Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear ORBI showing connected but no wireless connection

Tcrus
Luminary

Netgear ORBI showing connected but no wireless connection

My ORBI RBR850 WIFI 6 has been working flawlessly for 6 months and all of a sudden I am getting no wireless connection. I performed a facotry rest, reconnected and yet it shows my wireless SSID. I am getting no signals on my devices even though there supposly connected. I have taken the usual steps rebooting the modem/router ect. I am at a loss for my wireless connection right now. Did my $700 router break? Any help would be great

I have this paired with a Netgear CM1000 which I do have an active internet connection just no wireless

Message 1 of 41

Accepted Solutions
Tcrus
Luminary

Well it looks like it was infact my Netgear Modem CM1000. I am not sure exactly what was wrong with old one but new one is working. I suspect old was faulty or Comcast somehow deregistred my MAC or altered something because after they removed the old modem and registred new one my ORBI started working and I had wired connections again. Man that was frustrating, easily spent 10-15 hrs doing work arounds and it ended up being a possible broke modem........... Having no internet during covid with kids in house is no fun. Thanks for the help

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 41

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What wireless devices do you have? 

Disable the wifi radio on your devices for 5 seconds then back on.

Are you setting up a new custome SSID name or leaving the default SSID name? Custome is preferred. 

Do wired connections work thru the RBR? 

By resetting the RBR, how long did you press the reset button for? 15 seconds then release is recommended. 

Message 2 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Latest

What wireless devices do you have?  ipad, iphones, smart devices

Disable the wifi radio on your devices for 5 seconds then back on. ; Tried this

Are you setting up a new custome SSID name or leaving the default SSID name? Custome is preferred. Custom

Do wired connections work thru the RBR? yes

By resetting the RBR, how long did you press the reset button for? 15 seconds then release is recommended. at least 15 seconds

- It shows me as connected yet none of my devices connect. As I said this was superb for 6 months and out of the blue this happens

Message 3 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using v11.2 FW or v10.11? v11.2 just came out yesterday.

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Set any Fragmentation Length to 2346. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What happens if you disable AX mode. 

Message 4 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

V3.2.10.11  is current fw and I see no updates to go to 11.2

I did change the values as they were 64 but did not work. Rebooted RBR and devices with no change. Seems like something is just wrong. I just don’t know what else I can do. How does the warranty work for these devices, purchased in october 19

Message 5 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Message 6 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

I would load up v11.2 on the RBS and RBR, factory reset the RBS and RBR and see if the default or custome SSID appears. If the problem continues, please file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 7 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Thanks, I was able top get new firmware on the router but not the sattelite (times out). I will enter a support ticket in the mean time I gotta get some internet with the kids out of school this will be brutal lol

Thanks again

Message 8 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the RBSs web page and send the FW file there directly if you can access it's web page. Look at the RBRs status to fine the IP address the RBS is using. 

Ya, this needs to be reviewed by NG. An RMA maybe needed. 

Message 9 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Well I was on the phone for 2+ hrs today and just kept getting transfered around, no solution. I guess RMA is next step. Thanks for the help

Message 10 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, Seems like phone support maybe crazy with all thats happening with CD19. Go for RMA. 

Message 11 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

At the thread unravels, purchased a new router nighthawk ax8 and I’m having same problems so might not be my orbi. I can connect from my modem to cpu no problem but when I use a router BAM no connection. I keep getting dhcp ip and dns errors and telling me to plug the Ethernet cord in. I’ve tried to obtain them auto and manually with nothing working. It’s either my network config which I reset (even did a new windows install and drivers)or maybe the modem- but the conn works from modem to cpu just not through a router. I’m stumped, any ideas? (Also used new cables just in case one was bad but had same results)
Win 10
Gigabit conn
Modem is cm1000
Routers I’m trying orbi rbr850 and nighthawk ax8
Message 12 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model of your LAN adapter in your PC? 

Can you try a different PC with a wired connection to see if this still happens? 

Swap out LAN cables and internal LAN adapter if possible. 

Run thru the windows networking troubleshooting wizard to see if this can help clear out any odd things. 

Message 13 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

The MB is asrock z390 tachi ultimate, intel is the manufacturer of the adapter. I purchased a new modem so gonna troubleshoot that and If my problems still persist it has to be the motherboard. I’ve swapped cables and sometimes it detects them and sometimes not. I will try a different pc and see if that works. Thanks
Message 14 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. I also have an AsRock as well. Working so far. Built back in 2018. 

Message 15 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Well it looks like it was infact my Netgear Modem CM1000. I am not sure exactly what was wrong with old one but new one is working. I suspect old was faulty or Comcast somehow deregistred my MAC or altered something because after they removed the old modem and registred new one my ORBI started working and I had wired connections again. Man that was frustrating, easily spent 10-15 hrs doing work arounds and it ended up being a possible broke modem........... Having no internet during covid with kids in house is no fun. Thanks for the help

Message 16 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the culprit. Modems can go bad. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Well the problem is back, internet worked fine for about 10 hrs after changing modems but then had a few dropped connections and now nothing. New modem so that can’t be it. Going to swap the orbi router out for the new ax8 again and if that’s not it then it HAS to be the Motherboard or something with my isp provider. Don’t know what else it could be
Message 18 of 41
kildare
Luminary

If your devices are correctly wirelessly connected but you can't reach the Internet you probably might have TCP/IP addressing problems/conflicts, maybe you're using some DHCP settings which overlap with your carrier's configuration.

You shoud check TCP/IP settings (IP, Gateway, DNS) as seen on your wireless devices.

The most likely setting that might have conficts is the Gateway address.

Message 19 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

I can reach the internet just not consistantly. I did go with a static DNS since looking in my event viewer I did see some DNS client event warnings. Well see how or if that makes a difference. Warning -Event ID 1014 - Name resolution for the name ad.afy11.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Message 20 of 41
kildare
Luminary

About DNS, some wireless devices might be using the Private DNS setting that may cause intermittent blocks.

Moreover, recent wireless devices implement by default the random MAC address functionality which might confuse and eventually saturate the DHCP servers.

Message 21 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Makes sense but what would be the fix for this?

Message 22 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

So I switched back to the ORBI and its connected so well see for how long. Even though before it would not connect. This is getting confusing. So here is the long story short incase someone decies to decipher this ordeal

My WIFI started dropping out and eventually no WIFI connection. I do have a connection through hardline directly from modem to CPU. I replaced the old router (when I say old I mean the $600 ORBI RBR850, 6 months old) to rule that out
with the AX8 and no connection still. OK maybe its the modem so I swapped out my CM1000 with a new CM1000 and registred MAC with IP and went back to the ORBI and BAM it worked great for about 10 hours, then the same issue. I did a couple modem resets from the ISP when the signal dropped through the day and it seemed to refresh the WIFI signal. Then the WIFI totally stopped working, nothing but when i disconnected from the router and hardline worked just fine. So I just swapped out the ORBI again for the AX8
and WIFI is working for now. I have some decent experience with computers IT degree and several certs so I am not a complete idiot when it comes to trouble shooting just half an idiot BUT what the hell is goin on. It has to be ORBI went bad but why wasnt the AX8 working initially with the old modem (CM1000)? Or is it the motherboard lan ports that are going bad but the hardline works all the time just not in combination with the router(s). My network settings are basic e auto obtain IP/DNS. My ISP provider tells me nothing is wrong on there end because when modem plugged straight into the CPU I have no problems BUT when I registered the new modem with the ORBI it worked great for about 10 hours.
I hope this sounds somewhat clear and I would really appreciate any ideas and reccomendations. What are you leaning towards as problem or feel free to add own conclusions
1. ORBI went bad or on its way out maybe the reason it works then doesnt? The AX8 did not work either when I first installed it but does now when its installed. 
2. Motherboard LAN ports bad or on there way out?
3. Router settings (but have not changed)? ip and dns are obtained auto but have tried statically too havent seen a change
4. ISP service something is wrong but hardline always works just not in combo with routers

Message 23 of 41
kildare
Luminary

@Tcrus wrote:

Makes sense but what would be the fix for this?

All these options can be disabled.

Generally they can be found in the network settings.

Message 24 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

It seems that un-enabling AX and having a static DNS 8.8.8.8 I havent seen any problems as of yet (using ORBI RBR850). Not holding my breath. Also using firmware 11.2. This is odd since I had not one problem in 6 months and then out of the blue, I did reinstall my components into a new case but that would not have anything to do with this, no other changes have been made except I did a fresh windows install after the initial problem happened.  

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7