Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 bug with firmware V3.2.16.22

amsimmons
Follower

Orbi RBR750 bug with firmware V3.2.16.22

I'm not sure how to get this to the right people (Netgear doesn't make it easy to contact them), but there is a major issue with the firmware version that was recently released and automatically downloaded/installed on my router.  After the firmware update, we began losing internet about once every two hours.  Looking at my DHCP status for my ISP, the lease time is 2 hours and it appears the internet goes down when the lease needs to be renewed.  This is usually resolved by either 1) unplug the ethernet cable to the modem, then reconnecting it, 2) going into the user interface and renewing the DHCP lease, or 3) rebooting the router.

I've confirmed that the firmware is the issue by re-loading a previous version of the firmware V3.2.15.32_1.3.25_HOTFIX with no issues with the DHCP lease renewal.  I'm also going to try manually loading V3.2.16.6, which was just made available today for download.  This is aggrevating because the testing obviously failed to catch this issue before release and paying over $500 for this system only grants me 90 days of tech support.

Can anyone tell me where I can submit bugs for firmware updates?

Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 bug with firmware V3.2.16.22

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? If not, power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on while you reset the RBR. Then walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com

Message 2 of 24
Mstrbig
Master

I have been running firmware V3.2.16.22 since it was pushed to my RBK753 system. I also have it updated on several other RBK753 systems. I can say with confidence, your issue is not due to a bug with the firmware, as all my systems have been running flawlessly, with over 20 connected devices. 

After you updated your satellites and router to firmware V3.2.16.22, did you reboot your system? Did you check your settings to verify the update didn't change any of them? 

Also you may want to try a couple of IP reservation settings for your satellites, so they don't change if there is a reboot or power failure. 

Message 3 of 24

I also had issues with connectivity and slower speeds when updating. Rolling back to V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 fixed my issues. 

Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@amsimmons wrote:

I'm not sure how to get this to the right people (Netgear doesn't make it easy to contact them), but there is a major issue with the firmware version that was recently released and automatically downloaded/installed on my router.  After the firmware update, we began losing internet about once every two hours.  Looking at my DHCP status for my ISP, the lease time is 2 hours and it appears the internet goes down when the lease needs to be renewed.  This is usually resolved by either 1) unplug the ethernet cable to the modem, then reconnecting it, 2) going into the user interface and renewing the DHCP lease, or 3) rebooting the router.

I've confirmed that the firmware is the issue by re-loading a previous version of the firmware V3.2.15.32_1.3.25_HOTFIX with no issues with the DHCP lease renewal.  I'm also going to try manually loading V3.2.16.6, which was just made available today for download.  This is aggrevating because the testing obviously failed to catch this issue before release and paying over $500 for this system only grants me 90 days of tech support.

Message 6 of 24
Mstrbig
Master

@amsimmons wrote:

You must have another issue, as there is no bug in the latest firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 that I have seen. We have this new firmware running on over 2 dozen RBK753S systems, with no issues whatsoever. It is a very stable firmware. 

It would help if you could answer @FURRYe38 's questions, so a solution miht be found.

Message 7 of 24
paul_carter1
Aspirant

Hi All,

Please consider I am a novice in your responses.

I seem to be having the same problem.  I purchased the below for a Christmas present...

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status

RouterRBR850RBR850V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-1V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-2V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available

Firmware Version: V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

I have switched my HUB3.0 from Router to Modem mode, followed the basic setup and then setup reserved IPs for the two satilites.

I did a firmware update when I first set the system up 26.12.2020 (I do not recall the version but I assume the latest).

I had it all working for a few days, and amazed by the coverage and speeds it is providing to the full house.

HOWEVER...

In the last day or two, the router has been disconnecting from the internet every couple of hours.

All devices remain connected to the router/satilites but the internet connection is lost.

To mitigate, I have been resetting the Virgin Hub3 Modem and the RBR850.

At this point I am not sure the speeds are worth it if the stability is not there.

Is there any update on the solution?  Is there a hotfix coming to resolve this?

Can you please advise how to rolled back to V3.2.16.6_1.4.4?  I see that @intergeek14 mentioned it fixed the issue.

I assume it is the Manual Update option from the GUI but where do I get the package?

I found the below link but want to be sure before I install anything...

https://kb.netgear.com/000062217/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-16-6

RBR850 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBR850-V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.zip

RBS850 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBS850-V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.zip

Best Regards,

Paul Carter

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Armor enabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update to v22? 

@paul_carter1 wrote:

Hi All,

Please consider I am a novice in your responses.

I seem to be having the same problem.  I purchased the below for a Christmas present...

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status

RouterRBR850RBR850V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-1V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-2V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available

Firmware Version: V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

I have switched my HUB3.0 from Router to Modem mode, followed the basic setup and then setup reserved IPs for the two satilites.

I did a firmware update when I first set the system up 26.12.2020 (I do not recall the version but I assume the latest).

I had it all working for a few days, and amazed by the coverage and speeds it is providing to the full house.

HOWEVER...

In the last day or two, the router has been disconnecting from the internet every couple of hours.

All devices remain connected to the router/satilites but the internet connection is lost.

To mitigate, I have been resetting the Virgin Hub3 Modem and the RBR850.

At this point I am not sure the speeds are worth it if the stability is not there.

Is there any update on the solution?  Is there a hotfix coming to resolve this?

Can you please advise how to rolled back to V3.2.16.6_1.4.4?  I see that @intergeek14 mentioned it fixed the issue.

I assume it is the Manual Update option from the GUI but where do I get the package?

I found the below link but want to be sure before I install anything...

https://kb.netgear.com/000062217/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-16-6

RBR850 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBR850-V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.zip

RBS850 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBS850-V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.zip

Best Regards,

Paul Carter

Message 9 of 24
paul_carter1
Aspirant

Size of home/distance between routers and satellites

I will measure today but I do not see any connection issues between the router and satellites.

The satellites and many wifi devices remain connected bit without Internet.

I have attached pictures for reference at the bottom.

Is Armor enabled?

No, it never has been.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update to v22?

I assume you mean with the "With a sharp pen or paper clip, press down the Restore Factory Settings button"?

Would this not take the System back to the firmware it was sold with?

Additional comment

I tried installing V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 on all three devices last night. It all connected but it was disconnected again by this morning.

Screenshot_20210103-080643_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210103-074414_Orbi.jpg

Best Regards,

Paul Carter

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

@paul_carter1 wrote:

I assume you mean with the "With a sharp pen or paper clip, press down the Restore Factory Settings button"?

Would this not take the System back to the firmware it was sold with? NO.

Message 11 of 24
paul_carter1
Aspirant

After rolling back to V3.2.16.6_1.4.4, the connection has stayed up about a week (connected since 03/01/2021 08:50 GMT), and is still connected.

I think there may be an issue in the latest firmware.
Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Di you perform a factory reset and setup from scratch when you had v22 loaded? 

Message 13 of 24
Rhmorgan67
Guide

There is ABSOLUTELY an issue with this firmware update. I'm rolling back too. Every two hours like clockwork my router times out. My ISP says they aren't getting a reply back from the router for lease renewal.

Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you perform a factory reset and setup from scratch when you had v22 loaded? 

Message 15 of 24
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@paul_carter1 wrote:

Would this not take the System back to the firmware it was sold with? NO.

No... it does not roll back to original firmware.  What it does do is clean up any orphaned code and/or configs that may have been left from previous versions.  Highly recommended.

Message 16 of 24
Rhmorgan67
Guide

I have now done that. Current lease expires in 28 minutes... I'll let you know if it stops again or keeps on rolling... I did the full paperclip, start from scratch set-up, so hopefully it will be successful.

Message 17 of 24
Rhmorgan67
Guide

It dropped again. I even had the ISP on the other line right when the lease renewed and everything looked perfect on their end... 

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading to v6 FW.

@Rhmorgan67 wrote:

It dropped again. I even had the ISP on the other line right when the lease renewed and everything looked perfect on their end... 

Message 19 of 24
Rhmorgan67
Guide

I am in Spanish Fork, Utah on the Spanish Fork Community Network. I have a fiber connection. The device says it's a Fiber Media Converter, Model : SFCN100W-GE-20-T (Transmitter)

Serial Number: S/N - A - 201608251361. Manufacturer: Spanish Fork Community Network
I have a hard time believing the city actually manufacturs its own media converter, but that's what it says... I did a manual download to my satellite first and then to the router with older version 3.2.16.6-1.4.4  I will know in about 2 hours if that improves the situation...

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. 

Message 21 of 24
Rhmorgan67
Guide

It worked! I manually went back to the previous firmware update and now when the two hour lease expires, it's immediately renewed the very next second ... so - I stay connected to the internet... Not sure what the underlying issue is, but it's definitely something with the new firmware update. I know some people aren't having problems, but it appears other combinations of equipment do.

Message 22 of 24
Rhmorgan67
Guide

Just to follow-up. RBR850 and RBS850... It's now 5:40am and everything is still working just fine. I viewed the log and the lease renewed every two hours throughout the night. I installed the older firmware version 3.2.16.6_1.4.4 and am now avoiding installing 3.2.16.22_1.4.9  Maybe I'll wait to install a new firmware until the next new version. I'm not a tech guy, but somehow I pulled this off! 

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and let them know what your seeng with the new FW. 

Thanks for letting us know your progress. 

@Rhmorgan67 wrote:

Just to follow-up. RBR850 and RBS850... It's now 5:40am and everything is still working just fine. I viewed the log and the lease renewed every two hours throughout the night. I installed the older firmware version 3.2.16.6_1.4.4 and am now avoiding installing 3.2.16.22_1.4.9  Maybe I'll wait to install a new firmware until the next new version. I'm not a tech guy, but somehow I pulled this off! 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7