Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX daisy chain work around

InOrbi
Aspirant

Orbi AX daisy chain work around

I understand from the Forum that the new AX losses the abilty to turn daisy chaining on or off.  Is there a way to work around this some how.

I have an installation where i need a Satellite A closer to a sister Satellites B and C than the router in order to have a hardwired connection to Satellite A.

Unfortunately Satellite A roams between sisters B and C.  If they are shut off it gets a GREAT connection from the Router.  When it roams it causes me to lose the hardwired connection - which is unacceptable to this implementation.

Short of selling these and taking a technology step backwards is there some way I can work around the web options (or lack thereof) and disable daisy chaining some other way.

Puzzled that this ability is REMOVED in a new version. 

thanks for any help.

T

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX daisy chain work around

Daisy Chain is automatic now on Orbi AX. Placement, distance and power ON of RBS in seqence is key. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 2 of 3
InOrbi
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AX daisy chain work around

The structure is +/- 5,000 square feet.  the router is on Main floor at front side of house towards middle.  That location is problematic to change.  Satellite B is also on main floor spaced about 50 feet away.  Sattelite C is on second floor opposite end up a level and 30+ feet router and 75++ feet and a level away from Satellite B.  This all works great and extends coverage to the outer rooms of the house and into outside areas.

The issue is in putting a third satellite A in a media room / office on the basement level closer to Router than B or C.  This allowed a hardwired connection without having to blow through several walls and a foundation to run wire.  It all works great - except that the Basement Satelitte A will drop its connection from the main Router and 'find' and daisy chain to the other two satellites.  When this happens, it causes the hardwired connected network devices to be 'lost' and need a manual restart.  Once reconnected it can be 5 minutes of up to a day until the Satelite C decides to wander again.

Let's not even get into the annoying latency the daisy chain now creates.

Spacing the other satellites as far away from C helps buy more time between switching; putting one closer to force a 'dedicated' daisy chain connection did not work at all.  Taking one or both of them out of the mix solves it - but kind of defeats the purpose of having wifi in the exterior rooms where needed.  I can revert back to running a second wifi network and deal with those gymnastics. 

Surprised that the basic functionality that existed previously has been removed.  

I understand that the "Netgear" solutions is work within the limitations we put in our products....but going to be sad to see this system go over this as it has otherwise been great.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7