Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK852-Connect to satellites by Ethernet?

skrishnan37
Aspirant

Orbi RBK852-Connect to satellites by Ethernet?

Recently got the RBK852 with 2 satellites.  Are any of the ports on the satellites WAN & able to connect to the main unit or is it all remotely?  (My house has ethernet ports throughout so I'm not worried about one unit being too close to another)

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK852-Connect to satellites by Ethernet?

With those speeds, should I be using cat 6 cables only?
And are Ethernet cables like cell phone charging cables. The longer the cable, the less the performance?
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

At minimum, yes. Cat6 or higher. I've been using CAT6 for years. Great performances. 

No they are not. 

Message 4 of 8
jcrim
Tutor

I just received a new RBK752 pair last week, and I use Ethernet backhaul between the router and the Satellite. I'm actually using cat5e - cat6 would be preferable, but it's what I had when I installed the cable for my TV a few years ago. I'm getting > 300Mbps over it, even though I believe it's rated lower.

IMO an ethernet backhaul is always preferable to a wireless backhaul, if you can use it. Fortunately the RBK752 and RBK852 support it. It was automatically detected upon setup, so very easy to configure.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy it. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
nakenergy
Guide

What does it do to the backhaul wireless radios if ethernet backhaul is turned on? Are those radios freed up to handle more traffic?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the backhaul radios are idle waiting for a connection should the ethernet connection be disabled or something happens to the ethernet connection. The backhaul isn't user configurable. 

@nakenergy wrote:

What does it do to the backhaul wireless radios if ethernet backhaul is turned on? Are those radios freed up to handle more traffic?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7