Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 6 AX6000 - How many satellites - Wired Backhaul possible?

nxda
Aspirant

Orbi 6 AX6000 - How many satellites - Wired Backhaul possible?

Although I have seen it written in different forums that the latest Orbi 6 is expandable with the ability to add additional satellites and that the satellites can use a wired backhaul... I have yet to see it written in any Netgear documentation. Can anyone here confirm these two items and point me to official Netgear documentation for it?

I need a minimum of 4 wireless access points (router +3 satellites). To cover our home and two barns. The router and a satellite will cover the house, but to do that it will require a wired backhaul. We have an odd and very long home. Devices placed at both ends will not see each other. I have cat6 pulled to each of the barns for the other two satellites. 

Can this system work as I would like or should I be looking at other technology?

Thanks,
Will

Message 1 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

What you have described is pretty much my scenario.  Very long home with outbuildings.

I have an AX6000 connected to a netgear switch.  From the switch I have three satellites (one RBS853 and two RBS 50s)

RBS50s are hardwired

I will swap the RBS 50s for 853s when they are sold separately.

Bottom line:  Works like a champ.

Message 2 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Mine works with 3 satellites too.
Message 3 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Except WiFi 6, do you see any performance advantages using 850 satellites instead of RBS 50s?
My iPhone XsMax has slightly faster internet speed connected to RBS 850. But I am not sure about the longer range.
Message 4 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

The wireless backhaul is extremely fast for the RBS 853s.  Also, the radios are far stronger and cover a much larger area than the old RBS50s.

I will definitely swap them out when the new ones are available separately.  

Specificially I noticed things like stronger signals on Nest doorbells and other IOT devices.

Message 5 of 17
dstrausser83
Guide

How did you get the RBS50's to connect to the AX6000? I've been trying for 24 hours and can't get them to sync....

Message 6 of 17
Bandito
Luminary

Are they connected to the Orbi router via Ethernet cable?  They must be hardwired to link up with the router.

Message 7 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

RBS50s must -- at this time -- be hard wired connected to AX6000s since the backhaul architecture is different.

Message 8 of 17
nxda
Aspirant

So could I purchase 2 of the RBK852 kits equaling (2 Routers + 2 APs) and use one of the routers in an AP mode? This would give me the 1 Router and 3 AP's I need. Again... with all backhauls being hard wired? Is this scenerio feasable? 

Thanks!

Will

Message 9 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

Will;

I would be patient and start out with an RBR853 kit that has either one or two satellites.  I understand the two satellite pack is now available and that additional individual satellites are being soon released for individual sale.

I wouldnt encourage you to waste your $$ for what would effectively be a useless RBR853 -- because it cannot be used as a satellite.

Depending on your location, recommend you look at COSTCO etc for the new products -- and of course ask on here where they are available.  Patience is the name of the game.

Remember, the AX6000 has a much larger footprint than the RBR50s.  You may want to get into it slowly to see what coverage you get and then get individual satellites as necessary.

Message 10 of 17
nxda
Aspirant

Can anyone tell me what the two pack is currently going for with Costco? We are not members and pricing is hidden. But if the price is right we certainly would become members! We currently have Ubiquiti's Amplfi mesh system and it's fading quickly after two years of service and need to do something soon.

Thanks again

Will

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

the RBK853 comes with two RBS satellites. 

Message 12 of 17
nxda
Aspirant

So I joined Costco. They are selling a 3 pack of the RBK53 (1 Router+2 Satelites) for $320. Netgear's site is selling what is advertised as a Version 2... Costco's site makes no reference to version so I assume it's a V1. If anyone is familiar with the differences or if you know if version 1 should be avoided, please let me know because I am considering these instead.

Tell me if my logic is faulty... All of my satelites will be hard wired, all media devices will be plugged into satelites and I don't know that we own any AX devices. We would only have a few phones and a couple of laptops that connect wirelessly. We are rural with a wireless isp and a whopping 8 Mb download speed. Does it make any sense to purchase the AX6000 version when I could have all that I need (in number of satelites) to cover our property for half the price?

Thanks again for your input!

Will

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

RBK50 series v2's don't come with a USB adapter. I think there was a minor memory size change as well. Otherwise, v1 and v2 are the same. 

Message 14 of 17
Bandito
Luminary

Since you only have an 8 Mbps Internet connection and no WiFi 6 devices, I think the the Orbi AX system would indeed be a waste of money for you.  The only scenario where you might benefit from the AX system is if you do a lot of wireless file transfers between devices.  There, the extra speed would be beneficial, but otherwise it would be overkill.

Message 15 of 17
nxda
Aspirant

Well I went with two of the RBK53 kits. With some luck this should cover our property!

Thanks again for your help!

Will

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7