Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX daisy chain problems

asuna
Aspirant

Orbi AX daisy chain problems

I recently upgraded from an R7000 netgear nighthawk router with an ex7000 extender to the Orbi AX4200 (RBK753) 3 pack to enhance wifi speed and range. Initially we were extremely happy with our upgrade. However, I have run into a slight problem. For some odd reason NG disabled the 'turn off daisy chain' setting with the Orbi AX systems. 80% of the time sattellite 1 and sattelite 2 connect to the router separately (which is what I want.) However, occasionally satellite 2 decides to use the signal from sattelite 1 instead of the router. When it decides to do this, it causes a short wifi drop which makes online gaming impossible. I am currently using an ethernet from sattelite 2 to my desktop. Sattelite two is approximately 50 ish feet away from the router. Sattelite 1 is currently somewhat in the middle but not in a straight line. The router and sattelites make somewhat of a triangle shape. However, even when I had sattelite 1 in a different corner of the house (not in the middle of the router and sattelite 2), satellite 2 would still randomly decide to connect to sattelite 1 instead of the router. I know this is the whole point of the Orbi AX systems, to decide what connection is the best. But this is driving me nuts because it causes a wifi drop when the switch happens that causes an intense lag spike when online gaming. When the network map is in star formation everything runs fine. Not to mention the lowered download speeds and higher latency when the sattelites daisy chain. (drops about 100-120 download speed and makes ping during online gaming less consistent. Normally I get 450-500 download speed)

I have seen other similar threads but did not really find a specific answer to solve my problem. Some people mention changing the CTS/RTS threshold (not sure what these settings mean) from the default value of 64 to a higher value (ie: 500 or 2347). Would changing any advanced settings help? 

I've already used a wifi analyzer to decide the best 5ghz channel which is 48. 2.4ghz is set to auto but none of my devices choose to connect to 2.4ghz anyways. 

Preamble mode is set to automatic (not really sure this setting means)

Firmware: V3.2.16.22

The router is connected to a cable wifi modem

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX daisy chain problems

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Placement and distance from RBR will be key to the system using Diasy Chain or not. The RBS maybe on a fringes of having good wifi overlap and the one RBS maybe getting good enough signals from the RBS and could be changing to the RBS from the RBR. Though not sure of RBS are programmed to do this automatically after already being turned ON and connected to the RBR first. Sequence of turning on of the RBS wil be a factory iniitally as well. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What happens if you turn OFF 1 of the RBS? Still notice anything? 

You can try changing the CTS values though mostly this effects connected wireless devices like phones, iOT and such. 

Message 2 of 5
asuna
Aspirant

Home is approximately 3,000 sq ft. Regardless of what way I sequentially turn them on, sat 2 will still randomly decide to connect to sat 1 for a few minutes and then connect back to the RBR. And yes, they are programmed to always be searching for the best connection unlike the older Orbi models. I have neighbors but there is a solid 200-300 feet between my neighbor on the left and 300-400 between my neighbor on the right. If I turn off RBS 1 there is not daisy chaining problem (obviously.) However, many devices will then be connected to RBS 2 and cause some lag for me when online gaming. Everything works flawlessly except for when RBS 2 switches to RBS 1 (which happens multiple times throughout the day). It is weird because after RBS 2 connects to RBS 1 it slows down my downloads speeds as well has highers latency. It realizes this and will switch back to connected directly to the RBR within a few minutes. 

Message 3 of 5
JonGN
Aspirant

I am also suffering with this exact problem. My satellites, which function perfectly when in a 'star' formation, are sometimes randomly changing to a daisy chain formation, which causes my Zoom calls to disconnect. How to fix? It's absurd that it isn't simple/easy to manually configure dynamic daisy chaining in this $1k+ system.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you swap RBS places with each other? 

I would move RBS 2 closer to the RBR...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7