Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK850 Speedtest Not Working

PeterHK
Guide

Orbi RBK850 Speedtest Not Working

I have RBK850 with three RBS850 satellites and after one day the Speedtest on the Orbi App and on the QoS setup on the Orbi Web interface have not worked.

When I try to run the speedtest I keep recieving a message 'Connection Failed", although the sysetm is working normally.

I have been in contact with Netgear support several times and they have been telling me for two weeks that it is a known issue and will be resolved within  1-2 days....

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK850 Speedtest Not Working

I wouldn't use the built in speedtest app regardless. its good to check/prove theres a a connection but it rarely picks the best server for speedtesting. Its one of the issues we see when people say "my orbi isn't getting full speed" and they're testing off the built in speedtest. 

Message 2 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Be to to compare speed results with Ooklas installable speed test app on a wired PC or laptop.

Thank you. 

@PeterHK wrote:

I have RBK850 with three RBS850 satellites and after one day the Speedtest on the Orbi App and on the QoS setup on the Orbi Web interface have not worked.

When I try to run the speedtest I keep recieving a message 'Connection Failed", although the sysetm is working normally.

I have been in contact with Netgear support several times and they have been telling me for two weeks that it is a known issue and will be resolved within  1-2 days....

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Message 3 of 27
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

Yes, I'm having the same problem.  I have an RBR750 with 2 satellites.  Like you, mine worked at first, then after a few days, I started getting the connection failed error.  I also contacted Netgear, but they did not say this was a known error when I called.  I still have the problem.

Message 4 of 27
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PeterHK and @Fritzsche0529

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Please provide the following information: 

- Router firmware version

- Orbi App version 

- Android and/or iOS version 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 5 of 27
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

Orbi app 2.6.2.9
Orbi firmware V3.2.16.6

iOS 13.7

Message 6 of 27
Cshartma
Guide

I have the same problem on my RBR850. The app, router and iOS versions are all the latest levels. I’ve deleted the app and reinstalled. Still no speed test capability. My ISP is Charter at 1Gig speed. All else is fine. The speedtest worked from March through about August time frame. I think the router did a firmware update just about then. I’ve called netgear support. They were useless.
Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make contact with NG forum moderator about this. Maybe something on there side of the fence regarding this that they need to address. In meantime, you can use Ooklas installable speedtest app to check  speeds. 

@Cshartma wrote:
I have the same problem on my RBR850. The app, router and iOS versions are all the latest levels. I’ve deleted the app and reinstalled. Still no speed test capability. My ISP is Charter at 1Gig speed. All else is fine. The speedtest worked from March through about August time frame. I think the router did a firmware update just about then. I’ve called netgear support. They were useless.

Message 8 of 27
Chuck_M
Mentor

I am pretty sure this is a Netgear server-side issue.  My speedtest also stopped working -- shows the results from a speedtest back in July and wont renew.

Have current firmware and nothing has changed - so I suspect this has to do with Netgear resources outside of the LAN.

The remainder of the RBR850 appears to be working well -- even logs.

Message 9 of 27
JanSt
Aspirant

Yes, I have the same issue. 

Message 10 of 27
Chuck_M
Mentor

I did a hard reset of my 850 and it all came back to normal

Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you speed testing wireless or wired? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@JanSt wrote:

Yes, I have the same issue. 

Message 12 of 27
Hereford85
Aspirant

I have this exact same issue and have tried everything to get around it. Nothing seems to help it though.
Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you speed testing wireless or wired? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@Hereford85 wrote:
I have this exact same issue and have tried everything to get around it. Nothing seems to help it though.

Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Speedtest working here:

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 11.49.53 AM.png

Message 15 of 27
C4H7
Star

Same problem here.  Wish I never would have bought this buggy $1000+ Albatross.

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

@C4H7 wrote:

Same problem here.  Wish I never would have bought this buggy $1000+ Albatross.

Message 17 of 27
C4H7
Star

Firmware:  V3.2.16.22

Motorola MB8600

Message 18 of 27
KMDonlon
Luminary

The lastest firmware should help you out:

New RBR850 / RBS850 Series Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 Released
New Features and Enhancements:

Supports the new device notification feature
Includes some security enhancements
Security Fixes:

Fixes security vulnerabilities.
For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

Fixes issues with Speedtest in the Orbi app
Fixes device access issues with the web UI
Fixes some web UI related issues
Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#download
Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the newer FW as suggested. I have it loaded and it's working. 

@C4H7 wrote:

Firmware:  V3.2.16.22

Motorola MB8600

Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

OrbiAppSpeedTestOrbiAX.PNG

Message 21 of 27
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

My SpeedTest has been working for months since my last factory reset.  I had to reboot my router yesterday, and the SpeedTest stopped working again.  I don't want to do the factory reset if I can avoid it.  I see that there is a FW update available, but it does not appear to be available for my system, or maybe just not in my area.  Any intel on the FW update?  I have 3.2.16.22...and am not given an update option to 3.2.17....

Message 22 of 27
C4H7
Star

" I have 3.2.16.22...and am not given an update option to 3.2.17....".

I have the same situation.

Message 23 of 27
C4H7
Star

Just did a manual update of the router and satellites to RBR850 / RBS850 Series Firmware Version v3.2.17.12 at the Orbilogin website.  Speedtest is now working again.

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

v12 is here and currently has to be manually downloaded to the RBS first then RBR using a PC or latop:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

@Fritzsche0529 wrote:

My SpeedTest has been working for months since my last factory reset.  I had to reboot my router yesterday, and the SpeedTest stopped working again.  I don't want to do the factory reset if I can avoid it.  I see that there is a FW update available, but it does not appear to be available for my system, or maybe just not in my area.  Any intel on the FW update?  I have 3.2.16.22...and am not given an update option to 3.2.17....

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7