBK852 Router

richki02
Guide

Netgear GS608v4 Switch Set Up w/ CM1100 Modem + Orbi RBK852 Router

Thanks to a recent community support string - I just purchased the following...

My Xfinity internet set up: 1gbs download plan / unclear upload speed (tests at 50mbs up)

My Cable Modem: Netgear CM1100

My Router/Satellite: Orbi RBK852 (includes Router + Satellite)

My Switch: Netgear GS608v4 Unmanaged Switch

My Home Wiring: House is pre-wired with cat-5 that can deliver internet connection via ethernet ports in each room/area of the house (6-8 lines).  Has a central panel where cable internet comes into the house and where all cat-5 originates.

Issue: CM1100 only has 2 ethernet ports and Orbi router only has 4 ethernet ports.  Neither is enough to connect all of the 6-8 cat-5 lines to deliver internet throughout the house.  Hence why I bought a 8 port Switch (hope that was the right thing to do).  

Questions:

* What is the correct sequencing of connecting the modem/router/switch/house cat-5?

* Does it go: modem>>>switch>>>router + cat 5?

* Or does it go: modem>>>router>>>switch>>>cat 5?

* Is the Switch that I purchased the right kind for the job?

* Any other advice to make sure I get solid internet connection through both wifi router and the pre-wired ethernet ports in my house?

The last support string was extremely helpful to get me to this point.  Think I'm pretty close to having everything set up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Model: GS608v4|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

modem>>>router>>>switch>>>cat 5

Sounds like you are all set with the gear you have.  Let us know how it turns out.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Or you can do this with the CM1100 and RBR850:

CM1100(LAG Enabled)>wire connect both WAN Ports to the >RBR850(with it's LAG enabled)>GS608 switch connected after the RBR850

@richki02 wrote:

Thanks to a recent community support string - I just purchased the following...

My Xfinity internet set up: 1gbs download plan / unclear upload speed (tests at 50mbs up)

My Cable Modem: Netgear CM1100

My Router/Satellite: Orbi RBK852 (includes Router + Satellite)

My Switch: Netgear GS608v4 Unmanaged Switch

My Home Wiring: House is pre-wired with cat-5 that can deliver internet connection via ethernet ports in each room/area of the house (6-8 lines).  Has a central panel where cable internet comes into the house and where all cat-5 originates.

Issue: CM1100 only has 2 ethernet ports and Orbi router only has 4 ethernet ports.  Neither is enough to connect all of the 6-8 cat-5 lines to deliver internet throughout the house.  Hence why I bought a 8 port Switch (hope that was the right thing to do).  

Questions:

* What is the correct sequencing of connecting the modem/router/switch/house cat-5?

I recommend using CAT6. CAT5 doesn't support 1000Mpbs fully, so you may see speed performance degradation.

* Does it go: modem>>>switch>>>router + cat 5? <No

* Or does it go: modem>>>router>>>switch>>>cat 5? <Yes

* Is the Switch that I purchased the right kind for the job? <Will work however if you decide to wire connec the RBS to the switch, you may see problems. IGMP protocols and green Ethernet, if present, need to be disabled on this switch. 

* Any other advice to make sure I get solid internet connection through both wifi router and the pre-wired ethernet ports in my house?

Is there a room to LAN Patch panel in place in the home or just LAN cables going to the switch?

The last support string was extremely helpful to get me to this point.  Think I'm pretty close to having everything set up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Message 3 of 10
richki02
Guide

Thanks. Will do.
Message 4 of 10
richki02
Guide

Sorry for the delayed response. Had to read up on LAG enabled and also patch panel that you had mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions and questions.

Here are a couple of questions/comments in response.

Good to know about cat 5. I wish i could change up the house wiring to cat 6 but will need to delay that project due to budgets. Also i do have space for a patch panel but connected to the above i may wait on that addition too. Having watched a video on a patch panel - it would certainly clean up the communication panel that is currently in my closet. Also i wont be wiring the satellite into the switch so will avoid the issue you noted. Thanks for that insight.

But in regards to the LAG. Sound like you are suggesting that i connect both WAN from the modem to router. And then connect the switch into router. And then cat 5 into switch. I can do all of the above and ensure i enable lag in both modem and router. I just wanted to better understand the benefits and how that will be better than what the other person recommended. I like to learn the “why” so i like learning from this process and i just didnt fully grasp the explanation on lag from what i can find on it. Would you mind educating me on LAG a bit more and if you recommend the LAG/2 WAN connection recommendation over the single WAN connection and no LAG?

Thanks very much.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@richki02 wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response. Had to read up on LAG enabled and also patch panel that you had mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions and questions.

Here are a couple of questions/comments in response.

Good to know about cat 5. I wish i could change up the house wiring to cat 6 but will need to delay that project due to budgets. Also i do have space for a patch panel but connected to the above i may wait on that addition too. Having watched a video on a patch panel - it would certainly clean up the communication panel that is currently in my closet. Also i wont be wiring the satellite into the switch so will avoid the issue you noted. Thanks for that insight.
IT would be best to upgrade to CAT6A in wall and do the patch panel all at the same time. Then you can run CAT6 or higher CAT# for patch cables. Something I did when I built a new addition to my home a few years ago. Hopefully you can do this in the future. You may see some speed problems with CAT5 and Orbi AX. May depend on quality and condition of current cables. 

But in regards to the LAG. Sound like you are suggesting that i connect both WAN from the modem to router. And then connect the switch into router. And then cat 5 into switch. I can do all of the above and ensure i enable lag in both modem and router. I just wanted to better understand the benefits and how that will be better than what the other person recommended. I like to learn the “why” so i like learning from this process and i just didnt fully grasp the explanation on lag from what i can find on it. Would you mind educating me on LAG a bit more and if you recommend the LAG/2 WAN connection recommendation over the single WAN connection and no LAG?

You would have two pipes going to one pipe. Offers better perormances in bandwdith sharing for devices of the main ISP speed you pay for. Though mainly used for 1Gb ISP services, it still works for lower speed ISP services as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

https://kb.netgear.com/000061324/How-do-I-set-up-WAN-aggregation-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-6-System

Message 6 of 10
richki02
Guide

Awesome - thanks for the explanation and the links.  I'll do some reading up and follow this set up plan.  Much appreciated. 

And yeah- I agree - will tackle this in the future (ie. cat6 + switch panel).  will only add/increase my internet needs in the future vs. decrease.  so this will be a good long term project goal.

again - thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 10
richki02
Guide

Thanks for all the help here.  My home network is all set up and working great.  Used the following per the recommendations...

Modem: CM1100 (set up ethernet port aggregation for more bandwidth and redudancy)

https://kb.netgear.com/000060394/How-do-I-set-up-Ethernet-port-aggregation-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-M...

Router: Orbi RBK852 (set up with WAN aggregration same reason as above) + Satellite

https://kb.netgear.com/000061324/How-do-I-set-up-WAN-aggregation-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-6-System

Connection: made sure to set up each individually before setting up the dual connection between Modem and Router (to avoid the loop).  Had issues with setting up the CM1100. Could not connect to routerlogin.net / routerlogin.com /192.168.100.1 .  Had to use an alternative computer and then it worked.  

Switch: GS608v4 (connected into the Router)

Connection: have all my house CAT5 cables plugged into the Switch to feed the rest of the house ethernet ports.  

Everything is working.  Thanks for all the recommendations on gear, steps, links and education.  Super helpful.  

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad its working well. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation