Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK752 with Nighthawk R7000

Whisperwind
Initiate

Orbi RBK752 with Nighthawk R7000

I currently have a R7000 as my only wifi router, and recently bought a orbi RBK752 mesh system, should I replace the old router alltogether or should I use the two as a combo? 

My house has 2 floors that require wifi connections, so I was planning to put the orbi router on the first and the satellite on the second floor. The R7000 had problems maintaining connection on the second floor right now.

I also have 2 wifi 6 devices, will it hurt my speed to continue use R7000 as a part of the system? If I mainly use wifi in the house (with maybe 1 computer require ethernet), is there any advantage for one solution over the other? If using both as a system is better, how do I do it? 

I'm sorry for the long post, I don't know much about the science behinds this, only had the basic knowledge to use it as a regular consumer. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK752 with Nighthawk R7000

If the RBK750 covers the area, I'd leave the r7000 out of the system. Otherwise you just have another wifi broadcasting to add potential interference. 

If you want to offload some of your IoT devices though or use it as a backup, I've ran a mesh system with a basic router running in AP mode to put IoT devices on/backup. I just made sure to have it on a seperate ssid on far enough apart wireless channels to prevent interference. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the RBK750 covers the area, I'd leave the r7000 out of the system. Otherwise you just have another wifi broadcasting to add potential interference. 

If you want to offload some of your IoT devices though or use it as a backup, I've ran a mesh system with a basic router running in AP mode to put IoT devices on/backup. I just made sure to have it on a seperate ssid on far enough apart wireless channels to prevent interference. 

Message 2 of 3
Whisperwind
Initiate

Yes it covers the whole space. My old R7000 only had problem when trying to send signal through the floor, so put a satellite on the second floor solved it. I don't even know what a IoT is until I googled it lol. I'll keep the R7000 in storage in case the orbi malfunction and need to be send in for repair. 

Thanks for the clear answer! That's perfect for a noob like me 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7