Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 Sattelite disconnects and slow

rpolly30
Guide

Orbi RBR850 Sattelite disconnects and slow

I purchased the Orbi two weeks ago. The main unit is set up in the living room and the sattelite is about 70 feet away from it. I am getting great speeds when everything works. The backhaul says "good"
I have a computer and xbox hardwired in to the satellite.
A few times a day the satellite will either complete crash or will come to a complete slowdown (25 mpbs). If I reboot it comes back on and functions fine until the next crash.

Things I have tried:
Moved Sattelite around
Channels are set to 6 (2.5) and 48 (5)
20/40 coexistence unchecked
Enable WMM Checked
CTS/RTS threshold set to 2000 on both

What other things should I try?
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 Sattelite disconnects and slow

Try moving it closer and/or laterally. There's a minimum distance (30ft) but 70ft could be a bit far depending on whats within your walls.

Also try moving it laterally as if hvac or other materials in the wall could be causing interference. 

Message 2 of 15
rpolly30
Guide

Would the distance or location cause the randomness of the drops? It maintains a strong connection with good speed until it crashes.
Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Potentially. Its worth trying. I don't have the Orbi AX series so @FURRYe38 or @CrimpOn might have some better experience with them for tips 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@rpolly30 wrote:
I purchased the Orbi two weeks ago. The main unit is set up in the living room and the sattelite is about 70 feet away from it. I am getting great speeds when everything works. The backhaul says "good"
I have a computer and xbox hardwired in to the satellite.
A few times a day the satellite will either complete crash or will come to a complete slowdown (25 mpbs). If I reboot it comes back on and functions fine until the next crash.

Things I have tried:
Moved Sattelite around
Channels are set to 6 (2.5) and 48 (5)
20/40 coexistence unchecked
Enable WMM Checked
CTS/RTS threshold set to 2000 on both

What other things should I try?

Message 5 of 15
rpolly30
Guide

Firmware:

3.2.15.25_1.3.15

It is connected to an Aris TM1602

I am on channel 6 for 2.4 and channel 48 for 5

I don't have circle, daisy chain, or fast roaming as an option. I did just change to short preamble from auto and I updated CTS and RTS to 2347 from 2000.

I will see what happens in the next 12 to 24 hours (usually it crashes every 30 minutes or so).

We have two neighbors nearby (our home is in between the two of them) and one across the street.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are your two neighbors using? 

Hopefully the CTS change will help you out. 

We'll get this thread moved to the Orbi AX Forum. 

Message 7 of 15
rpolly30
Guide

Okay. It looks like my neighbors are on channel 1 and 9.
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would manually set the RBR to 11. 

Message 9 of 15
rpolly30
Guide

I made all the changes and now it's worse. Used to drop every day or two now it's every hour. The connect is very strong when it is connected but this dropping is ridiculous. Really getting on our nerves. Amy other suggestions before I return it?
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try channel 6 and turn down the power out put to 75 or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 11 of 15
rpolly30
Guide

Changed power to 50 and even 25. Changed to channel 6.
Still the same problem. It is happening when my son is gaming. It just kicks him out and then slows to very slow. When we ping we see quite a bit of lag spikes. If we reboot the Sattelite it will work for awhile until it happens again. Updated to the new hotfix firmware. Still happening.

Beyond frustrated at the cost of this product and now apparently I am past the return window. I keep asking support to at least let me exchange it.
Not sure what else to try..any other tips?
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try a factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch since you updated FW. 

If this still continues, i would open a support ticket with NG support and get more help and information on this. Possible the RBS chould be bad. 

Message 13 of 15
rpolly30
Guide

Thx. I just did the full factory reset. It reverted back to the older firmware. Should I update all the settings back or keep everything default?
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try default setting first...

What version did you downgrade too? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation