Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX Router vs AP Mode

Orbi AX Router vs AP Mode

For anyone who has been running the new Orbi AX6000 system:

On the original Orbi AC3000 (RBR50), when you switch the system into AP mode things like Access Control, Port Forwarding, etc, are disabled.  I read that the Orbi Pro doesn't have this issue because it's basically assumed that it will be running as an AP.

My question is: does Access Control et al still work when the AX6000 is run in AP mode?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
Bandito
Luminary

The features that you are referring to, Access Control, Port Forwarding, etc., are all router functions.  In other words, the system's router is the only thing that can perform these operations as it has to route this information according to the rules that you've established.  Therefore, when you disable the routing function of the Orbi by switching to Access Point mode, it can no longer perform those functions for you.  These functions would now have to be controlled by whatever other router that you have on your network, so that is the router that would need to be configured with these options.

Hopefully, this makes sense to you.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned, when in AP mode, most features are disabled and not available on the RBR. When in AP mode it's just that, a WiFi access point that passes thru traffice from wifi devices to the main host router is all that it does. Nothing more. 

Message 3 of 7

They're only "router functions" because Netgear designs the system that way. As I stated earlier, the orbi pro is able to perform these functions while in AP mode. There's no reason why MAC filtering can't happen on AP mode other than the lack of that feature by design.

It's unfortunate that Netgear has chosen to limit these features on a high level consumer device. I suppose I'll have to wait for the pro version of the ax6000.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The Pro line is meant for business class environments that may have need for AP that have more router fuctions. For home class environments, much less or not at all. Most home users don't have a need to dual routing functions and features. Home class environments are for simplified users and setups. Not for the advanced user. Most home users don't want or have a need to hassle with features they may not use at all. AP mode as been like this for home class APs for years now. Orbi AC home has the same support. Nothing or or less when in AP mode. 

NG may come up with a Orbi Pro AX version. They only know whats on the road map. I presume NG isn't changing Orbi Home to match Pro features as this would compete with what they have in the Pro line up. 

Message 5 of 7

Oh I'm well aware of why they're doing it, I just don't like it. For $700 the orbi ax should be treated as a prosumer device. There are relatively few households that have the size or internet speed that would require a multi-gigabit router. Those of us who actually need it or want to buy it should have better options.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Well same thing was said when AC first came out. And here we are. Still at it. LOL. 

Ya, it's spendy. I do hope NG will make legacy RBS compatible fully. I think this would be helpful. 

It is what it is and its your choice to buy or not. Understandable. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7