Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK853 & PS4

skrishnan37
Aspirant

Orbi RBK853 & PS4

Tried connecting my PS4 to the Orbi. Have tried by WiFi and then Ethernet cable to the satellite and then to the router itself, all with the same results. I can't sign in to the PlayStation Network and the speeds are abysmal. (45 Mbps by WiFi & 75 by Ethernet)

Both the PlayStation and the Orbi are up to date on firmware (the latter just updated a few days ago)

Any ideas?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Big Update:

So I'll preface this by describing by setup:
At&T fiber optic < Dumbswitch (takes place of At&T Arris router) < Orbi RBK852. My house was built in 2005 & most rooms are wired with an Ethernet port using Cat 5e cables in the walls. The Orbi is setup at this hub and I can plug a cable directly from the Orbi to allow a wired connection to parts of the house.

I'd been having low speeds on my PS4 so I tried to maximize it with a Cat6 cable directly from the PS4 to the Ethernet port. (I had tried earlier configurations with the PS4 doing wifi, then the PS4 wired to a satellite that was just plugged in, then the PS4 wired to a satellite which was connected by Ethernet cable to the Orbi)

As I'd stated earlier, no such luck. If the PS4 was on Wi-Fi, the top download speed was around 47Mbps.
If the PS4 was wired even directly to the router, (well through an Ethernet port in the house), then the top download speed was around 89 Mbps.

I tried manually configuring the wired connection rather than automatic on the PS4, tried port forwarding, etc. No difference.

I bought some Cat 7 cables recently and changed everything I could up. From the At&T box to the dumbswitch, the switch to the Orbi router, the wired connection of the satellite to the router and lastly, the satellite to the PS4: ALL got a cable upgrade to Cat7. The only thing I didn't change was the wired ports throughout the house, since my wife would kill me if I tore up the walls.

The speed!! 256 Mbps! And that was just through the satellite!
Then I tried directly doing the Cat7 cable from the PS4 to the router (through an Ethernet port). My new speed: 447 Mbps!!

So, the cables make a difference!

My next step is to get a 100 foot cat 7 cable and test the difference in speed if I go from the PS4 DIRECTLY to the Router, (bypassing the Ethernet ports in the house which use Cat5e cables). If there's a sizable difference, maybe my wife will let me get that hub rewired with Cat 7....

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 12
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Sorry, should've clarified. The firmware is the new v3.2.15.25. I have at&t fiber, but use the dumbswitch method to remove to at&t modem altogether.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you sign into the PS network using there web page and web browser from a PC? 

So if you connect the PS console via ethernet to the back of the RBR, does it get a IP address from the RBR? 

Message 4 of 12
skrishnan37
Aspirant

I can sign in to the network. And just updated the PlayStation (new update today). Despite that, no change on those speeds. I was thinking of manually configuring the wired connection. Do you think that would make any difference?
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What speeds do you see with a wired PC vs PS console? 

Message 6 of 12
Matt_Pendlebury
Aspirant

Hi - I'm in the same boat as you here. Although I did try the wired connection, I didn't see any better download speeds. Wondering if it's a limitation of the PS4 somehow.

Matt

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen similar speed problems with xbox consoles as well. I never use gaming consoles to speed test with. Always a wired PC or laptop for best accruate testing. 

@Matt_Pendlebury wrote:

Hi - I'm in the same boat as you here. Although I did try the wired connection, I didn't see any better download speeds. Wondering if it's a limitation of the PS4 somehow.

Matt

Message 8 of 12
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Big Update:

So I'll preface this by describing by setup:
At&T fiber optic < Dumbswitch (takes place of At&T Arris router) < Orbi RBK852. My house was built in 2005 & most rooms are wired with an Ethernet port using Cat 5e cables in the walls. The Orbi is setup at this hub and I can plug a cable directly from the Orbi to allow a wired connection to parts of the house.

I'd been having low speeds on my PS4 so I tried to maximize it with a Cat6 cable directly from the PS4 to the Ethernet port. (I had tried earlier configurations with the PS4 doing wifi, then the PS4 wired to a satellite that was just plugged in, then the PS4 wired to a satellite which was connected by Ethernet cable to the Orbi)

As I'd stated earlier, no such luck. If the PS4 was on Wi-Fi, the top download speed was around 47Mbps.
If the PS4 was wired even directly to the router, (well through an Ethernet port in the house), then the top download speed was around 89 Mbps.

I tried manually configuring the wired connection rather than automatic on the PS4, tried port forwarding, etc. No difference.

I bought some Cat 7 cables recently and changed everything I could up. From the At&T box to the dumbswitch, the switch to the Orbi router, the wired connection of the satellite to the router and lastly, the satellite to the PS4: ALL got a cable upgrade to Cat7. The only thing I didn't change was the wired ports throughout the house, since my wife would kill me if I tore up the walls.

The speed!! 256 Mbps! And that was just through the satellite!
Then I tried directly doing the Cat7 cable from the PS4 to the router (through an Ethernet port). My new speed: 447 Mbps!!

So, the cables make a difference!

My next step is to get a 100 foot cat 7 cable and test the difference in speed if I go from the PS4 DIRECTLY to the Router, (bypassing the Ethernet ports in the house which use Cat5e cables). If there's a sizable difference, maybe my wife will let me get that hub rewired with Cat 7....
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah cables. Having good quality cables helps. 

Do you know the CAT thats in the walls? 

Message 10 of 12
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Cat 5e
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Eeeks, ya, 5e was good up to about 10 years ago. Its not recommended to mixed CAT versions, espeically with older versions of CAT#. I just pulled down 1 last 5e I had forgot about today. All CAT6 now for me. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7