Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI WAN Stuck at 100 full

bran89
Aspirant

ORBI WAN Stuck at 100 full

Hi Everyone,

Lots of frustration here with my 4 month old ORBI RBR850 router.  I have comcast blast 350mbps download speed and Motorola MB8600 modem.  I typically get 300+mbps via wifi/ethernet.  About a week ago, I started seeing all speeds (ethernet/wifi) reduced down to 94mbps.  Comcast rebooted my modem today and plugging directly into modem via ethernet, I get green light on back of modem (indicating 1000 connection) and 360mbps via speedtest.net.

When using same verified good cable (and several others) between modem and ORBI Wan port, I get a yellow light on modem (indicating 100 full) and all download speeds are now 94mbps via ethernet or wifi.

I did a factory reset and without any customization, still got same slow speeds.  There is no obvious way to make the WAN port operate at 1000 manually.  If i plug modem into any of the other router ports, I get the green light and 1000 connection.

I attempted to get support via phone but I can't justfiy paying while the unit is still in warranty and could have a hardware/connection issue.

What are your thoughts?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@bran89 wrote:

Lots of frustration here with my 4 month old ORBI RBR850 router. When using same verified good cable (and several others) between modem and ORBI Wan port, I get a yellow light on modem (indicating 100 full) and all download speeds are now 94mbps via ethernet or wifi.

I attempted to get support via phone but I can't justfiy paying while the unit is still in warranty and could have a hardware/connection issue.

The Orbi "AX" product line has a separate community forum, where the participants (one would think) have experience with those products, unlike this forum where most of us have the older, residential Orbi.  Might get a more informed response by posting in the AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Most of the time, this issue is related to the cable connection, either the cable itself or the jack.  I would be tempted to take a very close look at the RJ45 WAN jack to verify that none of those eight tiny wires is bent..

I also agree entirely that Netgear's warranty/support practice appears inconsistent.  How does a customer get a warranty replacement after that "complimentary 90 days" of support has expired?  It appears that the only practical method is to send a private message to one of the forum moderators by clicking on their screen name (moderators have a capital "N" after the screen name, such as @Blanca_O ).

So, for what it's worth, my advice is:

• Try at least one more "known to be good" cable.
  • Examine that RJ45 jack closely.
  • Post in the AX forum.
  • Contact a forum moderator to learn how to persue a warranty claim.

Message 2 of 6
bran89
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response! I’ll move this discussion to the proper group and have a look at that jack.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@bran89 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Lots of frustration here with my 4 month old ORBI RBR850 router.  I have comcast blast 350mbps download speed and Motorola MB8600 modem.  I typically get 300+mbps via wifi/ethernet.  About a week ago, I started seeing all speeds (ethernet/wifi) reduced down to 94mbps.  Comcast rebooted my modem today and plugging directly into modem via ethernet, I get green light on back of modem (indicating 1000 connection) and 360mbps via speedtest.net.

When using same verified good cable (and several others) between modem and ORBI Wan port, I get a yellow light on modem (indicating 100 full) and all download speeds are now 94mbps via ethernet or wifi.

I did a factory reset and without any customization, still got same slow speeds.  There is no obvious way to make the WAN port operate at 1000 manually.  If i plug modem into any of the other router ports, I get the green light and 1000 connection.

What are your thoughts?  Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
bran89
Aspirant

So I called Netgear tech support for the 3rd time to try to get an RMA.  They assured me the issue was software on every phone call to them.  Today, they said they would refund the 50 dollars if I paid for the 3 month phone support and the issue ended up being hardware.  Fine, I give up at this point because I am so confident the issue is hardware related.

Big surprise.  After 90 minutes on the phone, the issue is a hardware issue.  They granted the RMA so we'll see how that process goes.  When I asked about the refund for the 3 month phone support contract, they had to issue a ticket on that and I have to wait 2-3 business days for a response on that.  I don't see why they couldn't address that directly on the phone with me.

What a terrible experience.  I work in high end product/service field and am totally sickened by this experience.  I hope moving forward, the ORBI will be reliable.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7