Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Enable SSID broadcast option in RBR850 firmware

HansF
Guide

No Enable SSID broadcast option in RBR850 firmware

Firmware version V3.1.5.23_1.0.46 doesn't have 'Enable SSID broadcast' available on the

Advanced -> Wireless Settings page.... of the Orbi RBR850. I want to disable broadcasting SSID name but I can't disable it. According to documenttion and other screenshots, it should be available. Attached screenshot shows my settings screen.

It is a standard feature from security perspective to be able to disable SSID broadcast:

can it be disabled differently or is there an intention to get it back in a future version?

Message 1 of 18
PierreLad
Tutor

Re: No Enable SSID broadcast option in RBR850 firmware

Just bought this and am about to pack up and return it if I can't find a way to disable the networks individually. As with a zillion other people, I have IoT devices that require apps that connect only to 2.4ghz networks and if I can't force this, then this is a non starter. Help NetGear!

Message 2 of 18
HansF
Guide

My mail was specifically about not broadcasting the SSID of the wireless network which I consider important from security perspective.  Netgear creates a weblogin with an advanced menu but fails to put in a quite standard feature or they seem to have recently removed this. 

I would also put the option for separate SSIDs in the firmware for those who need it but in my case it seems to work nicely with a single SSID (that everyone can see and that's the problem).

In general, I would expect from a product with this price tag, high end configuration options available in the advanced menus that I can also find in other high end WiFi router products.

I trust that Netgear puts it back in a future software revision. 

Message 3 of 18
PierreLad
Tutor

I'm in agreement with you. I don't want or need separate SSIDs for each band. I understand you want to suppress the broadcast for security reasons. I want to suppress so I can temporarily force devices (specifically my phone) to connect to the 2.4 ghz network so I can setup some IoT that require the phone app be on the same band.
Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Like the Orbi AC model, at first NG didn't have a "Disable a SSID broadcast" feature in FW. It was at a much later date 2018, when NG came out with a FW update that added this feature to the Orbi AC. This helped resolve users with 2.4Ghz IoT only devices to get connected during there initial setup. Separation of SSIDs is not required or will not be officially supported on Orbi's at all.  I presume NG may do this with the Orbi AX. However we won't know untill they do. It's highly recommended that you post here and voice your request and concerns about this so that everyone and let NG know about there desires for this feature to be added: The more people post about it, the more apt that NG may get this feature in place.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good Luck.

Message 5 of 18
PierreLad
Tutor

Well, let me say it pretty clearly that it seems silly that they'd implement this to accommocate for IoT support in prior versions but not include it in the AX version. Perhaps worse than silly. This is a sorely needed feature.

Message 6 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

It is interesting that if you use the web gui and go to ADVANCED HOME you will see under MAIN NETWORK where it reports if the SSID is being broadcast under "Broadcast name"... but as is mentioned, there is no direct way to turn it off.

I suspect there is a command line capability to turn it off... perhaps on of our smart guys can see if it works.  

Message 7 of 18
Ultradog
Tutor

Same issue on my RBR840/RBS840.  Need to disable SSID Broadcast.

Message 8 of 18
Coomanator
Initiate

Bought the Orbi RBR750 from Costco and cannot believe that I cannot disable my SSID Broadcast. Why in the world is this feature not enabled. This is the most I have ever spent for a WiFi Router, and the most basic security measure is not available. I have never broadcast my SSID, seriously thinking of returning the system. I hope that Netgear fixes this sooner than later. Very disappointed.
Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You can post about this here and request it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

If this is something you desire or need soon, you'll probably not see this anytime soon. I have asked about this as well. 

Good luck.

@Coomanator wrote:
Bought the Orbi RBR750 from Costco and cannot believe that I cannot disable my SSID Broadcast. Why in the world is this feature not enabled. This is the most I have ever spent for a WiFi Router, and the most basic security measure is not available. I have never broadcast my SSID, seriously thinking of returning the system. I hope that Netgear fixes this sooner than later. Very disappointed.

Message 10 of 18
HansF
Guide

It's silly to even need to request this feature. It is considered a relatively standard feature to enhance security even for your home network system. A brand like Netgear should feel embarrassed not to provide this. Community support is a cheap way of no support. Only a Netgear product mgr or other responsible person can give an answer to when to provide this feature (and others). For a system with this price tag, you would expect faster updates and better support. Needless to say that I am not that happy with my choice for this system right now.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You maybe under false assumption that hiding a SSID is a would enhance security on the system. Hidding SSIDs can easily be found and attacked just as if it wasn't hidden. Not a standard much anynore since hidden SSIDs can be found. Yes it would be great to have the ability to hide SSIDs for some IoT installations which has helped on Orbi AC. 

I would suggest that if the Orbi AX doesn't meet your expectations, then return it and find something else. 

Good Luck. 

@HansF wrote:

It's silly to even need to request this feature. It is considered a relatively standard feature to enhance security even for your home network system. A brand like Netgear should feel embarrassed not to provide this. Community support is a cheap way of no support. Only a Netgear product mgr or other responsible person can give an answer to when to provide this feature (and others). For a system with this price tag, you would expect faster updates and better support. Needless to say that I am not that happy with my choice for this system right now.

Message 12 of 18
HansF
Guide

I agree with your comment that for a true hacker it is straightforward as there are dedicated tools to find them. It is still a useful feature to have in this IoT world. 

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I know, with the limitied design support of IoT mfrs not enabled in there setup software to allow a setup mobile device to connect to a 5Ghz frequency while the IoT gets setup on the 2.4Ghz frequency since BOTH are on the SAME network is silly. None of this would be needed of the IoT mfrs would better design there software to allow for this. Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 18
Proconsul
Initiate

I submitted a support request on this topic, and got the following reply:

"Going back to your case, Netgear made a business decision to remove "Enable SSID Broadcast" since the feature is not really needed there is really no reason why you would want to disable SSID or SSID broadcast on a WiFi system. Disabling SSID broadcast only hides the network name from other users it does not hide the network itself because you cannot disguise routers' WiFi activity. Furthermore, with SSID disabled it just becomes more complicated for WiFi devices to connect to it so there is really no benefit to disabling the broadcast.
But I can have your suggestion forwarded to the Engineering Team as a feature request, you may also post this suggestion on this link:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home"

As a CISSP, I'm frankly horrified by this position, and responded as follows:

"Thanks for the quick response.  I can only tell you that the decision to remove that option is contrary to industry best practice.  At the moment, I'm going to be notifying our customers that the 850 is not recommended for business use.  That's unfortunate, because I like the product a lot, and will probably continue to use it at home.  My network security company specializes in vulnerability assessment, and one thing we stress is denying attackers information whenever possible.  Broadcasting SSID's (especially when combined with poor password choices) is unnecessarily helpful to attackers.  You should Google "wardriving" if you aren't familiar.  One of our team members demonstrated it for a Washington television audience by driving past Washington National Airport and logging into their admin network - which he would never have seen if they hadn't been broadcasting the SSID!  This is the kind of option that needs to be available so that customers can make informed, intelligent decisions about their network security posture.  I would appreciate your help in taking this issue to Engineering so someone can correct this mistake."

All I can suggest to others on this thread is that we continue to ping Netgear Engineering on this issue, and spread the word as best we can to get them to wake up.

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

"At the moment, I'm going to be notifying our customers that the 850 is not recommended for business use."

You are aware that this Orbi AX is a home class router, not a business class router. So if some are using it in a business class environment, the would be using the incorrect class of router. Any kind of home class router should NOT be used in a business environment. 

I got a similar response to one of my queries as well. They seem to fail to not recognize an other use of SSID broadcast disabling for some reason...

I would agree, having the ability to disable the SSID should be added for both security reasons and for user IoT addition operations which some users are having problems getting there IoT connected to Orbi AX. It makes it hard when IoT mfrs don't allow there setup software nor the setup mobile device to be connected to the 5Ghz band and can't get the software to setup the device and requires the setup mobile device to be connected to 2.4Ghz when technically 2.4 and 5Ghz are ON the same network. Again, this is a IoT mfr limitation. Orbi AC supports has the ability to disable SSID broadcasts for this reason. I wish the Orbi AX did as well. 

Please continue to post about this here as well:

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 18
LChew
Initiate

Same here.  I got the RBR750 from Costco in August.  Seems that the Orbi App & Orbilogin are so dumbed down.

@Coomanator wrote:

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here:

Good Luck

@LChew wrote:

Same here.  I got the RBR750 from Costco in August.  Seems that the Orbi App & Orbilogin are so dumbed down.

@Coomanator wrote:

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7