Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX6000 (RBK852) wireless vs wired

aster94
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 (RBK852) wireless vs wired

Hello,

I recently bought a park of 3 Orbi. I sucessfully installed them and are working correctly.

I write because i have two questions:

1) I have the possibility to have them communicate in both wireless and wired (ethernet). Which is better, faster?

2) What happens if I turn off the power from a satelite or from the main router?

If I turn off the router would the satellite works the same?

if I turn off a satelite and another satelite is connecting to it via wireless wouldn't it be cut off?

Best regards

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What Kildare said. 

I prefer wired back haul as it's most stable. However 1000Mbs is the max link rate on eithernet for Orbi systems. 

@aster94 wrote:
Spoiler
If you turn off the RBR, then RBS and devices connected to the RBS will no longer get internet services. RBS wireless or wired depend on the RBR being ON and connected to internet services. 

So I can't turn off the RBR Smiley LOL

Spoiler
You can either have the RBS wireless or wire connected. Not at the same time per RBS. You can have 1 RBS wirelessly connected and another RBS wired. 

ok, but my question was different: I can have connected them in both ways, which should I choose? Isn't wired always better?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@aster94 wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought a park of 3 Orbi. I sucessfully installed them and are working correctly.

I write because i have two questions:

1) I have the possibility to have them communicate in both wireless and wired (ethernet). Which is better, faster?

You can either have the RBS wireless or wire connected. Not at the same time per RBS. You can have 1 RBS wirelessly connected and another RBS wired. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

2) What happens if I turn off the power from a satelite or from the main router?

If I turn off the router would the satellite works the same?

if I turn off a satelite and another satelite is connecting to it via wireless wouldn't it be cut off?

If you turn off the RBR, then RBS and devices connected to the RBS will no longer get internet services. RBS wireless or wired depend on the RBR being ON and connected to internet services. 

Message 2 of 11
aster94
Aspirant

Spoiler

Spoiler

ok, but my question was different: I can have connected them in both ways, which should I choose? Isn't wired always better?

Message 3 of 11
kildare
Luminary

@aster94 wrote:

From the specifications:

5GHz (2400Mbps†) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite

Now 2400 Mbps are better than 1000 Mbps...Smiley Wink

But only if the wireless backhaul quality is very good.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Kildare said. 

I prefer wired back haul as it's most stable. However 1000Mbs is the max link rate on eithernet for Orbi systems. 

@aster94 wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

ASUSGTBridged2RBR850RouterModeSpeedRate.pngASUSGTBridged2RBR850RouterModeSpeedTest.png

This is a test run with my ASUS GT-AX11000 wireless bridged to the RBR850. As you can see the connection rate is 2400Mpbs. The speed test maxes out since my ISP service is 1Gb and the LAN ports on the PC and the back of the ASUS is 1000Mpbs so we are seeing near or over 900Mpbs speeds on the down. 

Message 6 of 11
aster94
Aspirant

Do you know how can i check the "link rate" you showed from your AX11000?

I would need to do somethink like that on my phone/laptop. If i run a normal speed test i get the same value because my ISP also limit my speed far away from the specified orbi transfer rate.

This is just for the sake of curiosity: anyway my final speed is limited, so I would probably end using the wired connection, the 1GBs limit is perfectly fine and my goal is stability

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

wifi sweet spots app on phone or pad works well to check the connection rate between the wireless devices and host wifi source. 

Message 8 of 11
kildare
Luminary

@aster94 wrote:

I would need to do somethink like that on my phone/laptop. If i run a normal speed test i get the same value because my ISP also limit my speed far away from the specified orbi transfer rate.

To test your actual LAN/WIFI transfer rate you can use some apps, for ex.:

LAN Speed Test

https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

Only needed a shared folder.

Message 9 of 11
aster94
Aspirant

At the end i choosed to use the wired connection, the satellites are far and even if i didn't test the real wireless speed between them I doubt that I will ever notice any difference

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be fine with wired RBS. Will have good performance with wired. 

Enjoy. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7