Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 853 slow speed even with fast connection

gjohn
Initiate

Orbi RBK 853 slow speed even with fast connection

I have just finished installing a brand new Orbi RBK 853 system in our home

Router is connecte to the internet via hte network providers Router (set in bridge mode)  with a 1000Mbps Download line - true performance

The ORBI Router connects then troug a home LAN installation capable of 1000Mbps - for a first speed test the ORBI system was able to match that speed, since all devices are connected the speed is down to 90Mbps - This was faster even with my old setup.

How can I find out what is slowing down the Orbi Network? As the Satelites are connected to the router by a fast LAN the available speed should remain fast. Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK 853 slow speed even with fast connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is this home network that the RBR is connected too? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I would turn OFF the RBS and speed test a wired PC connected to the RBR first. Then wireless at the router. 

Message 2 of 4
gjohn
Initiate

Thanks for the swift input.

Things look better now 

Completely reset and re-installed the network - The error might have been that the satelites did not sync properly by WLAN with the router prior to be connected to the cables. Speed is now better and consistent - Would you suggest to leave the CTS and RTS Values to 2346 - The automatic setup has set those to 64 - Would appreciate your advice on this @FURRYe38 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Seems that the wireless sync first then ethernet after still seems to be a good process. 

Run it for a while, if you are not in a noise wifi area with lots of neighbors near by, you can raise the value back up. Or if you notice some of your devices don't connect well or at all. I saw with this NEST controllers so I raised mine up. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7