Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 (RBK853) and Motorola MM1002 Moca Adapter

ebachenh
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 (RBK853) and Motorola MM1002 Moca Adapter

Hi everyone:

Now that I upgraded to Verizon Fios 1 Gig service, I was very excited to install my new Orbi AX6000 (1 router and 2 satellites) as my first generation Eero's didn't support speeds faster than 125M.  The Orbi clocked in at about 850M with the router hardwired to the Verizon Fios G3100 modem.  Score!

My home is 3 floors and as I only have coax running through the house, the G3100 was resigned to be in the basement where the ONT is.  And therefore that's where the Orbi router is.  I placed the Orbi satellite on the main floor about halfway across the house, and then the 3rd satellite on the upper floor on the oppositte side of the house where the basement Orbi is.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of dead spots inbetween. And my 3rd floor office where I put my satellite Orbi provides only about 150-175M.  

So I purchased 2 of the Motorola MM1002 Moca Adapters thinking that would help.

My question:  is there a way to connect the satellite Orbi's on the main and 2nd floor to the 2 moca adapters (I have coax ports in both of those rooms) so that they get a stronger wired Moca signal versus the wireless from the main Orbi?  I did try to do that by plugging an Ethernet cable from the satellite to the port on the Moca.  I think that may have messed with things somehow.  Plugging into the Moca directly is great, but I am looking to improve my overall "mesh" and signals on the main and upper floors.

I guess my next option is to buy 2 more Orbi satellites and shorten the distance between Orbi satellites (although I don't think they are crazy far apart - straight line distance through a floor/ceiling is about 35-45 feet between each).

3rd option is that I could run an ethernet cable from the ONT across the basement and up to the main floor so I can put the G3100 router and main Orbi in a central location which might improve things.  

Before I go spinning wheels with all of this, I wanted to see if there are any experts who could help weigh in here on the recommended approach or tips?

My current setup is Verizon Fios fiberoptic-> ONT -> ethernet to G3100 Router -> Orbi router.  The coax that comes from the ONT goes to a splitter with one branch going to the G3100 router and the other going out to the TV coax outlets (TV set top boxes all run perfectly). 

Thanks in advance for any assistance! 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 (RBK853) and Motorola MM1002 Moca Adapter

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Basements are not recommended places for wifi routers. Main or 1st floor to start. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Your 3rd option would be your best bet to get the Orbi router out of the basement. 

If you are planning on hardwiring the satellites, they would have to be connected to the router or 1 satellite to router then the other satellite to the 1st satellite. 

Adding a satellite may help if your satellites are to far apart or you have a lot of obstructions and interference reducing the signal strength and coverage.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7