Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX Mesh

kjguli
Aspirant

Orbi AX Mesh

Firmware Version
V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

I have had my Orbi RBR750 with 2 satellites for a few weeks and in general am very happy.  It has covered the dead spots I used to have. However, I regurlarly have issues where my computer or phone is not connected to the fastest or strongest source. 

Example 1:  my desktop computer (does not move) will sometimes connect to the satellite that is 15 feet away (strongest signal) and sometimes the Router that is two rooms and one floor away (good, but lesser signal).

Example 2: my laptop, that sets next to the desktop most of the time will connect to a 2.4G signal (10Mbps) and the desktop will be connected to a 5G signal (140Mbps). Other times the Laptop will connect to the closest 5G signal and run 240Mbps.

1. Why does one signal get used over another?

2. Is there anything I can do to force a particular signal to be used?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 12
Dd852
Luminary

Having had similar issues, I'd advise opening a stumbler on the device and seeing, over a 60 second period, the signal strengths in your locations. Apple devices in particular are extremely sticky to access points so if one of the satellites comes up before the other and has a strong and robust 2.4 signal you might just stick there.

I solved by: 1/being very careful and particular about bringing the satellites up in the order I wanted them in. 2/reducing the power of the 2.4 band -- you can experiment with 25% or 50% -- to change the shape of the wifi coverage cells. 

But first sniff your signals. You may be surprised how strong they are from distant places - and it may be in fact that you don't "need" two satellites. If, like me, you want three access points to get strong signals in a particular room then you have to be creative about shaping the cells and the power

Message 3 of 12
kjguli
Aspirant

Service Provider: Suddenlink

Modem: ubee UBC 1322

Satellite 1: 2 rooms and one floor between, ~40 ft from router

Salellite 2: 2 rooms and 2 floors between, ~30 feet from router

~ 40 feet between satellites.

Satellites positioned using Net Analyzer and Orbi App to get signal in dead areas.

fyi - walls are plaster

Channel selection is set to Auto.

5G band has always come been on Channel 48 and appears to be only WiFi on it.

2.4G band varies. I have seen channels 1, 4, 6 and 11. It is usually a different channel than the neighbors.

On one computer setting next to each other the 5G signal tends to be a few points stronger than 2.4G. The second computer is the opposite. I have also noticed the 2.4G strength relative to the 5G increases when the weather is cloudy and humid, and rainy,too.

I have a few devices in the house that only run on 2.4G.  Will turning down the power output effect them? Can I turn down only the 2.4? is the power output managed for all device as a whole, or vary by device (router/satellites)?

Message 4 of 12
kjguli
Aspirant

what shape do the coverage cells have?

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem is a gateway wifi router already:

https://www.ubeeinteractive.com/?product=ubc1322

What mode is it working in? Router or modem only mode? 

IF router mode, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 6 of 12
Dd852
Luminary

You can affect the shape by changing the position of the router/satellite - high up sends signals further, straight on tends to be stronger than side etc. Sometimes just a 90 or even 45 degree turn can make a huge difference in what picks up what. 

I only know Apple stuff - The best info I know is here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206207

The TL/DR is 

"Consider this threshold in view of the signal overlap between your wireless cells. macOS maintains a connection until the -75 dBm threshold, but 5 GHz cells are designed with a -67 dBm overlap. Those clients will remain connected to the current BSSID longer than you expect.

Also consider how the cell overlap is measured. The antennas on computers vary from model to model, and they see different cell boundaries than expected. It's always best to use the target device when you measure cell overlap.

Selection criteria for band, network, and roam candidates

macOS always defaults to the 5 GHz band over the 2.4 GHz band. This happens as long as the RSSI for a 5 GHz network is -68 dBm or better."

Other devices by other manufacturers will be different but they'll all have rules of some sort. 

Message 7 of 12
kjguli
Aspirant

we have a mix of Apple, Windows and Android devices.

Both are regularly dropping signals. I am getting a new modem to replace the Suddenlink Gateway.

Those issues asside I am regularly having my Windows computers grab the 2.4 signal and not the 5.0. I have lowered the 2.4 power to 50% but I have some older devices that need it.

When I am on the 2.4 i get download speed of 7-15Mbps.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try setting CTS and RTS values from 64 to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@kjguli wrote:

we have a mix of Apple, Windows and Android devices.

Both are regularly dropping signals. I am getting a new modem to replace the Suddenlink Gateway.

Those issues asside I am regularly having my Windows computers grab the 2.4 signal and not the 5.0. I have lowered the 2.4 power to 50% but I have some older devices that need it.

When I am on the 2.4 i get download speed of 7-15Mbps.

Message 9 of 12
kjguli
Aspirant

first few sets of questions are answered in earlier post.

I am a neophyte in the realm of routers, but generally know enough understand what is happening when it is explained. so, a few questions:

When the power for 2.4 is reduced from 100% to 50%(current) to 25%, what is the impact I should see?

I understand what Armor is.

What does IPv6 do? 

What does 20/40Mhz Coexistence do? and what is the impact of 40Mhz only?

What is the difference between Short preamble and Long preamble modes?

Message 10 of 12
kjguli
Aspirant

It was suggested to me that I should split the 2.4 and 5.0 networks and then just pick which one to use. 

Can this be done on the Orbi?

Pros and Cons?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@kjguli wrote:

first few sets of questions are answered in earlier post.

I am a neophyte in the realm of routers, but generally know enough understand what is happening when it is explained. so, a few questions:

When the power for 2.4 is reduced from 100% to 50%(current) to 25%, what is the impact I should see? Little if any. Seeing if this might help steer the connections from the RBR to the RBS if possible. 

I understand what Armor is.

What does IPv6 do? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

If your ISP doesn't support this, then it can be disabled. 

What does 20/40Mhz Coexistence do? and what is the impact of 40Mhz only? Ensures wifi devices connect at a higher connetion rate for maximum speeds.

What is the difference between Short preamble and Long preamble modes? How long a device takes to make the connection to the wifi signal

It was suggested to me that I should split the 2.4 and 5.0 networks and then just pick which one to use. 

Can this be done on the Orbi? NO.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7