Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 (AX) not visible to some devices

MoVancouver
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 (AX) not visible to some devices

Model is RBK852 (AX6000) - not available in the model dropdown above.

Installed the new Orbi today using the mobile app (replaced a DLInk wifi router).  All went well, until I noticed one laptop cannot see the SSID, and the other can see it, but fails to connect.

I have a cable modem supplied by the ISP, which is hardwired into the Orbi's Internet port.

I spent 3 hours on the phone, and the call eventually dropped while I was waiting for the 3rd technician (this model apparently needs specialized technicians).

I have used the support site to track my Case and add details, but no response.  Would appreciate some help.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 (AX) not visible to some devices

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the mfr and model # of the wifi adapter in this laptop?

Be sure the wifi adapter drivers are updated from the adapters mfrs web site. 

Message 2 of 12
MoVancouver
Aspirant

Since the Orbi was installed only yesterday, the firware was updated (v3.2.16.6)

The ISP (Shaw)'s modem is Hitron CGNM-2250.

The laptop (Lenovo G50-80) wifi adapter is Intel Dual band wirelss - AC3160.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the modem operating in? Router or Modem only. 

Be sure your Intel adapter drivers are up to date from there web site. 

Message 4 of 12
MoVancouver
Aspirant

After many hours of troubleshooting, here's the deal..

One laptop needed to have its wifi network adapter uninstalled (through Device Manager). A subsequent reboot resolved the issue.

The other laptop's wifi is just not capable of recognizing AX routers.  This was confirmed by turning off the AX setting in the router (Netgear did eventually call back).  Rather than not take advantage of AX (eventually), I'll just not use this laptop at home.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

AX mode disable was going to be my last resort suggestion. 

Try changing CTS to 2347 to see as well. 

Suggestion for the one laptop that doesn't see the SSID, disable it's internal wifi adapter and install an updated AC or AX supporting USB wifi adapter on the laptop. NGs I think has one. I know that D-Links DWA-192 works with orbi AX and it's a AC class adapter and works fine. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 12
MoVancouver
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Where would I change the CTS setting?  I have accessed the orbilogin.com interface (which I found out about only when talking to the NG tech) but didn't notice it there.

As for the newer wifi adapter, I believe you are suggesting buying an external one that connects to the USB port, correct?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@MoVancouver wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

Where would I change the CTS setting?  I have accessed the orbilogin.com interface (which I found out about only when talking to the NG tech) but didn't notice it there. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

As for the newer wifi adapter, I believe you are suggesting buying an external one that connects to the USB port, correct? Yes.

Message 8 of 12
MoVancouver
Aspirant

Thanks.  Unfortunately, now I have found that the biggest issue is my kid's 2017 MacBook Pro has intermittent issues.  The wifi needs to be turned off/on for resuming the connection.  The saga continues.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What is the distance between the mac book pro and the RBR and RBS? 

I'm seeing a similar issue with my Mac Book Pro 2018 when I'm mostly inbetween the RBR and RBS. Seems like the Mac Book can't decide to connect to the RBS in the basement or the RBR...So it just stops and disconnects from any wifi.

Message 10 of 12
MoVancouver
Aspirant

I found your point really interesting as the MacBook happened to be in-between the router and satellite.  I moved the satellite to just below (lower floor) the MacBook, but this didn't seem to help (still need to turn wifi off/on on the MacBook).  I wonder if there's a way to force a device to always connect ot the router and not the satellite?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open a support ticket on this and let NG know what your seeing. You can include this thread link as well.

I found once I turned off my RBS, the mac book stayed connected to the RBR. 

This only happens with the Orbi AX. If I swap in my Orbi AC system, the MAC doesn't do this. Smiley Embarassed

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7