Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000|RBK853 & AX4200|RBK753 Compatibility

ChopRum
Guide

Orbi AX6000|RBK853 & AX4200|RBK753 Compatibility

Hi all,

Trying to help my parents upgrade their routers/Internet and I'm trying to future-proof it as much as possible. I'm thinking of getting them the RBK753|Orbi AX4200 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBR750 and 2 RBS750). This has a 1Gbps NAT port, which is all they should really need since they subscribe to Gigabit Internet (let me know if that is an incorrect assumption). My first two questions relate to what they could do if they upgrade the ISP to Internet speeds >1Gbps. I'm guessing they would need to upgrade to the RBK853|Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBR850 and 2 RBS850) since it provides a faster NAT port (2.5Gbps). Again, let me know if any of the above are incorrect assumptions. Assuming I'm on the right track above, I'm left with the questions below:

1. Can the RBS750 be a satellite off of the RBR850?
  2. If yes, would the RBR750 also be able to act as a satellite off of the RBR850 even though it has the hardware of a router?
  3. Out of curiosity, would a RBR750 be able to act as a satellite off of another RBR750? Asking another way, if they somehow get a hold of 2 Orbi routers of the same model/generation, can one of those routers be used as a satellite in that network?

In addition to the above, I'm trying to decide what the real benefit is to getting the RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200. I feel like the RBK753|Orbi AX4200 is sufficient in most Home/SOHO use-cases/workflows assuming they pay for 1000Mbps internet, especially since the RBK853 and RBK753 leverage the same exact dedicated band for backhaul (Radio 3: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 5GHz—1024-QAM @ 2400Mbps) and the RBK753's second 5GHz band (not backhaul) still runs @ 1200Mbps speed on RBK753, which is greater than the 1000Mbps they pay for. The only use case I can really think of where there is a benefit in having the 5GHz bands that are faster than the ISP speed they pay for is if you are interacting heavily with a NAS or some other sort of local (within network) data transfer between Router/Satellite.

Assuming they pay for 1Gbps/1000Mbps, the only use cases that would justify getting a RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200 are:

• If they interact with a NAS heavily and regularly via WiFi. If they were hard-wired (even at a satellite) the NAS interaction would be about the same between the RBK853|AX6000 and RBK752|AX4200.
  • If they want to future-proof themselves for if/when they upgrade their ISP to >1000Mbps

4. Are the 2 points above valid/accurate?

5. Are there any other reasons/use-cases/workflows that would justify getting the RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200 if they only pay for 1000Mbps from their ISP?

Thank you,

Chop

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000|RBK853 & AX4200|RBK753 Compatibility

@ChopRum wrote:

Hi all,

Trying to help my parents upgrade their routers/Internet and I'm trying to future-proof it as much as possible. I'm thinking of getting them the RBK753|Orbi AX4200 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBR750 and 2 RBS750). This has a 1Gbps NAT port, which is all they should really need since they subscribe to Gigabit Internet (let me know if that is an incorrect assumption). My first two questions relate to what they could do if they upgrade the ISP to Internet speeds >1Gbps. I'm guessing they would need to upgrade to the RBK853|Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBR850 and 2 RBS850) since it provides a faster NAT port (2.5Gbps). Again, let me know if any of the above are incorrect assumptions. Assuming I'm on the right track above, I'm left with the questions below:

1. Can the RBS750 be a satellite off of the RBR850? Yes.
  2. If yes, would the RBR750 also be able to act as a satellite off of the RBR850 even though it has the hardware of a router? No. RBRs only support router or AP mode.
  3. Out of curiosity, would a RBR750 be able to act as a satellite off of another RBR750? Asking another way, if they somehow get a hold of 2 Orbi routers of the same model/generation, can one of those routers be used as a satellite in that network? No.  RBRs only support router or AP mode.

In addition to the above, I'm trying to decide what the real benefit is to getting the RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200. I feel like the RBK753|Orbi AX4200 is sufficient in most Home/SOHO use-cases/workflows assuming they pay for 1000Mbps internet, especially since the RBK853 and RBK753 leverage the same exact dedicated band for backhaul (Radio 3: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 5GHz—1024-QAM @ 2400Mbps) and the RBK753's second 5GHz band (not backhaul) still runs @ 1200Mbps speed on RBK753, which is greater than the 1000Mbps they pay for. The only use case I can really think of where there is a benefit in having the 5GHz bands that are faster than the ISP speed they pay for is if you are interacting heavily with a NAS or some other sort of local (within network) data transfer between Router/Satellite.

Assuming they pay for 1Gbps/1000Mbps, the only use cases that would justify getting a RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200 are:

• If they interact with a NAS heavily and regularly via WiFi. If they were hard-wired (even at a satellite) the NAS interaction would be about the same between the RBK853|AX6000 and RBK752|AX4200.
  • If they want to future-proof themselves for if/when they upgrade their ISP to >1000Mbps

4. Are the 2 points above valid/accurate? Yes. 

5. Are there any other reasons/use-cases/workflows that would justify getting the RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200 if they only pay for 1000Mbps from their ISP? No

Review the spec sheets between the 7 and 8 series Orbis to see the differences. Mostly it's wifi connection rates.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@ChopRum wrote:

Hi all,

1. Can the RBS750 be a satellite off of the RBR850? Yes.
  2. If yes, would the RBR750 also be able to act as a satellite off of the RBR850 even though it has the hardware of a router? No. RBRs only support router or AP mode.
  3. Out of curiosity, would a RBR750 be able to act as a satellite off of another RBR750? Asking another way, if they somehow get a hold of 2 Orbi routers of the same model/generation, can one of those routers be used as a satellite in that network? No.  RBRs only support router or AP mode.

4. Are the 2 points above valid/accurate? Yes. 

5. Are there any other reasons/use-cases/workflows that would justify getting the RBK853|AX6000 over the RBK752|AX4200 if they only pay for 1000Mbps from their ISP? No

Review the spec sheets between the 7 and 8 series Orbis to see the differences. Mostly it's wifi connection rates.

Message 2 of 16
ChopRum
Guide

Thank you sir! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 16
BiGMERF
Apprentice

wait a darn second... rbs750 can act as a sattelite for the rbr850? full backhual and all and wirelessly ?

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. It's the RBS#0 AC series that can't wirelessly connect or Orbi AX. 

Message 6 of 16
ChopRum
Guide

Actually, I do have a quick follow-up in regards to your "RBRs only support router or AP mode" statement. I'll try to phrase this using the correct terminology because I think I'm going to overlap a bit. Also making it a bit wordy just to lay the foundation of my question at the bottom.

My understanding is generally there are 2 main types of home network deployments if you would like to expand your Internet coverage around the house beyond a single-router deployment:

• Access Points (AP): Routers can be hard-wired together via Ethernet to increase the range and signal of your WiFi. If kept in Router Mode your device will have 2 WiFi signals for you to choose from (i.e. Netgear Living Room and Netgear Office). If changed to AP Mode, you will see the united network (Netgear Home) on your device and you will be routed to the Router/AP with the strongest signal depending on the room you are in.
    • Moca: Effectively the same thing as AP, Internet travels through the walls via Coax/TV Cables. Moca devices convert Coax to Ethernet and vice-versa. Once you have an Ethernet plug in another room via Coax, you can install a second router to act as the AP.
    • Powerline: Effectively the same thing as AP, Internet travels through the walls via powerlines. Simply plug the AP extension device into an outlet, and it will act as an AP.
  • Mesh: Nodes/Satellites can communicate wirelessly with a Mesh Router in order to increase the range and signal of your WiFi. You will see the united network (Netgear Home) when selecting the WiFi on your device and you will be routed to the Node/Satellite with the strongest signal depending on the room you are in. Some Mesh Routers/Satellites support wired backhauls, which effectively gives you the same/similar functionality as a traditional AP deployment that has multiple routers serving as APs.

Let me know if I'm off-base on any of the above.

Which of the below are possible with RBRs?

1. RBRs can act as a single router deployment without any APs nor Nodes/Satellites acting as an extension.
  2. RBRs can act as the main router with other Routers/APs extended off of it via hard-wired connection.
  3. RBRs can act as the main router with Nodes/Satellites extended off of it via hard-wired backhaul or wireless signal extension (Standard RBK deployment).
  4. RBRs can act as an AP off of another router to extend a non-mesh network signal.
  5. RBRs can act as a Node/Satellite assuming it has a wired backhaul.

Based on your phrasing, I believe only #1-4 are possible? Or, are all 5 scenarios possible and I interpreted your "RBRs only support router or AP mode" incorrectly?

Thank you!

Chop

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@ChopRum wrote:

Actually, I do have a quick follow-up in regards to your "RBRs only support router or AP mode" statement. I'll try to phrase this using the correct terminology because I think I'm going to overlap a bit. Also making it a bit wordy just to lay the foundation of my question at the bottom.

My understanding is generally there are 2 main types of home network deployments if you would like to expand your Internet coverage around the house beyond a single-router deployment:

• Access Points (AP): Routers can be hard-wired together via Ethernet to increase the range and signal of your WiFi. If kept in Router Mode your device will have 2 WiFi signals for you to choose from (i.e. Netgear Living Room and Netgear Office). If changed to AP Mode, you will see the united network (Netgear Home) on your device and you will be routed to the Router/AP with the strongest signal depending on the room you are in.
    • Moca: Effectively the same thing as AP, Internet travels through the walls via Coax/TV Cables. Moca devices convert Coax to Ethernet and vice-versa. Once you have an Ethernet plug in another room via Coax, you can install a second router to act as the AP.
    • Powerline: Effectively the same thing as AP, Internet travels through the walls via powerlines. Simply plug the AP extension device into an outlet, and it will act as an AP.
  • Mesh: Nodes/Satellites can communicate wirelessly with a Mesh Router in order to increase the range and signal of your WiFi. You will see the united network (Netgear Home) when selecting the WiFi on your device and you will be routed to the Node/Satellite with the strongest signal depending on the room you are in. Some Mesh Routers/Satellites support wired backhauls, which effectively gives you the same/similar functionality as a traditional AP deployment that has multiple routers serving as APs.

Let me know if I'm off-base on any of the above.

Which of the below are possible with RBRs?

1. RBRs can act as a single router deployment without any APs nor Nodes/Satellites acting as an extension. Yes. 
  2. RBRs can act as the main router with other Routers/APs extended off of it via hard-wired connection. Yes. This creates a double NAT condition which isn't recommended.  Can be used if you use the host routers DMZ for the 2nd router. 
  3. RBRs can act as the main router with Nodes/Satellites extended off of it via hard-wired backhaul or wireless signal extension (Standard RBK deployment). Yes. 
  4. RBRs can act as an AP off of another router to extend a non-mesh network signal. Yes. 
  5. RBRs can act as a Node/Satellite assuming it has a wired backhaul. No. See #4. 

Based on your phrasing, I believe only #1-4 are possible? Or, are all 5 scenarios possible and I interpreted your "RBRs only support router or AP mode" incorrectly?

Message 8 of 16
ChopRum
Guide

Thank you again for the second reply. Hopefully I made it easy for you by laying it out the way I did. Truly appreciate the help!

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you understand the ins and outs of the RBR and RBS now. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 16
BiGMERF
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes. It's the RBS#0 AC series that can't wirelessly connect or Orbi AX. 

well atleast that comes out to be 100 less than having to buy a 2nd rbs 850 to match your rbr 850

Message 11 of 16
BiGMERF
Apprentice

about to order the rbs 750.. hope you are right that it hooks up to my rbr 850 wirelessly... lol

i see some poeple say it onoy does it wired

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I haven't actually had any experience with the 7 series. So you'll be the one to let us know if it actually works. I would otherwise presume they should as I believe the code and HW are about the same and use the same code base. The only thing that differs is the connection rates between the 7 and 8 series. So I would think the 7 series would sync up with out a problem. I would make sure the fw is updated on the RBS first before syncing. Be sure you get a good refund policy in case. 

Message 13 of 16
ChopRum
Guide

When fury says "The only thing that differs is the connection rates between the 7 and 8 series.", I believe that is isolated to only the connection rates of devices you connect wirelessly to the satellite. The backhaul bands for the 7 and 8 series are identical (5GHz @2400Mbps). So, it really would not make sense if you cannot leverage the RBS750 off the RBR850 since the RBS750 uses the same code base and same hardware to communicate to the router as the RBS850.

I'm the same as Fury though, I haven't actually tried/tested this. So, we could be wrong. Let us know.

Full details of the Series 7&8 backhaul band: (Radio 3: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 5GHz—1024-QAM @ 2400Mbps)

Message 14 of 16
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Looks like I have the same question, did the RBS750 work well with the RBR850?  I'm too cheap to want to purchase the 850S for $379 for a 3rd Satellite. 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Anyone-Use-the-AX4200-Satellites-with-the-AX6000-Router/td-...

@EchostormFury wrote:

Looks like I have the same question, did the RBS750 work well with the RBR850?  I'm too cheap to want to purchase the 850S for $379 for a 3rd Satellite. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7