Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 - webpages and iPhone Apps don't load

brianguy
Star

Orbi RBR750 - webpages and iPhone Apps don't load

I've been reading through several posts in this forum around this same issue, and have not had any luck fixing our at home network.

We have the Orbi RBR750, and have the Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. Orbi Firmware Version V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.

There are two sepearte issues:
1. while on our iphone and connected to the orbi wifi, some apps and some webpages just wont load. the odd thing is that sometimes the same webpages/apps that dont load, will load just fine at other times.

2. while working from our windows laptop, the connection works perfect for the most part, however at times when you navigate to a new webpage, for a couple seconds you will get a "This site can't be reached", "example.com's server IP address could not be reached". It will automatically go to the webpage after a couple of seconds.

I'm not a very technical person, so if there is more information that might be helpful to troubleshoot, please advise.

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

How was your system updated to v16.6? Auto update or manual update thru the RBRs web page or Orbi app? 

Has a full power OFF of the Orbi system and modem for 1 minute then back ON been performed? 

Is the RBR connected to the CM modems #1 WAN port and is LAG disable on the CM modem? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Turn OFF all RBS and test these two problems with just the RBR running alone...same thing still happen? 

Try chaning CTS values to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Is Armor enabled on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 17
brianguy
Star

How was your system updated to v16.6? Auto update or manual update thru the RBRs web page or Orbi app? 

>> A: it was an auto update through the app

Has a full power OFF of the Orbi system and modem for 1 minute then back ON been performed? 

>> A: yes, several times. I also performed a couple resets of the Orbi router, and a couple of resets of our modem.

Is the RBR connected to the CM modems #1 WAN port and is LAG disable on the CM modem? 

>> A: yes its connected to the CM modems #1 WAN prot and LAG is disabled on the CM modem.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

>> A: 2400 sq feet

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

>> A: Yes they are all 30 feet or more.  The main router and 1 satellite is on the lower level, and one satellite on the upper level

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

>> A: have not yet attempted this but will do today.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

>> A: yes, we live in a major city, so there are anywhere between 10-20 at a time.

Turn OFF all RBS and test these two problems with just the RBR running alone...same thing still happen? 

Try chaning CTS values to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Is Armor enabled on the RBR? 

>> Q: Where can this be found?

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, If you updated thru the Orbi app, at somepoint you might try to reload FW using a wired PC and web browser thru the RBRs web page.

IF you have lots of wifi neighbors near by, you can try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. This helps with reducing the over all wifi foot print and interferience of that foot print with nieghboring wifi signals...

Armor is seen on the Orbi app and presented as a option to enabled when first option after doing a reset on the RBR and walking thru the setup wizard...

Message 4 of 17
brianguy
Star

I will add those two suggestions to my list of items to investigate tonight.

As for Armor, yes it does appear to be activated.  

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Seen odd problems steming from the use of Armor. Try this, disable Armor in the app. Once the app reports it disabled. Power cycle the RBR then test for these problems. If your still seeing problems, I recommend a factory reset of the RBR and setup from scratch, this time do NOT enable Armor. 

Message 6 of 17
brianguy
Star

I've disabled Armor and that didnt seem to resolve the issue. This included the hard reset as well. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you turned OFF the RBS and just use the RBR alone? 

Message 8 of 17
brianguy
Star

I will try turning off the RBS next.

I did however test this point below, and it did not seem to work.

> Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 17
brianguy
Star

Update from my end.. 

Currently I have Armor disabled, and I changed the CTS values to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.  All other settings I have reverted.

The two issues described above with Apps & webpages loading on the iPhone and the issues with windows laptop connection issue didnt seem as to trigger as much or at all.  I'm going to keep this setting in place for today and continue to monitor.  

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us now how it goes...

Message 12 of 17
brianguy
Star

Over the last couple of days, the two issues have decreased by about 75%, which is great.  I feel like some of the steps done did actually help.  Any other suggestions to perfect this issue?

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Then turn on 1 RBS and test again...

Message 14 of 17
brianguy
Star

Ok just tried disconnecting the satellites and that didn’t seem to help. Initial sense was that it actually make it worse.
Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR power out put levels at 100% or lower? 

You might try to reload FW using a wired PC and web browser thru the RBRs web page. Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

If this still doesn't seem to help any, I would open up a support ticket with NG and check on an RMA...

Message 16 of 17
brianguy
Star

Yes, they are both 100%.

I will attempt the hard resent along with the hardwire install of the FM this weekend. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7