Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK852-EUS Multiple connectivity issues and high latency

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi RBK852-EUS Multiple connectivity issues and high latency

I’ve recently purchased Orbi Wi-Fi 6 and my network has became a complete disaster. The issues I’m experiencing are related to:

1) Logitech Circle 2 Wireless unable to connect;
2) High latency due to poor QoS;
3) WPA3 no backward compatibile

The reason I purchased this router is because I have 4 4K security cameras constantly streaming and 30 devices connected all the time. My previous network included a Netgear R9000 and 3 BT Whole home AC1200 discs that were struggling to do the job. Unfortunately, since I’ve upgraded to Orbi Wi-Fi 6 the network is a mess and things don’t work properly.

My Logitech Circle 2 Wireless Camera doesn’t connect to the internet. I changed Wi-Fi security to WEP, None and back to WPA2 but it keep saying “unable to connect to the cloud”. After I rebooted the router it connected for a second then permanently lost the connection again.

My Nest cameras outside the building are streaming with very poor quality, despite they’re set to the maximum quality. This appears to be an issue with QoS. If AC1200 was managing them, I expect an AX6000 to work better. Also, Netflix takes 3-5 minutes to start streaming a movie. This happened immediately with the previous network. It appears to be a QoS issue that cannot be fixed as QoS cannot be disabled.

WPA3 it said to be backward compatible but, if I turn it on, no devices are able to connect.

Most devices prefer connecting to the main router downstairs rather than the satellite next to them. This means their signal quality is worse than it should be.

All the settings mentioned in the manual do not exist. The system doesn’t work with Alexa as Alexa is unable to discover it.

Before I return it to the seller, do you have any idea on how to fix this? Unfortunately, I will have several more devices to connect and the old system cannot suppor them.

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBK852-EUS Multiple connectivity issues and high latency

I fixed it.

Orbi doesn’t allow Netflix and Prime video. But if I set it as AP and use another router as DHCP it works fine.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

WPA3 is still being worked on. There is current known problems with mixed mode WPA3 and WPA2 which caused NG to remove the mixed mode setting. So for now, leave WPA2 and AES enabled. NG is working on this. 

Message 2 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Both router and satellite are on firmware 3.2.8.5.

The ISP modem is an Openreach fibre modem model V-Focus V-2Fub/r Rev B.

My home is about 2000 sq feet. The distance between router and satellite is approximately 16 feet.

2.4GHz is set to auto and 5GHz is on channel 36. There are 2 networks nearby.

IPv6 is disabled. 20/40Mhz is currently enabled. I'll disable it and I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

"My home is about 2000 sq feet. The distance between router and satellite is approximately 16 feet." This is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I tried the following steps:

- Disabling 20/40Mhz 

- Disabling AX functionality 

- Changing channel

-Physically moving the satellite far from the router

However, Netflix takes ages to stream and the latency it's unbearable; Amazon Prime Video is unable to reach the server; Logitech Circle 2 still doesn't connect.

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try this, downgrade the RBR to v3.1.5.23.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#RBR850%20(Orbi%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%20...

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Turn OFF the RBS temporarily. 

See if streaming with a lower version of FW helps any. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

I tried the following steps:

- Disabling 20/40Mhz 

- Disabling AX functionality 

- Changing channel

-Physically moving the satellite far from the router

However, Netflix takes ages to stream and the latency it's unbearable; Amazon Prime Video is unable to reach the server; Logitech Circle 2 still doesn't connect.

Message 6 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm afraid that's not an option.

That version contained several bugs that have been fixed with the new one. I don't want to add more issues to the network. Also, the installation doesn't go ahead without updating to the latest software version. 

I factory reset router and satellite and this fixed some issues. The satellite was connected through the 2.4Ghz rather than its dedicated 5GHz channel. After the reset, it moved to 5GHz. Logitech managed to connect for few hours.

I suspect the culprit is one of those:

- QoS not recognising video streaming and prioritising browsing instead;

- Issue with ports;

- IPv6 (it was set to auto on my previous network but it's disabled on the new one). LG TV couldn't connected because it had IPv6 enabled on its side. After I disabled it on the TV, it connected.

Message 7 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I fixed it.

Orbi doesn’t allow Netflix and Prime video. But if I set it as AP and use another router as DHCP it works fine.
Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping maybe newer FW will fix these issues with router mode and your particular modems. Wondering if there maybe a compatibility issue here. Hopefully NG will look in to this. You might file a support ticket to let NG know about this.

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

@Retired_Member wrote:
I fixed it.

Message 9 of 23
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

My suggestion for issues such as this is to make sure that RBK852 is on the latest FW 3.2.8.5 as there may be some issues in an earlier version that are causing problems.

I have RBK852 at home and have not noticed any issues with streaming Netflix or Disney+ on my phone, iPad, Sony TV or LG TV.

@Retired_Member Can you let us know how you fixed the issue? I am curious to know this and it can help others having the same problems.

Also please note that Orbi AX is the first true WiFi 6 Mesh System so there is a lot of IoT devices and WiFi clients out there that are playing catch up with WiFi 6 and 802.11AX technology. So with that being said even though WPA3 and 802.11AX are backward-compatible technologies majority of IoT devices and WiFi clients may require software, firmware or driver update to avoid any possible interop issues we saw the same behavior when both 802.11N and 802.11AC first came around. For example, Amazon just updated the software/firmware of their echo Gen 1,2 and 3 devices to work better with 802.11AX and we are now seeing that interop issues are going away with WiFi 6 devices across the board.

Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

He mentioned in the other thread about configuring AP mode on the RBR. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-RBR850-can-t-run-Amazon-Prime-Video-and-IPhone-wifi-ca...

@ErnestTheGreat wrote:

@Retired_Member Can you let us know how you fixed the issue? I am curious to know this and it can help others having the same problems.

Message 11 of 23
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@FURRYe38  Thanks for the solution link from the other thread. The AP mode, of course, works since the routing on the device is disabled so it would be interesting to see if the device still has issues in router mode with 3.2.8.5 FW. I personally have not been able to reproduce any issues with streaming Netflix or Disney+ in my setup running RBK852 FW 3.2.8.5 but if there are users out there like @Retired_Member that can and I would encourage them to report the issue through contacting Netgear support because if this is a bug it needs to be logged and escalated to engineering through the appropriate channels so a solution can be developed.

Message 12 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi ErnestTheGreat. I played with several options and factory reset twice using firmware 3.2.8.5 but my Orbi blocks all the streaming services when it's set in router mode. No issues with AP mode; however, I've also noticed that the router reboot the satellite if too many devices are connected to the satellite, forcing them to access the router. My outdoor camera (5 feet away from the satellite) has permanently lost connection after this. I've opened a ticket with Netgear and see how it goes.

Message 13 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I appreciate this is a new technology; however, it was announced one year ago and it's also quite expensive so, when people buy it, they expect something that works out-of-the-box. I've bought it to fix my network problems (too many connected devices), but it ended up disconnecting most of them. Now, I've a £650 AP that doesn't work, instead of a standalone mesh system. I give Netgear support a go, then it goes back to where it belongs as I need my my network up and running by Saturday.

Message 14 of 23
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Hi guelfo831, it sounds like you are still having issues, but this thread indicates you have a solution. Can you clarify, is it still having problems?  Are you on the older FW or the latest? I first report this issue on the comunity boards. Of course, the ticket I openned was 'closed' even though they never fixed the issue. Orbi support is horrible about fixing their firewall issues.

Can you make Wifi calls with your phone? (router or AP mode ?)

Does streaming Services work? (router or AP mode ?)

Thanks for the update

Message 15 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So, just to clarify: I've never had issues with Wi-Fi calling and downloads. My problem was related to being unable to use streaming services and to get my security cameras connected.

I'm currently on the latest firmware V 3.2.8.5.

If I connect Orbi Wi-Fi 6 to the modem and use it as main router:

- Netflix is unable to reach its servers, despite it shows it's connected to the internet and able to determine connection speed;

- Amazon Prime Video is connected to the internet and able to play trailers but doesn't play films or programmes;

- Apple TV App it's connected but unable to play videos

- Logitech Circle 2 Wireless is connected but unable to reach its server;

- LG TV C9 is connected but unable to download or stream

If I connect Orbi Wi-Fi 6 to a Netgear R9000 and set it as AP all the above issues disappear. However:

- Nest Learning Thermostat sometimes permanently loses connection;

- Devices prefer connecting to the main router, far away from them, rather than using the satellite placed near them;

- The router reset the Satellite connection if too many devices attempt connecting to the satellite;

- Nest Camera Outdoor refuses to connect to the Satellite near it ad, therefore, doesn't get Wi-Fi signal

What I've tried so far:

- Factory resetting router and satellite multiple times;

- Re-sync Router and Satellite;

- Disable AX;

- Disable 20/40Mh;

- Disable IPv6;

- Set IPv6 to Auto;

- Moving satellite;

- Reducing transmission to either 50% and 75%

This doesn't change anything. I can fix the streaming issue by setting the Orbi as AP, but there are always additional issues. Most of the claims about this router are misleading! It struggles to reach 3000 sq feet coverage, far away from the advertised 5000 sq feet; WPA3 functionalities are bugged; NAT blocks streaming services; None of the features enlisted in the user manual is actually available.

I've bought it to improve my network, not to break it. I was expecting a Pro router fully working out-of-the-box, not to become an IT engineer and problem-solve issues that I'm not paid to fix. I really can't go to work in the morning hoping that my house won't be left unsecured because the router decided to reset my satellite connection and cut off the security cameras.

I'm giving it until Saturday to fully work and to get a callback from Netgear. After that, it's going back to Amazon as I'm not gonna keep a £650 piece of cheap plastic that doesn't work at all.

Anyway, if you're looking for a fix for your Prime Video and Netflix. Try setting Orbi to AP mode until they release a fix. In this way, you will bypass the Orbi NAT which I presume is the one that causes all these streaming issues.

In regard to the other claims (it's too new; other manufacturers should update their products, etc.) I would say this is not a consumer issue. It must be who designs the router who needs to be aware and fix it, not the people who give them their money. I think Netgear support is a complete joke. 

Message 16 of 23
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Totally agree, the product isn't performing as advertised, and continues to have bugs that make it unstable. It's surprising to me that they can't seem to address the bugs in their FW. The one I had needed to be on FW 3.1.x.x. to perform fast downloads, the later versions all had really slow downloads. The one I had before that, worked fast in downloads and would stream fine, but wifi calling would drop your voice. The product was announced in January, 2019, but didn't actually get released until end of October. I think they were struggling with the reliablity all that time, and possibly inconsistency in their manufacturing processes. January is just a few days away,  3 weeks till the next CES, will they announce ANOTHER product?? Maybe a RBK862??? lol 

I've heard that a different modem for the ISP 'might' address the issues, I doubt it, but I'll wait to hear the results. I have an R9000, that would work as the router, it still piss's me off that a firmware patch made it slower than crap, and can't be fixed. I have an R7000 that continues to do fine but fine is 70mb downloads vs 20mb on R9000...but neither of them had issues with Wifi calling, or streaming, or frequent reboots/resets...

I truly wanted the new Orbi to work for me (and others)...tired of having 1000mb connection to the house and all wired devices and slow speeds on wifi...

Message 17 of 23

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I've had three sets of Orbi routers (50/Pro/AX) and all of them have no problems with any streaming service, appleTV, etc...  Sounds more like a router/modem issue.

@Retired_Member wrote:
I fixed it.

Message 18 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Refer to previous posts. Different countries, different router, different setup, identical issue. Orbi NAT block all the streaming services. If you bypass the NAT by setting it to AP mode, all works fine.

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a modem/router issue to start with. Most of these ATT gateway modems seem to induce problems with Orbi AX and the prior Orib AC models as well.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Netgear-Orbi-and-ATT-Pace-5268-Router/m-p/1786833/highlight/tr...
Modem FW may have broke good speeds between the modem and Orbi in router mode:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Speed-Throttling-Wired-and-Wireless/td-p/1673291/jump-to...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-I-fixed-our-intermittent-internet-connectivity-problems-wi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1676934/...

I'm still curious to know and find ot if the user said his ISP was going to replace his PACE model modem with something newer and supposibly better working then see if the Orbi AX router will operate in router modem with in the new modems DMZ or IP Passthru. This will be needed to run the RBR in router mode. Unless the newer modem can be fully bridged.  

Look like the newer modem solved his issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-RBR850-can-t-run-Amazon-Prime-Video-and-IPhone-wifi-ca...

I don't have ATT nor use a PACE modem. Cable modem here, CM1100. Have not see any of these issues with my Orbi AX or AC models. They are both currently online, both connected the CM1100 modem on a 1Gb service line. 

@Redlightning88 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I've had three sets of Orbi routers (50/Pro/AX) and all of them have no problems with any streaming service, appleTV, etc...  Sounds more like a router/modem issue.

@Retired_Member wrote:
I fixed it.

Message 20 of 23

Yeah, I was replying mid-stream instead of going through the entire thread.  But I've used three different Orbi routers (AC/Pro/AX) with 3 different modems in three different locations/states with three different ISPs and all in Router mode and streaming has never been a problem.  I don't use the ISP junk, I just buy my own (various surfboards) and our streaming is fast and stable.  Really does seem like a particular issue with Orbi and a particular modem or modem chipset, if not some weird ISP setting in the modems they provide.  I know that this isn't helpful.  Just curious.  

I am having the problem with the AX since installation this weekend where once a day the whole mess just gives up the ghost.  iPad, iPhone, Note 10, all the nest cams and hubs and all other wireless devices are kicked off and the wifi signal disappears.  If I try to log back in, I'm told that my wifi password is incorrect.  Nothing fixes it but a reboot.  Then everything connects great and I'm flying along at twice the speed of my Pro until the next day when it happens again (usually at 3 or 4 in the am).  Thought they solved this nonsense with the prior models some time ago.  

@Retired_Member wrote:

Refer to previous posts. Different countries, different router, different setup, identical issue. Orbi NAT block all the streaming services. If you bypass the NAT by setting it to AP mode, all works fine.

Message 21 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like this older PACE Gateway modems are a problem. Looks like upgrading to the 210 resolves these issues:

At leaset for one user. Seen many other issues with PACE gateway modems. 

@ErnestTheGreat wrote:

Thanks for the solution link from the other thread. The AP mode, of course, works since the routing on the device is disabled so it would be interesting to see if the device still has issues in router mode with 3.2.8.5 FW. I personally have not been able to reproduce any issues with streaming Netflix or Disney+ in my setup running RBK852 FW 3.2.8.5 but if there are users out there like @Retired_Member that can and I would encourage them to report the issue through contacting Netgear support because if this is a bug it needs to be logged and escalated to engineering through the appropriate channels so a solution can be developed.

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Some ISPs like ATT don't allow or offer BYOM. There services required the use of ISP HW. Looks like the upgrade to a 210 model gateway has solved this for the one user. Hopefully will be helpful for users with these PACE modems. Need to get into something newer. DMZ or IP pass thru is needed for these gateway modems. Having to routers on the same line can be problematic. Been like this for a long time now. 

@Redlightning88 wrote:

Yeah, I was replying mid-stream instead of going through the entire thread.  But I've used three different Orbi routers (AC/Pro/AX) with 3 different modems in three different locations/states with three different ISPs and all in Router mode and streaming has never been a problem.  I don't use the ISP junk, I just buy my own (various surfboards) and our streaming is fast and stable.  Really does seem like a particular issue with Orbi and a particular modem or modem chipset, if not some weird ISP setting in the modems they provide.  I know that this isn't helpful.  Just curious. 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7