Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK853 wired connection issues

Ven2020
Guide

Orbi RBK853 wired connection issues

I got the latest RBK853 Orbi system in the house with one router and four satellites. It came with two satellites originally and I added two additional satellites. The Wireless portion works fine but the wired portion is a big problem. I have two laptops connected by ethernet cables directly wired to the back of the ROUTER and they keep loosing internet connection. I tried resetting the modem, router, reinstalling drivers for the nerwork adapters of the laptops, even doing a factory reset and fresh installation of the windows 10 on both laptops, updating the firware version of the router to 3.2.10.11_1.2.12 and also the satellites to the latest FW. I did factory reset of the router and reinstalled the whole system again but the laptops keep losing the connection often. This is for the wired connections directly to the router.

I am with Comcast, 1GBPS speed, ARRIS SB8200 cable modem.

Wireless seems to be fine without any disconnection. Called tech support multple times but no resolution to the issue. Never heard wired connections loosing internet. The firware got auto updated within a week of purchasing the system. So, it is hard to tell if the new FW is causing the issue.

Anyone having the same problem? Please advise. Thanks.

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK853 wired connection issues

Glad it's working good. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 24

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the ethernet adapters in these laptops? 

Besure the drivers are up to date for the adapters used in these laptops?

Swap LAN cables out between the laptops and the RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Do other wired devices exhibit the same problem or is it just these two laptops? 

Message 2 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

One laptop has Realtek 2.5 Gigabit ethernet and other one has Killer E2500 gigabit ethernet adapter. Both laptops are bought in 2018 with Windows 10, 64-bit OS. I formatted both laptops, installed Windows fresh copy, updated ethernet drivers to the latest version released in 2020.

I spent close to $2000 to upgrade cable modem, increase the Comcast speed to 1 GBPS, upgraded all ethernet cables to CAT6, then purchased this Orbi RBK853 mesh system and added two additional satellites, bringing it to 4 satellites total.

The problem comes with WIRED connections to the ROUTER. I have a printer connected wired to one of the satellites and it stays connected. The problem seems to be with the router.

Also, sometimes it shows 6 or 7 satellites in the system instead of 4 whenever I have to reboot the cable modem/router. Then I have to login to the Orbi web interface and remove those additional satellites under "attached devices". These additional satellites are nothing but the devices that are connected to the Orbi system, turning themselves into satellites. Attaching screen shots here. This model cannot have more than 4 satellites. 

Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do other devices connected to the RBR experience the same thing as the laptops or only just the laptops? 

Message 4 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

I am with Comcast but it my own cable modem, model # Arris SB8200. I bought this cable modem recently from Bestbuy, just couple of days before buying the Orbi system RBK853.

The router has four ports in the back. I have a Netgear switch (also bought recently) and a home security system and two laptops connected. The other two devices doesn't seem to loose the connection. I even tried without Netgear switch and home security system, with just two laptops connected to the router but still they loose connections.

Yesterday, everything was fine and one of these laptops lost the connection while I am working on something. Then I tried every possible way to fix the problem including rebooting the modem, router, removing Netgear switch, home security system, then reinstalled Windows 10 on the laptop with updated ethernet adpater drivers. I got the connection back but the other laptop that is also wired to the router lost the connection. Since then, none of these two laptops have a proper wired connection. I switch to wireless and they connect.

I have been with Netgear for close to 20 years but never saw problem with WIRED connections to a router. This is the third time I had this problem with this Orbi system within the last one month. 

Message 5 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

Tech support was unable to fix the problem, even after spending several hours over the phone each time.

When they work, they are very good but it is a very big hassle to fix them if there is a problem.

Right now, two problems

1) Wired connections with the router loosing connections

2) Laptops are turning themselves into satellites sometimes and need to be removed as satellites in the Orbi web interface login 

Message 6 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

@Ven2020 wrote:

Tech support was unable to fix the problem, even after spending several hours over the phone each time.

When they work, they are very good but it is a very big hassle to fix them if there is a problem.

Right now, two problems

1) Wired connections with the router loosing connections 

If other wired devices don't loose connection and only these two do, something with these two laptops needs to be looked at. 

2) Laptops are turning themselves into satellites sometimes and need to be removed as satellites in the Orbi web interface login 

Laptops dont become satellites. They can connect thru the RBS. 

Please attach a screen captures of this to a post for review of what your seeing. What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and just leave the RBR on? 

So you have have a total of 6 RBS850s connected? 

Besure the wifi radios are disabled on the laptops as well. 

You might try updating FW to v11.2...

Message 7 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

I thought the same with those two laptops. So I reformatted them and did a fresh installation of Windows 10 and updated the ethernet drivers as well. So, it extremely unlikely the laptops are the problem.

Coming to my issue about sateliites, this RBK853 Orbi model can have a maximum of 4 satellites only, per Netgear tech support. So, I have 4 satellites showing in the login web interface and also on the Orbi mobile app most of the time. Once in a while, it shows more than 4 satellites. In the router web login page, under "attached devices", in the Satellites section, it shows more than 4  satellites with the device name and mac id same as these laptops. There is a remove button next to these additional satellites and I click remove and refresh the "attached devices" page. Then it goes back to 4 satellies.

I have a screen shot of the satellites issue from my mobile app. I am not sure how to paste it here. As for the screen shot of the web login interface, I removed the additional satellites this morning twice and I will take a screen shot when it shows the next time.

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try this. 

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK852-Firmware-Update-V3-2-11-2-1-2-13/m-p/1904045/highlig...

Unpack the FW from the .zip files. Besure to do this first.

Turn OFF ALL other devices accept for the 1 wired PC. 

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11(Windows), Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Turn OFF ALL RBS after they have synced.

Go in and connect the two laptops to the RBR only. Check the RBRs web page to make sure that the RBS show and disconnected and the Laptops appear as connected devices. 

Check the orbi app as well. RBS should not appear in the app. 

Then turn ON just 1 RBS. Let it come to ready. Check the status on the RBRs web page and Orbi app. 

Keep turning on 1 more RBS and checking the RBRs web page and Orbi App while the laptops are connected as you graduate adding RBS to the system.

Let us know what you find if anything changes. 

After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again.

Message 9 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the link you posted is for RBK852 which is V3.2.11.2_1.2.13

I have RBK853 and it is V3.2.10.11_1.2.12 and I have it already

https://kb.netgear.com/000061769/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-10-11

Also, the two laptops connect wireless just fine. I am suspecting something to do with the ethernet ports in the back of the router.

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

v11.2 is more corrent then v10.11. The link is correct that I inlcuded...

Message 11 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

I will update the FW, follow the steps you posted, see how it works and post my feedback here. Thanks.

Message 12 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

I tried it but it did not solve the problem. I just lost the wired connection to one of the laptops again, while doing my work on it. Just like that, while working for hours since morning.

I tried resetting the IPconfig, reset the network adapter, reinstalled the drivers for the network adapter, power cycled the modem and this router but it didn't work. The same laptop connects wireless. 

Netgear sent me a replacement router. I will install it later today and see if it resolves the issue.

If it is not for the lost wired connection every few days, this system is the best I have ever seen in the market.

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the new system will fix the problem. Let us know. 

Message 14 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

That didn't solve the problem. It's a mess. I tried resetting router, all four satellites to factory settings and took hours to install everything in order and at the end of installation, I see five satellites instead of four and also the wired connections doesn't work. I even tried to hook different laptops to the wired connections and it doesn't work. Looks like the ports in the back of the router have some issues, either with the firware or hardware.

I uploaded a screen shot of the Orbi web interface login showing the satellites here.

Message 15 of 24
Mikey94025
Hero

I would focus on your wired internet disconnection issue and ignore what the Orbi app or website displays for connected devices.  Does the new router solve your wired disconnects?

There have been other reports of the misleading or erroneous connected devices listing, but these are display issues that do not affect the wired and wireless internet operation.  Solve the latter first, then worry about display issues.

Message 16 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

I wouldn't worry much about display issues with satellites but my main focus is on wired connections to the router. Nothing seems to be working, even after changing the router, tried with different laptops. I am thinking of returning this product. 

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you connect the RBS 1 at a time to the RBR wirelessly. Do they connect Ok? If 1 RBS connects wirelessly, connect 1 RBS via ethernet to see if it connects correctly with the RBR. It should. I would use this process to set up the RBS to the RBR, using 1 at a time method. 

Do you have the RBS connected with a switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

@Ven2020 wrote:

I wouldn't worry much about display issues with satellites but my main focus is on wired connections to the router. Nothing seems to be working, even after changing the router, tried with different laptops. I am thinking of returning this product. 

Message 18 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

I think I found the culprit. It could be the Netgear ethernet switch GS-605 that is connected wired to one of the four ports on the back of the router.

I took it off, power cycled the modem, router and now the wired connections to the router are working fine since morning. I added this switch when I bought the Orbi system. So I will give it couple of days time before confirming it for sure.

I don't know if this model switch is defective or if ethernet switches are prone to mess with the connections.

Message 19 of 24
jmdll0518
Aspirant

I have the RBR850 and RBS850.  The same thing happenns to me.  There is a new firmware on the Netgear site, 3.11.  I had to manually load it to my desktop and then upload from there.  The issue is still there.  The Router will lose connection and then connect again multiple times a day.

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post in your opening thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Fustration-Galore/m-p/1916251/highlight/false#M3814

Thank you

@Ven2020 wrote:

I think I found the culprit. It could be the Netgear ethernet switch GS-605 that is connected wired to one of the four ports on the back of the router.

I took it off, power cycled the modem, router and now the wired connections to the router are working fine since morning. I added this switch when I bought the Orbi system. So I will give it couple of days time before confirming it for sure.

I don't know if this model switch is defective or if ethernet switches are prone to mess with the connections.

Message 21 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

Sure will do that after I giving enough time for the system to show it is stable. It was hassle free all day today, after I removed the Netgear ethernet switch.

Message 22 of 24
Ven2020
Guide

My system seems to be working fine now, after I removed the ethernet switch from the router port. I also received a FW update, applied it and everything seems fine. 

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working good. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7