Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi KRB753 not working

NewOrbinotworki
Aspirant

Orbi KRB753 not working

Hi

Just got my new fast Orbi KRB753 wifi6 with 2 satellites, to replace my old Orbi with 3 satellites.  hope to get full use of my 1 GB fiber internet.

When installing the system, everything worked with the APP until it tried to get the new fitmware, something went wrong and I had to skip that phase.

I had both satellites in the same room as the router to make sure there is solid connection.

When I changed the name and password of the wifi network to the same I had before, it still worked but not all the devices could connect, perhaps due to distance. I have some 60+ devices, mostly Kasa home automation switches. Orbi specs say it can support 40+ devices, I wonder if this could be part of the problem? But some forums say it cn support 250 devices so...? I was able to use all the features of the App and had internet.

When I took the two satellites downstair to the locations where the old ones used to be, the system stopped working, the app went black and could no longer reconnect to the router. The app says it cannot connect to Orbi and asks to restart the whole installation from beginning. It is not possible to do that, however, so I did a factory reset and repeated the whole process, unfortunately with exactly the same outcome.

A wifi analyzer app shows that the wifi signal from all three devices is there, even after the problems started. But the system refuses to give any IP´s.

I connected a pc to the RJ-45 connectors during the problem to get access but no response on 192.168.0.1 or similar IP, and funnily enough there is no connection for the PC to the internet via the router LAN connectors so somehow the system just has tilted...

I am not a computer guy while I had a 1,5 hour session with Netgear support and we did what tey asked and could not fix the problem. My wife got a bit impatient so back with the good old 200 MB Orbis, and the new superfast Wifi6 Orbis are back in the box they came to me in. It may be that I am doing something wrong but the system certainly is not easy to set up...

Any ideas what is wrong and what I could do, or is the best advice just to send the stuff back and live with the slower system? I am hesitant to ask for a replacement if this is what I might see again, so maybe just a $500+ refund??

Thanks for your help

Jussi, Houston, TX

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi KRB753 not working

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try setting CTS value to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

If some devices are not connecting try disabling AX mode on the RBR. Some devices may not be fully compatible with Orbi AX systems. 

Message 2 of 6
NewOrbinotworki
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I will check today. I finished yesterday again in a situation where the router is non-accessible with the app or with the computer/browser and requires a factory reset. It is ON but here is no access to it.

I will reset it and check the firmware version. It refuses to find or install any newer firmware version, have tried several times. So that is not an easy cure.

The modem is BGW320 from AT&T, I think it is Nokia but not 100 % sure. It works perfectly, no issues other than that its software is not the easiest to use, just disabling the wifi (it has wifi6) took a while...

The distance to one satellite is 20+ feet and maybe 30 feet to the other one. There are ~ 2  light wooden walls in between. The two satellites are maybe 25 feet away from each other with almost visual sight between them. The old Orbi worked perfect in these same locations. I understand that the distance could be the problem, but should the router then collapse totally, and cannot be recovered without factory reset? Bringing the satellites back close to the router makes no difference after the collapse. Finding other locations for the satellites is not simple as we do have some equiment (surveillance etc) in those locations that have no wifi and require LAN connection to the satellites.

When I bring the satellites to the right locations (from close to the router), they naturally find more wifi devices to connect, and at the same time get further away from the router. This is when the system stops working and does not recover. I will try today what happens if I do not do that, just keep them close to the router - we will see if the router stays functional a longer time.

I wll do those modifications you suggested and we will see, I hope they help. I will report later today.

I had a lot of problems with the old Orbis in the beginning as they stopped working quite often, and I almost threw them out, but software updates cured them all and I have been very happy with them since, they just work month after month. I hope to find a way to make these new devices work the same way, but I wonder if it should be this difficult, hi...

Thanks for you help, I appreciate it!

Jussi

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@NewOrbinotworki wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I will check today. I finished yesterday again in a situation where the router is non-accessible with the app or with the computer/browser and requires a factory reset. It is ON but here is no access to it.

Press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. 

I will reset it and check the firmware version. It refuses to find or install any newer firmware version, have tried several times. So that is not an easy cure.

The most recent code is not available thru the RBRs web page. You have manually download it and apply it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Apply to the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

The modem is BGW320 from AT&T, I think it is Nokia but not 100 % sure. It works perfectly, no issues other than that its software is not the easiest to use, just disabling the wifi (it has wifi6) took a while...

Your ISP Modem already has a build in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

The distance to one satellite is 20+ feet and maybe 30 feet to the other one. There are ~ 2  light wooden walls in between. The two satellites are maybe 25 feet away from each other with almost visual sight between them. The old Orbi worked perfect in these same locations. I understand that the distance could be the problem, but should the router then collapse totally, and cannot be recovered without factory reset? Bringing the satellites back close to the router makes no difference after the collapse. Finding other locations for the satellites is not simple as we do have some equiment (surveillance etc) in those locations that have no wifi and require LAN connection to the satellites.

One way to test this out would be to turn OFF the RBS and run the RBR alone. However lets elliminate the modem causing problems. You may need more distance in between the RBR and RBS as well. 

When I bring the satellites to the right locations (from close to the router), they naturally find more wifi devices to connect, and at the same time get further away from the router. This is when the system stops working and does not recover. I will try today what happens if I do not do that, just keep them close to the router - we will see if the router stays functional a longer time.

I wll do those modifications you suggested and we will see, I hope they help. I will report later today.

Ok

I had a lot of problems with the old Orbis in the beginning as they stopped working quite often, and I almost threw them out, but software updates cured them all and I have been very happy with them since, they just work month after month. I hope to find a way to make these new devices work the same way, but I wonder if it should be this difficult, hi...

Thanks for you help, I appreciate it!

Jussi

Message 4 of 6
NewOrbinotworki
Aspirant

Hi

I have disabled both wifi radios in the modem, the only thing you cannot disable is the SSID which I had to leave there. But there is no wifi siignal from the modem.

I will work on this tonite, it is a little bit too much for my skills so we will see what happens.. hi

Jussi

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation