Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Appears "Broken" After Trying to Config IPv6

MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Orbi Appears "Broken" After Trying to Config IPv6

My Orbi AX system has been working perfectly since Netgear corrected that FW issue from back in March.  Not one blip, not one issue, it's been perfect.  Until yesterday.  I have Metronet fiber, and I simply went to the Orbi IPv6 settings and selected "Auto Config" and after the Orbi rebooted, it will no longer see my internet connection.  I reverted the setting back, rebooted, thinking it would go back to normal, nope.  Can't find internet connection from my fiber modem. I rebooted again.  I restored to factory settings from the Admin menu, I paper clipped the Reset button on the back of the Orbi itself, hoping to simply restore and resetup my Orbi and get back to normal. Nothing has worked.  My Orbi, even after all this, will not see my incoming internet connection.  I have no idea what could be happening?

I know its not my service, because once i throw my backup Arris mAX Pro mesh system online, internet comes right back and everything works just fine.  I cannot seem to get the Orbi to come back online doing anything I know how to do.  The only thing I haven't done is some sort of FW downgrade.  Not sure if that would even help.  The system has been fine on the current FW it's on, and now that i've factory reset the Orbi, I cannot get through the initial setup process.  On the app during install it simply tells me no internet connection, and the advanced settings want me to use static IPs, when i use DHCP with my ISP.  On the desktop admin menu, when i select to have netgear auto configure my connection, I get a page that says i have to enter the Fixed Internet IP Settings, which i don't have, my Orbi should get those automatically from my ISP.

Any suggestions here are appreciated.  I want to get my Orbi back online, and can't believe that simply trying to auto config IPv6 has broken it somehow...

Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power off your Fiber unit for 30 seconds when you factory reset the RBR then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR? 

What version of FW is currently loaded? 

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Yes I power cycled the fiber modem as part of the restore process of the Orbi. I did everything like I would as if I just bought it and was installing it as brand new. Like I said, when I connect my back up Arris system everything works fine.
Message 3 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

I can’t remember off the top of my head what the version numbers of the firmware are but it’s whatever the latest firmware version is that’s what I’m running.
Message 4 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is currently loaded? 

Message 5 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

V3.2.15.25

Message 6 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

I just manually updated the RBR850 to FW version V3.2.15.32_1.3.25

I have my satellite disconnected and powered off completely until I fix this.

Power cycled everything, Orbi still will not recoginize my internet connection.

Switch back to my Arris mAX Pro, everything is fine.  I'm at a loss.

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, something is wrong with the RBR. Please made contact with NG support on this. 

Message 8 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Netgear wants me to pay $50 for a three month support contract to troubleshoot this, saying my RBR850 is working fine.

Message 9 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

If anyone at all has any idea on this please let me know. My RBR850 is essentially a brick right now. If there are any official Netgear moderators, your help is appreciated as well.
Message 10 of 27
Chuck_M
Mentor

A couple of shots in the dark:

• Disconnect power from Orbi and let it sit before repowering
  • Try a different port in back of Orbi when repowering
  • Try a different cable from Modem/Fiber

Does your LAN still work properly when powered on?  (e.g. can you see local devices?)

I wonder if -- for some reason -- your provider has blocked that connection by MAC?  Is there a firewall you can check in your provider's equipment?

Message 11 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

@Chuck_M wrote:

I wonder if -- for some reason -- your provider has blocked that connection by MAC?  Is there a firewall you can check in your provider's equipment?

I also wonder if your ISP is stuck on an old MAC address (but usually rebooting the ISP modem fixes this, otherwise run some tool on your ISP to "Activate Your Equipment Online" like this thread).  You can test this theory by copying the MAC address of your Arris mAX Pro into the Orbi and see if that then allows it to get a WAN IP address.

Message 12 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I’ve done the power and cabling/ports steps but I agree I was leaning towards some thing involved the MAC address as well. I’m gonna look into that later today once my kids have finished their virtual learning for the day and I’m able to mess with the network
Message 13 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

So, I manually set the MAC of the RBR850 with the MAC of my Arris mAX, and still nothing, won't get an IP address.  Internet port tile in the Advanced homepage shows the MAC, but everything else remains 0's.  And as usual, I switch back to my Arris system and internet comes right back.  I guess I can call my ISP and do some troubleshooting on the ONT, but I just can't understanding how the Orbi is essentially bricked, since i've done about 5-10 factory restores on it by now.  All current settings on the Orbi are as they would be out of the box.  I'm stumped, in all my years of helping other people troubleshoot their routers, I'm stuck on my own, haha...

Message 14 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

Just as a test, does the Orbi work and get a IP via DHCP if you connect it downstream of your Arris?  If it does, then we know to look at something specific to your ISP.  If it does not, then it further points to an Orbi issue rather than your ISP.

Message 15 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

@Mikey94025 wrote:

Just as a test, does the Orbi work and get a IP via DHCP if you connect it downstream of your Arris?  If it does, then we know to look at something specific to your ISP.  If it does not, then it further points to an Orbi issue rather than your ISP.

Yes - I just set my RBR850 into AP mode and connected to my Arris mAX Pro.  After a reboot of the Orbi, I accessed the menu and everything is back to green!  Internet connection is good and on the Advanced dashboard, LAN port tile shows IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS, all of it.  I left the SSID of the Orbi different then my main Network, and I was able to connect to it and pull full speed wirelessly.  So it's taking the connection and IP from the Arris just fine, just not from my ONT fiber box anymore...  Which is a scenario only limited to the Orbi, since the Arris works just fine with the ONT.

Message 16 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

If anyone has any quick suggestions for what I need my ISP to assist with here, its appreciated.  Just so I don't have to go into too much detail on the backstory, hopefully I can instruct them right up front what I think I need them to help me with. Not sure if that is just a fresh reset of my ONT, or something in my ISP profile related to the Orbi MAC address that needs to be cleared, etc.  Thanks everyone!

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

So does the Orbi RBR work in router mode behind the Arris router? Even double NAT, the RBR should work behind another router. If it does, then there seems to be some incompatibility issue between the RBR and ONT if the Arris router is removed. 

Message 18 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So does the Orbi RBR work in router mode behind the Arris router? Even double NAT, the RBR should work behind another router. If it does, then there seems to be some incompatibility issue between the RBR and ONT if the Arris router is removed. 

I did not try the Orbi in router mode behind the Arris, only in AP mode.  I can try the same test in router mode later today and see what happens...

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Connecting the Orbi behind the Arris in Router mode worked also.  So what on earth could have happend, just by trying to set IPv6 to "Auto Config" that has bricked my Orbi once I connect directly to my ONT box again?  Even after numerous factory restores?  Sounds like the issue is on the ISP/ONT side, but what would that be?  Should I just ask my ISP to perform a full reset on the ONT box? 

Message 21 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

@MeGrimlock wrote:

Sounds like the issue is on the ISP/ONT side, but what would that be?  Should I just ask my ISP to perform a full reset on the ONT box? 

I would try this.  Have you asked your ISP for help with this before and what did they say when you told them you were trying to change to a new router?

Also, did you try the test where you the MAC address of your Arris mAX Pro into the Orbi and see if that then allows it to get a WAN IP address?

Without any real expertise in this area, from your tests it sounds like your Orbi is functioning and is not bricked.  It's just that when connected directly to your ONT it cannot get a WAN IP address.

Long, long ago my Comcast service required me to call them and speak to a human when I tried to switch my modem/router.  They had the MAC address recorded on their end and needed to swap in the new one.  Now, this doesn't seem to be the case but I have seen short periods of "no WAN IP" when changing my Comcast modem to bridge mode and switching to a new Orbi router.  I've fixed these short issues by calling the Comcast phone number and using their automated system to send a reset signal to my modem.  After everything reboots it works again.  In my uninformed opinion this sounds like something is restricted/limited to the old MAC address of whatever is getting the WAN IP address for my home's internet service.  It can now be updated self-service, but isn't immediate or completely automatic.  It seems similar to what you are experiencing.

Message 22 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Well the fact is the Orbi is not new. I’ve been running the RBR850 and a satellite since February. My issue started a few days ago when I simply tried to auto configure IPv6. When I did that my Orbi ceased getting an IP address and Internet connection from my fiber ONT. I have factory restored it probably 10 times by now and it will not accept a connection from my modem. I did set the Orbi to the same MAC address as my Arris and it would still not connect. Running the Orbi in both router and AP modes behind the Arris shows that the Orbi will still accept an IP and Internet connection but not when its directly connected to the ONT. I’ll contact my ISP and see what they say. I’m just not familiar with what on earth could’ve caused my Orbi to quit working directly connected, but allow my back up systems to work and the Orbi to work behind my back up systems.
Message 23 of 27
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

My ISP isn’t offering any help. They say since my ONT works just fine with the Arris, there’s nothing they can do, that it’s a Netgear issue. Haha.

I guess I have to pay the $50 for the privilege of calling Netgear and seeing if phone support can help. WTF.
Message 24 of 27
BiGMERF
Apprentice

curious what the outcome here was

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements