Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR50 Wired Backhaul not working

wofie2a
Tutor

ORBI RBR50 Wired Backhaul not working

I have been struggling for 2 days trying to get the wired backhaul working on my Orbi 853 setup with one Wired Backhaul and 1 Wireless Backhaul satellite.  I read a lot of posts that said you needed to wait 5 minutes for the satellite to register to no avail.  I finally solved the problem and I wanted to share it to help others.

There is a special sequence of events that need to occur to "register" the satellite as wired.  I had setup my Orbi per instructions, wireless connections for all and latest firmware.  I then moved my satellites to their final location and connected the satellite via the wired network connection to the router. The new locations of my satellites were not in wireless range of the router ( basement with thick concrete walls ).

In order for the wired connection to be "registered" it MUST be in wifi range of the router when connecting the ethernet wire.  You can then move it to its final placement in your home / business via ethernet wire.  If you try to connect the device by a wired connection without first connecting it ( with ethernet ) while it is in range of wireless, you will find that the satellite creates its own "open" wireless network of the same name as your wifi ( basically a stand alone access point ).  

Once I brought the sattelite into wireless range and connected it to the wired ethernet backhaul, I could then transport it to a place where it was not in wireless range of the router and it registered almost immediately upon booting.

This solved the mystery.  Hope this helps everyone.

Best

Wolfie

Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, you are more likely to get an informed response if you post in the community forum devoted to the AX product line.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Most of the people who participate in this forum have the older WiFi5 product.

I seem to recall hearing that there were "issues" with regard to the AX product and ethernet backhaul.  But, not having one I have not tried to follow that topic.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using? 

@wofie2a wrote:

I have been struggling for 2 days trying to get the wired backhaul working on my Orbi 853 setup with one Wired Backhaul and 1 Wireless Backhaul satellite.  I read a lot of posts that said you needed to wait 5 minutes for the satellite to register to no avail.  I finally solved the problem and I wanted to share it to help others.

There is a special sequence of events that need to occur to "register" the satellite as wired.  I had setup my Orbi per instructions, wireless connections for all and latest firmware.  I then moved my satellites to their final location and connected the satellite via the wired network connection to the router. The new locations of my satellites were not in wireless range of the router ( basement with thick concrete walls ).

In order for the wired connection to be "registered" it MUST be in wifi range of the router when connecting the ethernet wire.  You can then move it to its final placement in your home / business via ethernet wire.  If you try to connect the device by a wired connection without first connecting it ( with ethernet ) while it is in range of wireless, you will find that the satellite creates its own "open" wireless network of the same name as your wifi ( basically a stand alone access point ).  

Once I brought the sattelite into wireless range and connected it to the wired ethernet backhaul, I could then transport it to a place where it was not in wireless range of the router and it registered almost immediately upon booting.

This solved the mystery.  Hope this helps everyone.

Best

Wolfie

Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Wolfie, Very useful and correct explanation, this is the working way to configure an Orbi system for a wired backhaul.  Just for curiosity: You talk in the post of the RBK853 - but the subject is RBR50 - and I assume this is not a mixed system?

Message 4 of 13
wofie2a
Tutor

Yes it is not a mixed system. Also there were a number of people with this problem that suggested if a switch was involved in the connection between the satellite and router. Both work fine if this procedure is followed.
Message 5 of 13
wofie2a
Tutor

Also the 853 when you view it in the app says 850.
Message 6 of 13
schumaku
Guru

RBK853 is a [K]it with [3] devices in the box, one RBR850 [R]outer, two RBS850 [S]atellites.

The problem with "a" switch in the wired backhaul is if this switch does serve STP ... this has to be disabled to make the fail-over from wireless to wired backhaul workable.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The main issues with switches is with managed switches were IGMP protocols are enabled or managed or non managed switches with Green Ethernet features that can cause problems if between the RBR and RBS. There are some non managed switches with green ethernet features that don't seem to cuase problems. If the managed switch disables IGMP protocols, then this shouldn't be a problem. I currently use HP Pro Curve 1400/1800 series switches and dont' have problems. I also have D-Link DGS105/108 as well. Non managed however these have some green ethernet features. 

@wofie2a wrote:
Yes it is not a mixed system. Also there were a number of people with this problem that suggested if a switch was involved in the connection between the satellite and router. Both work fine if this procedure is followed.

Message 8 of 13
wofie2a
Tutor

My main internet router has IGMP enables as does my managed switch. Zero issues with either being enabled. The issue was entirely addressed when the initial Ethernet connection was made when in wifi range. If you don't do that the satellite connects as an independent device as an access point with no security enabled.
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS will auto connect and sync with the ethernet connection if directly connected to the RBR. 

Message 10 of 13
Hambledom
Aspirant

Hi

I have read plenty about how to set up wired backhauls, but what I cannot see is if it is possible to set one up from one satellite (number 3) to another (number 2) where number 2 is connected wirelessly to the router? Is it possible to mix wired and wireless without having to go wired all the way back to the router?

thanks for your help!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible. You can try it out and see and let us know? I haven't tried that configuration.

@Hambledom wrote:

Hi

I have read plenty about how to set up wired backhauls, but what I cannot see is if it is possible to set one up from one satellite (number 3) to another (number 2) where number 2 is connected wirelessly to the router? Is it possible to mix wired and wireless without having to go wired all the way back to the router?

thanks for your help!

Message 12 of 13
Dd852
Luminary

Very interesting - but now I'm confused. I didn't set up that way (went direct to the final location, out of range of the router, and plugged in the wire) yet the interface shows it as a wired connection. While I should just relax and be happy, I do have glitches still ( one device in particular that doesn't roam smoothly from area to area) that suggest that the wired backhaul isn't behaving 100%. Before you did this procedure, how did the satellite appear on the interface? 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7