Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 Mesh - Smart lighting 2.4GHz connectivity

Ktejlgaard
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 Mesh - Smart lighting 2.4GHz connectivity

Dear community, I hope you can help.
We have a quite large house, and im currently covering the house by having the Orbi router placed centrally in the house, and then having three Orbi sattelites spreading the wifi to the outer areas of the house.
One of the sattelites is in the office space, and here we have installed Calex smart lightbulps. After installing the lightbulps and finding out that they have problems connecting, i realized that they all connect back into the house to the main router via 2.4GHz and not to the local sattelite.

The sattelite in the office space is of connection type 5GHz and it turns out that all devices (including the bulps) that require 2.4GHz are trying to connect to the main router in stead of the local Sattelite, and thereby struggeling to connect.

Is there a way to force the sattelite to distribute 2.4GHz so that the smart-bulps can connect to it? In stead of trying to connect to the main router causing problems because of distance.

Thanks in advance
Kristoffer

Message 1 of 4
Ktejlgaard
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AX6000 Mesh - Smart lighting 2.4GHz connectivity

... I have now been into advanced, advanced settings, turning 5GHz off and setting power to 25%
But i still only get 5GHz on the sattelite in the office space and can only connect light bulps to the central router.
What is the workaound to get the bupls to connect to the sattelite in the office space?

Wouldnt mind turning the entire mesh/network into 2.4GHz, but it doesnt when switching 5.0GHz off in settings

Message 2 of 4
rdasketes
Aspirant

I would LOVE to find a way to get this working too. Expensive systems yet they don't take into account many smart devices require 2.4ghz. 

Message 3 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

@Ktejlgaard wrote:

The sattelite in the office space is of connection type 5GHz and it turns out that all devices (including the bulps) that require 2.4GHz are trying to connect to the main router in stead of the local Sattelite, and thereby struggeling to connect.

Your problem is not Orbi's SSID shared between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, but that your 2.4Ghz devices are some how not connecting to the satellite.  The 2.4Ghz network is mesh as well, so the base and every satellite can support 2.4Ghz devices.  It's not possible to make your Orbi satellite only broadcast 5Ghz (it uses 5Ghz for the backbone but supports connections from both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz devices).

I don't know why your devices would not connect to the satellite.  Orbi doesn't and cannot control where devices connect to.  The devices themselves decide which of the multiple wireless access points they connect to, and usually it's the strongest signal (so closest).  If you reset your light bulbs after your Orbi base and satellites are up and running, do they still try to connect to the base?  Do you see any 2.4Ghz devices connecting to your satellite?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7