Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850/RBS850, AP Mode ethernet backhaul

pulex2000
Follower

Orbi RBR850/RBS850, AP Mode ethernet backhaul

Hi Everyone,

I just came of a 1hr40mins support call with Netgear. Although the agent tried to be really helpful, he could by no means fix my problem.

I want to run ORBI RBR850 and 2xRBS850 in AP Mode. All of the devices are on a wired LAN, actually a LAN that is using patch-panels and HP Gigabit Switches.

The RBR850 does not sync with the RBS850's at all. Actually, all of the devices receive IP Addresses from the central DHCP, they also have Internet connectivity. The RBR850 spans two WLAN, WPS protected (correct), also another one of the Satellites does (correct). The last Satellite shows *open* WLAN under the same SSID as the others (wrong!).

The ORBI App shows the Satellites as "magenta", the Browser Interface of the RBR850 shows the Satellites as "disconnected", but only after I re-configured it back to Router-Mode. What a f***-up! This should be the most simplistic thing, this configuration should do.

Any ideas out there?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850/RBS850, AP Mode ethernet backhaul

If the question is posted in the community forum for the AX product, someone might have a suggestion:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

My (limited) understanding is that the Orbi router expects satellites to connect through the Orbi LAN ports, not the WAN port.

With all Orbi units connected directly to the LAN, they will all ask for (and get) IP assignments using DHCP.

The most obvious way to accomplish this is to connect the Orbi directly to the ISP modem (not through the switch. through the patch panel, sure.  just not through the switch) and then connect one LAN port on the router to the switch.

If a direct connection is impossible and depending on which specific model of HP switch this is, it might be possible to use port based VLANs to separate the WAN/LAN traffic.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Be sure your RBS are connected like the following if you use LAN switches:
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

It's recommended to first connect the RBS vis wireless to the RBR, then after they are synce wirelessly, connect the RBS via ethernet. 

@pulex2000 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just came of a 1hr40mins support call with Netgear. Although the agent tried to be really helpful, he could by no means fix my problem.

I want to run ORBI RBR850 and 2xRBS850 in AP Mode. All of the devices are on a wired LAN, actually a LAN that is using patch-panels and HP Gigabit Switches.

The RBR850 does not sync with the RBS850's at all. Actually, all of the devices receive IP Addresses from the central DHCP, they also have Internet connectivity. The RBR850 spans two WLAN, WPS protected (correct), also another one of the Satellites does (correct). The last Satellite shows *open* WLAN under the same SSID as the others (wrong!).

The ORBI App shows the Satellites as "magenta", the Browser Interface of the RBR850 shows the Satellites as "disconnected", but only after I re-configured it back to Router-Mode. What a f***-up! This should be the most simplistic thing, this configuration should do.

Any ideas out there?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

@pulex2000 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Any ideas out there?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7