Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 and RBS850 Frequently Disconnects/Disappears

Anubis12
Star

Orbi RBR850 and RBS850 Frequently Disconnects/Disappears

I've been dealing with RBR850 randomly disconnecting from the internet and/or wireless network dissapears. Likewise, the RBS850 suddenly disappears from the network as well along with the devices physically attached to it.  Ironically, the system was pretty stable since I've updated to the latest V3.2.11.2_1.2.13 firmware  (~2 months ago?).  Suddenly, at first, I the RBS850 disconnects/disappears/goes offline while the RBR850 was fine.  In the past week or so, I've been getting disconnects with both.  Sometimes, if left unattended, they would come back online themselves and other times I have to reboot the units to restore functionality.  Day by day, these disconnects have been geting more frequent (3-4 times daily). 

Obviously this behavior is super annoying and inconvenient.  I am starting to wonder if I have a defective unit.  But as I researched the problem, I've come accross others having the same issues, or at least I think these are the same issues.  From what I can gather, it's a firmware issue and not necessarily a hardware issue.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

To my question.  While I love the speed of the system, I am very disappointed by overall system stability.  Has Netgear fully acknowledged the issues and actively trying to address them with these firmware updates?  This is not yet clear to me.   If not, then I might be better served returning this system and get another system for my $700.  I have 10 days left before my return period runs out.  Hopefully I can try out this new firmware in the next few days so I can make a decision.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cable Modem: Netgear CM1200

Service Provider : xfinity Gigabit

Orbi mode: Router

Orbi settings:  Coexistence : off ; CTR/RTS : 2347

Firmware: V3.2.11.2_1.2.13

Switches: Trendnet 8-port gigabit directly connected to RBR850.  Switch feeds the rest of the wired network.

Message 1 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Is LAG enabled on the CM1200? 

Is the RBS wireless or wire connected to the RBR? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

You may want to update FW as well if nothing seems to work up to this point. 

Message 2 of 37
Anubis12
Star

Thank you for the response.

I don't think CM1200 has LAG.  I can only find LACP setting and that's disabled.

I do not know the distance between the RBR and RBS.  RBR is corner room second floor.  RBS is on first floor in the middle of the house (2100 sq ft).  Walls are sheetrock.  I believe distance is more than than 30.  Maybe 40-50 ft range.  Read that article you reference.  Interestingly, neither RBR or RBS show any colors.  LEDs are off.  I do believe they flash blue after reboots before turning off. 

Both 2.4 and 5.0 channels are set on auto.  I will try to change to specific channels.

IIRC, I factory reset when I updated to V3.2.11.2_1.2.13.  I would love to update to the latest version, but unfortunately it is not available to me via iphone app nor the web interface.  I am crossing my fingers they addressed disconnect issues with this firmware, but there is no official word Netgear even acknowledges a problem yet.

Thank you again for your help!  It's appreciated.

Message 3 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

LACP=LAG

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

One other has mentioned not being able to update to the latest version...Hmmm

Message 4 of 37
Anubis12
Star

LAG should be off correct?

When either RBR and RBS disconnect, there are no lights to signify a connection problem.  Both ring LEDs are off as if functioning normally.

Do you think the firmware update is a staged rollout?

Message 5 of 37
Anubis12
Star

Stand corrected on the wireless channels.

- 2.4 was set to auto....changed to channel 06

- 5.0 was set to 48.....should i change that or OK as is?

Message 6 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes LAG should be disabled. There are known issues on the CM1200 when LAG is enabled. 

Possible staged roll out or not available to all users yet. 

You can change the 5Ghz to something else and see if this changes anything...

ALL front LEDs when OFF mean normal operation. IF the RBR or RBS loose a connection, PINK will appear. 

What devices do you have connected to the system. 

Message 7 of 37
Anubis12
Star

Forgot to answer your question from earlier. At any given time, I can see about 5-6 other networks around me. 

Coincidentally, RBS850 just disappear as I am typing this. No lights whatsoever on the satellite. I find this strange. 

Hard wired connected to RBR:  Main PC, 2 NAS, multiple FireTVs, Nvidia Shield, Laptop and other audio/video equipment. 

Hard wired to RBS:  Ring alarm hub, Philips Hue hub

Ring alarm tells me when the network connection is interrupted. That’s how I know when RBS goes down. 

Message 8 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open a support ticket and contact NG support. Possible faulty RBS that needs replaced. Or take the system back and get another. 

I would ask NG support if they can get you the v15 version of FW to try out to see if this helps any. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@Blanca_O 

Message 9 of 37
Anubis12
Star

So I tried these things without any success:

- Exchanged my unit for another RBK852.  Same disconnects occurring.  That eliminates a hardware issue.

- Updated to the latest firmware on both RBR and RBS to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

- Set CTS/RTS for both 2.4 and 5.0 to 2347

- Set 2.4 Channel to 6

- Set 5.0 Channel to 36

- 2.4/5.0 Coexistence set to OFF

- RBS850 is about 40 feet away from RBR850 and on separate floors

Even after all of that, the wireless RBS850 STILL randomly disconnects from the network and needs power cycle to regain function.  When disconnected, the RBS show now lights (same as old unit).  This must be an inherent hardware problem with all these units which cannot be fixed via firmware.

Anyone still having random disconnects of the satellite even after latest firmware?

I really wish this system was more reliable/stable.  When it works, it's awesome, but these disconnects are unacceptable for high end $700 system.  I would NOT recommend this system to anyone 😞

Message 10 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Any other wifi signals from near by electronic devices by chance? 

Having two different systems exhibit the same problem, may point to a wifi environment or interference problem. 

I have mine in AP mode and have not seen this issue with mine using v15.25. Thought I having problems with a 3rd gen NEST controller on v15.25. Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 37
Anubis12
Star

I used Wi-Fi Scanner to view surrounding networks.  I can see about 40 or so other networks.  Not sure if that's real or not.  There are alot of "hidden networks".  I am guessing I should check the channels the other networks are using and trying to find one that least used for both 2.4 and 5.0.  Is there anything else I should be looking for and changing?

I must use mine in router mode.  But out of curiosity, why would router vs. AP minimize disconnects?  

Message 12 of 37
Mikey94025
Hero

@Anubis12 wrote:

Anyone still having random disconnects of the satellite even after latest firmware?

I really wish this system was more reliable/stable.  When it works, it's awesome, but these disconnects are unacceptable for high end $700 system.  I would NOT recommend this system to anyone 😞

I'm sorry you're experiencing these satellite disconnects.  I have 3 satellites wireless connected to my RBR and have not experienced any satellite disconnects as you describe, from the various firmware versions I've had since owning the Orbi AX systems since late March.  I run 6 Nest cameras that tell me if service is ever disconnected.  I've not had to do anything very special except the CTS/RTS=2347 change.  I've left 20/40 MHz Coexistence and WMM enabled.

I also have Xfinity service (but with a CGM4140COM gateway, I doubt that makes any difference).  I currently have the internet modem in bridge mode but also ran it without any disconnects using Double NAT for the first few weeks of ownership.

Message 13 of 37
Darren_620
Tutor

I have exactly the same router, ISP service and Netgear Modem with the disconnection issues that also started with the firmare updates. I identified that the disconnection happens when the large data packets are transfered such as the loading of fortnite on the XBoxes. Orbi / Netgear Support have been contacted several times with no resolution. Hope you get an answer that helps solve this otherwise I will return the product.

Message 14 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Darren_620 wrote:

I have exactly the same router, ISP service and Netgear Modem with the disconnection issues that also started with the firmare updates. I identified that the disconnection happens when the large data packets are transfered such as the loading of fortnite on the XBoxes. Orbi / Netgear Support have been contacted several times with no resolution. Hope you get an answer that helps solve this otherwise I will return the product.

Message 15 of 37
Bandito
Luminary

Have you tried the old factory reset and reconfiguration trick since updating the firmware?  With strange behaviors like this, it's probably worth a shot.

Message 16 of 37
Darren_620
Tutor

thank you. went to best buy today but due to looting concerned they cancelled my appointment to return the units. I will follow your guidance for one last shot. here are some quick answers to the questions and excuse me being a novice

1. Firmware Version is V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

2. Modem is Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

3. Orbi is in Route Mode

4. I have used 6, 8 , 11 for 2.4 and 36, 44, 48 for 5.0. Trying 6 and 40 now

5. there is on wall but large open double and the satellite is within 30ft

6. clicked off 20/40 but not sure how to select 40 only, could not see how to disable Armor and nervous doing this

Additionally I did the png test to determine my optimal MTU and changed the setting to 1462 which had zero loss when the setting was at 1492 originally and had 100% loss

I will reboot everything and report back if I still have issues. I appreciate your help

Message 17 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try 2347 as well to test. 

As last resort, downgrade to v11.2. 

Message 18 of 37
mellowaredev
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue since upgrading to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15.  My system was working fine before the upgrade and in the last 2 weeks 1 of my RBS850's is also disconnecting randomly.  I have a feeling this is a firmware problem with V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 

Message 19 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@mellowaredev wrote:

I am having the exact same issue since upgrading to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15.  My system was working fine before the upgrade and in the last 2 weeks 1 of my RBS850's is also disconnecting randomly.  I have a feeling this is a firmware problem with V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 

Message 20 of 37
mellowaredev
Aspirant

I have made the 2347 changes and the rest of the recommended changes above.  Will monitor for a while and see if it disconnects again and report back.

Message 21 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 37
srtex
Initiate

I am experiencing the same issues.  I too have frequent disconnects from my devices, wired and wireless. I have to power cycle modem (CM1000), then ORBI router multiple times per day, which is usually just a temporary fix.  Devices will show I am connected to ORBI, along with a strong signal, but I am unable to access the internet.  The last tech told me I needed to do factory reset.  Luckily I found that MANY people, including yourself, are experiencing the same issues.  I work from home and don't have time to BETA test their very $$ router.  Will be returning unit.  Hope you have better luck than I do with this...ugh.

Message 23 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded?

Mines currently on v32 and working with out issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I'm currently using default 64 and not seeing any issues with this setting. 

@srtex wrote:

I am experiencing the same issues.  I too have frequent disconnects from my devices, wired and wireless. I have to power cycle modem (CM1000), then ORBI router multiple times per day, which is usually just a temporary fix.  Devices will show I am connected to ORBI, along with a strong signal, but I am unable to access the internet.  The last tech told me I needed to do factory reset.  Luckily I found that MANY people, including yourself, are experiencing the same issues.  I work from home and don't have time to BETA test their very $$ router.  Will be returning unit.  Hope you have better luck than I do with this...ugh.

Message 24 of 37

I have been experiencing similar disconnects of with my RBR850/RBS850 setup over the past few weeks. I did not experience this problem during the first few weeks of ownership. It happens 3-4 times a day now, and when I check my hardware, neither my router nor my cable modem indicate any problems - no lights are active or blinking as if a problem was present. If I do nothing, the connection is restored after 1-3 minutes. 

I have an ARRIS SB8200 cable modem and my Internet service is 300 Mbps through Shentel. Firmware version is V3.2.15.25_1.3.15, which it has been since the beginning. I purchased the 3-pack (1 router/2 satellites) and installed it on the day of delivery, which was May 26th. The dropouts became apparent about 3-4 weeks ago; prior to that, it was working seamlessly. I've done a total reset and reconfiguration once, not because of the dropouts, but to register the RBR850 router with my Netgear Armor subscription. I have one unit at different levels of our split-level home.

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7