Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RBR850 / RBS850 Series Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Series Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 Released

A reset should have been performed on v12. Your choice though.

I have reset mine the other day and reapplied the configuration from back up file:

CPU Load: 11.46%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 435 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 2 days 00:07:32

Working so far. No DNS issues though I've not seen that problems since the Orbi AX was installed 2019 with no IPv6 enabled. I'm now using IPv6 6to4 which is also working. 

Message 26 of 108
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A reset should have been performed on v12. Your choice though.

I have reset mine the other day and reapplied the configuration from back up file:

CPU Load: 11.46%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 435 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 2 days 00:07:32

Working so far. No DNS issues though I've not seen that problems since the Orbi AX was installed 2019 with no IPv6 enabled. I'm now using IPv6 6to4 which is also working. 

This brings up an interesting question about resets followed by backup restoration... I was under the impression that the backup restoration did MORE than just configurations and therefore wasnt recommended (because it could carry forward undesired internals).  Is that incorrect?

Message 27 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

From my understanding, backups are just user configurations that users set ON the RBR. I don't know for usre if they would include anything else. Some of these settings or configurations may not be valid or work correctly as newer FW may introduce changes which would cause older configurations to not work right or cause problems on newer versions of FW.

The backup I had used was from the same version of FW that I had loaded then taken a backup snapshot while on this version of FW. It's not recommended to user backup files from say older prior versions of FW on newer versions of FW. 

Message 28 of 108
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

From my understanding, backups are just user configurations that users set ON the RBR. I don't know for usre if they would include anything else. Some of these settings or configurations may not be valid or work correctly as newer FW may introduce changes which would cause older configurations to not work right or cause problems on newer versions of FW.

The backup I had used was from the same version of FW that I had loaded then taken a backup snapshot while on this version of FW. It's not recommended to user backup files from say older prior versions of FW on newer versions of FW. 

Thanks for that clarification.  For education, it would be interesting to ask the engineers to confirm if anything other than user settings are in there -- and if - indeed - it can accurately carry saved configs forward between minor or major versions.

Message 29 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course, I'll see if I can get that information. No guarantees. Smiley Embarassed

Message 30 of 108
Mstrbig
Master

Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 is the most stable firmware to date. I have it running on several RBK750 and 850 systems with no issues.

One importing step to note, although not always needed, is backup the router. Manually update the firmware on the satellites first, then the router, factory reset the satellites and router (this is the step that is not always needed). Reboot the ISP modem/router. Restore the Orbi backup. 

What I have found is Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 has fixed many issues and is fast and stable. Over a dozen systems updated so far, with absolutely no issues.  

Message 31 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Do I presume correctly you manually download and manually update FW on your systems using the devices web page? 

@Mstrbig wrote:

Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 is the most stable firmware to date. I have it running on several RBK750 and 850 systems with no issues.

One importing step to note, although not always needed, is backup the router. Manually update the firmware on the satellites first, then the router, factory reset the satellites and router (this is the step that is not always needed). Reboot the ISP modem/router. Restore the Orbi backup. 

What I have found is Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 has fixed many issues and is fast and stable. Over a dozen systems updated so far, with absolutely no issues.  

Message 32 of 108
magoldsm1
Aspirant

Where does this firmware stand wrt the NAT loopback (hairpin) issue?

I've been running 3.2.16.1_1.1.4 since last summer when support sent it to me.  I'd love to be able to update my firmware, but I cannot risk losing access to my network for my robotics students.

Thanks,

Michael

Message 33 of 108
magoldsm1
Aspirant

Also forgot to ask: is it possible to back up the firmware from the router?  I'm not sure I can find the 3.2.16.1_1.1.4 version in case I need to roll back.

Thanks,

Michael

Message 34 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Technically any bug fixes that NG does should be carried forward. Something you'll have to try and see. Not everyone uses your configuration the best test would be to try it out. 

Do you have the FW files that NG sent you? I would have kepts those source files.

All other released FW files can be downloaded from here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Select the Prior versions button and the load page for the Orbi model you have. 

Message 35 of 108
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do I presume correctly you manually download and manually update FW on your systems using the devices web page? 

@FURRYe38 I downloaded the router and sat firmware from the Netgear Support Download page. I first backed up settings, then used the GUI's Advanced / Administration / Firmware Update page's Manual Update page. I checked Satellite 1 and updated, then Satellite 2, then Router.

The updates performed flawlessly, I rebooted, and did not have to restore settings, nor have to factory reset. 

Message 36 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Thanks for confirming this. Smiley Very Happy

Message 37 of 108
mrwkbrdr
Star

With this SW and the previous, I have been experiencing constant disconnects, router crashes.

I was losing it. Working from home with intermittent internet is less than desirable.

Here is what I finally found to resolve these annoying issues.

Unplugged router and both satellites, waited 20 seconds then plugged in the router, waited about 4 minutes, then plugged in the satellites. For 2 1/2 days now I have had zero issues. Even my IOS devices and MACBook are solid with no loading issues or drop outs.

Hope this helps someone.

Internet provider AT&T Fiber, no gateway, spoofed MAC address with Gigabit switch.

SW version- 3.2.17.12

Message 38 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for posting that. Thats one item that uses should do after a FW update has been applied. Power OFF everything for 30 seconds then back on . 

Last resort would be a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Save off a new backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@mrwkbrdr wrote:

With this SW and the previous, I have been experiencing constant disconnects, router crashes.

I was losing it. Working from home with intermittent internet is less than desirable.

Here is what I finally found to resolve these annoying issues.

Unplugged router and both satellites, waited 20 seconds then plugged in the router, waited about 4 minutes, then plugged in the satellites. For 2 1/2 days now I have had zero issues. Even my IOS devices and MACBook are solid with no loading issues or drop outs.

Hope this helps someone.

Internet provider AT&T Fiber, no gateway, spoofed MAC address with Gigabit switch.

SW version- 3.2.17.12

Message 39 of 108
mrwkbrdr
Star

I think the sequence of what to power on and waiting for router to grab and populate all of the devices, then plugging in the satellites. Just my observation.

Furry posted:

Thank you for posting that. Thats one item that uses should do after a FW update has been applied. Power OFF everything for 30 seconds then back on . 

Last resort would be a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Save off a new backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed

Message 40 of 108
thrang1
Aspirant

After updating the router and satellites to 3.2.17.12_1.4.14, I am having repeated issues logging into the router either from the Orbi app or any browser

The Orbi app never finds the router, and browser log-ons just hang - never even gets to the login prompt.

I have to power cycle the router, which is not convenient with three people working from home.

The network is working, WIFI is working, but I cannot log into the router to make any changes or check settings/devices. The satellite nodes remain available to log into directly.

Netgear, the release notes for this version implies it FIXES isses with web and app log in... I am seeing them now WITH this version, and I didnt on prior versions (for the 10 days since initial setup)

FIX YOUR BUGS

Message 41 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreee. Seems like letting the RBR and devices get some time first, then RBS online after seems to work well. Wifi devices will migrate on there own to the RBS when they choose to. 

Message 42 of 108
Dexter68
Tutor

Hi, I'm new to the community and also recently installed my Orbi router and 3 satellites.

Is there a reason why this firmware update is not detected by the App or browser interface and has to be done manually? In the support page it indicates that is preferable to upgrade though the automatic function rather than the manual one to avoid compatibility issues.  I currently have version V3.2.16.22 which was the last available update available within the app and browser interface.

Thanks for your advise on this matter.

Message 43 of 108
mapotter99
Star

Fantastic firmware update!

It has resolved all the issues I have been having for the past couple months... inability to access the GUI at times, high ping in games, smart home device instability, etc. all fixed!

My guess is Netgear will release to the automatic updater through the GUI soon, once they are confident there are no issues from those of us more tech-savvy and able to manually update.
Message 44 of 108
thrang1
Aspirant

As noted above, OPPOSITE for me

I started getting login failures after this update - stepped down one version and so far I haven’t experienced the issue again

Message 45 of 108
rr20552
Apprentice

Manually upgraded satellite first then router.

Haven’t restored from backup or factory reset.

All seems fine including login gui.
Message 46 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

NG hasn't put this up on there auto update servers yet is all. You can manually download the FW files and manually install them using a wired PC and web broswer would be preferred. Do not use Orbi app. RBS first, then RBR lastly if you wish too:

ttps://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-com

@Dexter68 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the community and also recently installed my Orbi router and 3 satellites.

Is there a reason why this firmware update is not detected by the App or browser interface and has to be done manually? In the support page it indicates that is preferable to upgrade though the automatic function rather than the manual one to avoid compatibility issues.  I currently have version V3.2.16.22 which was the last available update available within the app and browser interface.

Thanks for your advise on this matter.

Message 47 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. I recommend making a new backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@mapotter99 wrote:
Fantastic firmware update!

It has resolved all the issues I have been having for the past couple months... inability to access the GUI at times, high ping in games, smart home device instability, etc. all fixed!

My guess is Netgear will release to the automatic updater through the GUI soon, once they are confident there are no issues from those of us more tech-savvy and able to manually update.

Message 48 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset next time if you have problems after a FW update. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches as well before entering into the RBRs web page. 

No log in issues here for me on v12 FW. 

@thrang1 wrote:
As noted above, OPPOSITE for me

I started getting login failures after this update - stepped down one version and so far I haven’t experienced the issue again

Message 49 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Make a new backup configuration to file for v12. 

@rr20552 wrote:
Manually upgraded satellite first then router.

Haven’t restored from backup or factory reset.

All seems fine including login gui.

Message 50 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7