Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 853 in AP Mode and Wired Backhaul. Satellites Aren't Detected Through a Switch

ToxicMan
Tutor

Orbi RBR 853 in AP Mode and Wired Backhaul. Satellites Aren't Detected Through a Switch

Read the entire thread and got some great tips.  Now I can safely request an RMA for my brand new RBR853. 

The RBS850s will not appear as connected satellites when they are attached through a switch.  I found this article that clearly says they should be fine, and the RBS 850 is listed as a supported client for the config.

Here is the link to connect a wired backhaul according to approved NetGear Technical docs

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

I replaced an existing RBK53 setup and cabled it exactly in its place with no changes.

Setup:

Unifi Managed Switches

Frontier FIOS with G1100 Router

Scenario 1 (Existing RBK53 Cabling Setup:
* Orbi Router AP Mode (WAN port) -> Unifi Switch -> G1100 Router LAN port
* Orbi Satellite (LAN port) -> Unifi Switch

Outcome:
- Satellites are not listed in "attached devices" => no mesh;

Read some threads, tried some stuff. Had this outcome

Scenario 2:
* Orbi Router AP Mode (WAN port) -> Unifi Switch -> G1100 Router LAN port
* Orbi Satellite (LAN port) -> Orbi Router AP Mode (LAN port)
Outcome:
+ Satellite is listed in "attached devices" => mesh;

Scenario 3:
Setup:
* Orbi Router (LAN port) -> Unifi Switch -> G1100 Router LAN port
* Orbi Satellite (LAN port) -> Unifi Switch
+ Satellite is listed in "attached devices" => mesh;
- No internet detected within Orbi RBR UI. 

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 853 in AP Mode and Wired Backhaul. Satellites Aren't Detected Through a Switch

What is the model# of these switches?

IF there managed, please disable all IGMP and green ethernet protocols on these switches. There are known problems with managed switches with Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 10
ToxicMan
Tutor

No EEE on the switches and no IGMP either.

I have a three floor home with the top and middle floor ethernet runs terminating into a 

UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W
Version 4.3.13.11253
Board Revision 8

These two Unifi switches then uplink to my tech closet on the ground floor where I have a

Model UniFi Switch Lite 16 POE
Version 5.6.0.11463
Board Revision 8

The tech closet has my ONT and G1100 router.  
The G1100 LAN side is cabled to the Unifi Lite 16.

I replaced an RBK53 setup with the RBR850 setup in exact same topology.  There has been no change to the network architecture at all.  I had no problems with the RBR50 seeing it's two satellite RBS50s at each floor.  The MESH worked well.

I was expecting the replacement to go smoothly and configured the RBR850 in AP mode just like my RBR50.  All the satellites were detected when on the bench pre deployment.  of course, they were not wired backhaul at that time.  When I deployed in place of the RBK53 system, that's when the problems started.  No detection of the satellites and no MESH network.  

Unfortunately I cant give a dedicated backhaul without going through the switch fabic.  

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 

So if you take one RBS and directly connect it to the back of the RBR with out a switch in between. Does the RBS connect and report a wried status on the RBRs web page? 

I do remember seeing a problem with the status reporting incorrectly when in AP mode when ethernet connected. I'll have to check my notes on this. 

Message 4 of 10
ToxicMan
Tutor

Yes it does.  But Connected ORBI is blank. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, 

So if you take one RBS and directly connect it to the back of the RBR with out a switch in between. Does the RBS connect and report a wried status on the RBRs web page? 

I do remember seeing a problem with the status reporting incorrectly when in AP mode when ethernet connected. I'll have to check my notes on this. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok So direct connect works. Connected Orbi may populate later. 

What FW version are you usng? I presume v15.25? 

There was a problem with prior versions of FW having problems with RBS connected to switches would not report correctly as wired only when the RBR was in AP mode..Something I reported earlier this year. I believe v15.25 fixed this...

One thing you can try, even though you have a another router online. Configure the RBR for router node. You can disconnect the other host router from the RBR temporarily while you try this. Once configured for router mode on the RBR, Connect the other switches to the back of the RBR, then connect the RBS to these switches, to see if the status appears correctly. 

Message 6 of 10
ToxicMan
Tutor

Latest firmware.  Also down rev'd n-1, n-2, n-3.  Made no diff.  

Not going to change over to Router mode, that's not my config and I've got no more time to troubleshoot for NG.  Not at this price point.  Waiting for RMA from them.  

Will consider jumping back in the pool when they're at n+1 on this AX line perhaps.

Thanks for the assist.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Might ask NG for a beta version of FW as well. There maybe something more recent then v15.25. 

Thought this maybe just a faulty RBR/RBS that needs replacing. Trust me, I have tested ethernet connections with mine. Has been working well with wired RBS. Thought I don't use your branded switches. HP ProCurve here. 

Keep in contact with NG support. 

Message 8 of 10
ToxicMan
Tutor

Update:  Returned the Orbi853.  Just could not get wired backhaul to work with my switches and no fix in sight.  wasn't worth the expense.  I'm sure it will get fixed eventually, and I'm happy to keep trying with NG but not on my nickle... 

I put back my RBK53 system and it works perfectly with wired backhaul on my switches.  So I know it can be done.  But NG just hasn't gotten the firmware up to a release level that works.  

I'll try again with these are N-1 and $500 or less.  

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry about that. NG released v32 FW which has my Orbi AX system working in AP mode. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7