Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR850 -- frequent disconnects to WoW server

DaytonaZ33
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the mfr and model # of this switch? Just curious. 

Plese try my suggestion about downgrading FW with the RBR off line with the modem. Try this process and see if the RBR will come back as stable. I to find it very odd that one update has destablized your system and even downgrading it hasn't fixed it. Smiley Frustrated

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

Orbi 850 series. 

RBS connects to RBR via an unmanaged switch.

However with an iPad verified connected to the RBR WiFi, I've confirmed the disconnects affect both the Satellite and Router, and both WiFi and wired connections to both satellite and router.

The issue not being resolved by manually downgrading the firmware is confusing to me as well.

I'm not currently home to try your suggestion, but I will.

Switch is Linksys Business LGS108 8-Port.

Message 26 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

I see the switch has "Meets EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) 802.3az standard" This is green ethernet which historically has been known to cause problems with Orbi AC and AX. If it's worked for you then I guess keep it. I would try the RBS wirelessly at first after you get the RBR working better. If that happens. Trying to rule out items that can cause problems. 

Roger that. Let us know when you get home. Hoping we can get something working again. Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 133
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

I've had the same issue starting on March 9th about 6AM EST.  Since then, all my Nest devices and my work PC laptop disconnect every 10 mins or so, then reconnect after about 2-3 mins.  Just started happening out of the blue yesterday morning.  I've had the AX system for about 3 weeks (coming from the AC version) and performance had been great.  Then yesterday, boom, disconnects happening on specific devices all day, and today as well.  I've tried doing reboots, power cycles, trying to isolate to just satellite vs router, etc.  Everything on the network side looks good.  No idea why the disconnects are happening.  My FW is 3.2.10.11.

Message 28 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

So you game with WoW? 

Please follow up here with your initial post please:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/td-p/...

Thank you. 

@MeGrimlock wrote:

I've had the same issue starting on March 9th about 6AM EST.  Since then, all my Nest devices and my work PC laptop disconnect every 10 mins or so, then reconnect after about 2-3 mins.  Just started happening out of the blue yesterday morning.  I've had the AX system for about 3 weeks (coming from the AC version) and performance had been great.  Then yesterday, boom, disconnects happening on specific devices all day, and today as well.  I've tried doing reboots, power cycles, trying to isolate to just satellite vs router, etc.  Everything on the network side looks good.  No idea why the disconnects are happening.  My FW is 3.2.10.11.

Message 29 of 133
cleverpixels
Aspirant

About 20 minutes ago, I set the Orbi in AP mode and connected it to my Edgerouter 4. So far, no issues. I also don't know why downgrading the firmware on the Orbi didn't work, but at least I'm back up and running until a new firmware is released to hopefully address this issue. I'm also thinking about returning them since I purchased them from Best Buy and getting a different mesh setup. Interested to see if someone here finds a solution that doesn't involve using the Orbi as an AP.

Message 30 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully this will be addressed by NG. 

Please file a support ticket to let NG know what your seeing. Even if you return the system. They need to know.

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

No idea when this will be fixed. Has to be looked into first. Very odd that release fw doesn't resolve this. Smiley Wink

@cleverpixels wrote:

About 20 minutes ago, I set the Orbi in AP mode and connected it to my Edgerouter 4. So far, no issues. I also don't know why downgrading the firmware on the Orbi didn't work, but at least I'm back up and running until a new firmware is released to hopefully address this issue. I'm also thinking about returning them since I purchased them from Best Buy and getting a different mesh setup. Interested to see if someone here finds a solution that doesn't involve using the Orbi as an AP.

Message 31 of 133
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So you game with WoW? 

Please follow up here with your initial post please:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/td-p/...

Thank you. 

@MeGrimlock wrote:

All I was saying is that i'm having the same disconnect issue starting yesterday as others in this thread?  Others have posted about their work VPN going down every 10 mins?  How is me posting the same not relevant here?  We are all having the same issue, it's not a Wow issue, or game console issue or ISP issue or VPN issue, it's an Orbi FW issue it appears.  More info the better?

Message 32 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

I know. I was also asking about if you saw issue with the game of WoW which the OP started this post in regards too. 

Yes more info is great. Please follow up with this same information on your starting thread as well. 

I would again, make contact with NG support about this. Seems that even downgrading FW is not resolving issues. I'll try and make contact with NG support about this to also let them know. I think they need to pull this version off there update servers for now. 

Thank you. 

@MeGrimlock wrote:

All I was saying is that i'm having the same disconnect issue starting yesterday as others in this thread?  Others have posted about their work VPN going down every 10 mins?  How is me posting the same not relevant here?  We are all having the same issue, it's not a Wow issue, or game console issue or ISP issue or VPN issue, it's an Orbi FW issue it appears.  More info the better?

Message 33 of 133
cruisencode
Apprentice

@MeGrimlock wrote:

I'm having similar issues as well.  I don't play WoW, but I am getting disconnects on my Google Nest Hub Max and my Ooma Telo device.  This all started with the 3.2.10.11 FW.

Message 34 of 133
inc2k
Tutor

Same issue here... I play mostly COD and Division 2 and I constantly get disconnected. Originally no issues until the latest firmware update.

Going to dig up my old ASUS router and put Orbi in AP mode.
Message 35 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you gaming on xbox or PS? 

What is the Mfr and model# of your ISP modem for posterity. 

Thanks for posting. 

@inc2k wrote:
Same issue here... I play mostly COD and Division 2 and I constantly get disconnected. Originally no issues until the latest firmware update.

Going to dig up my old ASUS router and put Orbi in AP mode.

Message 36 of 133
DMatuza
Guide

So I have tried down grading to 3.2.9 and even 3.2.8 and factory reset after each one and skipped the update when it comes up in the app. The only thing I didn’t do was do it offline but I am hard pressed to see what difference this would make. Thanks
Message 37 of 133
inc2k
Tutor

RBK853.... on PC. I’ve tried both wireless (laptop) and wired direct (desktop). I am using Verizon Fios.

I also did a full factory reset. No help.
Message 38 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for the info. 

@inc2k wrote:
RBK853.... on PC. I’ve tried both wireless (laptop) and wired direct (desktop). I am using Verizon Fios.

I also did a full factory reset. No help.

Message 39 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 40 of 133
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

May you check your CTS/RTS threshold under WiFi settings. If it's set to 64, may you try setting it to 2347 and update the thread with your results. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 41 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you Christian. Will check mine as well. I think I saw this same value the other day. Smiley Indifferent

Message 42 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

I’ve set the setting to 2347 and am testing.

Would this effect wired connections as well? Because if not then this is not the right tree we are barking up, because my issues are with wired and wireless devices alike.
Message 43 of 133
cruisencode
Apprentice

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:
I’ve set the setting to 2347 and am testing.

Would this effect wired connections as well? Because if not then this is not the right tree we are barking up, because my issues are with wired and wireless devices alike.

I'm hopeful this will be the fix.  I also have my a wired device (Ooma Telo) that is having disconnects.

Message 44 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

May you check your CTS/RTS threshold under WiFi settings. If it's set to 64, may you try setting it to 2347 and update the thread with your results. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Set to 2347 still disconnecting. 

Message 45 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnecting as far as wifi devices or from WoW services? Both? 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

Message 46 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Disconnecting as far as wifi devices or from WoW services? Both? 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

In my case my work VPN is easiest to see the issue from, as my Remote Desktop session will freeze and I can see the packets stop in my VPN connection statistics graph.

This was tested on wireless just now. No reason to believe a wired connection would fare any better since the settings changed were directed at wireless devices anyway. 

Message 47 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Might check wired to see. 

Ok. Just wondering. Ya seems that FW really messed up. Sure is odd that those of use in beta didn't see this. Accept for the CTS value being at 64, the system has been good. I'll ask my roomate about gaming last nite. 

Hopefully NG will get this corrected soon. 

Message 48 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

Ripped out the RB850 and put my old Orbi RB50 system in and stable for the last hour, where as I would have disconnects every 10-20 minutes.

It's definitely the RB850 unit.

Message 49 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, NG is aware of it. Hopefully they can figure this out. Odd it's effecting some of you that posted. Doesn't effect some others. Smiley Frustrated Is frustrating.

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

Ripped out the RB850 and put my old Orbi RB50 system in and stable for the last hour, where as I would have disconnects every 10-20 minutes.

It's definitely the RB850 unit.

Message 50 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7