Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 is not reliable

MonkeyManor
Tutor

Orbi RBK852 is not reliable

I have recently purchased the RBK852 for my house and it has to be the worst purchase I have ever made regarding network equipment. 

Here are the reasons:

• I test my internet speed from the Orbi app and get 200+Mbps, my devices get 6-30 Mbps. They used to get 100+.
  • My devices lose connection while using them and I have to reboot. 
  • Anytime I turn off my TV or my PS4 I have to delete the wifi connection and reestablish it when I turn the device back on. 
  • My devices connect to the Router upstairs at 2.4 GHZ vs the Satellite until 3 ft way at 5 GHZ. 

It's just not operating as advertised and for the amount of money paid it should function. The model number is not in the drop down. 

My firmware is the latest at this time. 

In addition, I was on hold for an hour and the CS rep hung up on me. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

Your difficulties are not representative of what most of us are seeing with the Orbi AX product.  One recommendation to try that helps with older and iot devices that has been frequently recommended:

• Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2346. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings (use the website admin, not the app)

Other than the above and disabling "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" for 2.4Ghz, I'm running with everything else at default settings.  Did you have a mesh router before?  Don't expect your devices to seamless connect and switch to the closest satellite, however you should get good connectivity and have strong speeds anywhere within the mesh coverage.

- M

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@MonkeyManor wrote:

I have recently purchased the RBK852 for my house and it has to be the worst purchase I have ever made regarding network equipment. 

Here are the reasons:

• I test my internet speed from the Orbi app and get 200+Mbps, my devices get 6-30 Mbps. They used to get 100+.
  • My devices lose connection while using them and I have to reboot. 
  • Anytime I turn off my TV or my PS4 I have to delete the wifi connection and reestablish it when I turn the device back on. 
  • My devices connect to the Router upstairs at 2.4 GHZ vs the Satellite until 3 ft way at 5 GHZ. 

It's just not operating as advertised and for the amount of money paid it should function. The model number is not in the drop down. 

My firmware is the latest at this time. 

In addition, I was on hold for an hour and the CS rep hung up on me. 

Message 3 of 9
MonkeyManor
Tutor

Hi, 

the Modem is Arris, Surfboard, SB6183.

Home Area is 2,800 Sq Ft. 

I followed the link for the setup of the device. One upstairs on East side of house, One Downstairs on West Side. 

Channels are Auto. I will try the other channels. 

There are two wifi's in the neighborhood.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check the CTS and RTS values as well. 

Message 5 of 9
MonkeyManor
Tutor

I have made the change CTS/RTS. I am still having a problem with the devices having great bandwidth and then dropping. For example, this device has been at 100+Mbs and then it will drop down to <1Mbp.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS? 

If you turn OFF the RBS, do you still see the drop in speed with the RBR only? 

Message 7 of 9
MonkeyManor
Tutor

One is upstairs and one is downstairs. I would guess about 50 ft in a straight line. 

I have turned off the RBS and still have issue. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and walk thru the setup wizard. Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON when you reset the Orbi AX. Set the CTS and RTS values to 2346 as well. 

See if this changes anything. IF it doesn't then I'd return the system for another one. You may have a bad system. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7