Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 and RBS850 Frequently Disconnects/Disappears

FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable Armor? Been some posts in othre forums about Armor causing some problems. 

I don't run Armor and have never seen any issues with my 8 series Orbi system, v25 and now on v32 FW. 

Using default CTS values now, not 2347 and AX mode is enabled. System has been solid since v32. 

@millerre1959 wrote:

I have been experiencing similar disconnects of with my RBR850/RBS850 setup over the past few weeks. I did not experience this problem during the first few weeks of ownership. It happens 3-4 times a day now, and when I check my hardware, neither my router nor my cable modem indicate any problems - no lights are active or blinking as if a problem was present. If I do nothing, the connection is restored after 1-3 minutes. 

I have an ARRIS SB8200 cable modem and my Internet service is 300 Mbps through Shentel. Firmware version is V3.2.15.25_1.3.15, which it has been since the beginning. I purchased the 3-pack (1 router/2 satellites) and installed it on the day of delivery, which was May 26th. The dropouts became apparent about 3-4 weeks ago; prior to that, it was working seamlessly. I've done a total reset and reconfiguration once, not because of the dropouts, but to register the RBR850 router with my Netgear Armor subscription. I have one unit at different levels of our split-level home.

Message 26 of 37

I hadn't considered the possibility of the Armor feature being the problem. I should look into it and see if it makes a difference.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you disable Armor? Been some posts in othre forums about Armor causing some problems. 

I don't run Armor and have never seen any issues with my 8 series Orbi system, v25 and now on v32 FW. 

Using default CTS values now, not 2347 and AX mode is enabled. System has been solid since v32. 

@millerre1959 wrote:

I have been experiencing similar disconnects of with my RBR850/RBS850 setup over the past few weeks. I did not experience this problem during the first few weeks of ownership. It happens 3-4 times a day now, and when I check my hardware, neither my router nor my cable modem indicate any problems - no lights are active or blinking as if a problem was present. If I do nothing, the connection is restored after 1-3 minutes. 

I have an ARRIS SB8200 cable modem and my Internet service is 300 Mbps through Shentel. Firmware version is V3.2.15.25_1.3.15, which it has been since the beginning. I purchased the 3-pack (1 router/2 satellites) and installed it on the day of delivery, which was May 26th. The dropouts became apparent about 3-4 weeks ago; prior to that, it was working seamlessly. I've done a total reset and reconfiguration once, not because of the dropouts, but to register the RBR850 router with my Netgear Armor subscription. I have one unit at different levels of our split-level home.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 27 of 37
dtay
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@millerre1959 wrote:

Since Armor isn't free (and I just paid the renewal for a year!), if Armor is the cause of problems, I'm those who paid for it and are using it will want to know about it pronto so that we can bring this up to Netgear and get our money back! 🙂

Message 28 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

IF users are experiencing problems with Armor or feel Armor is causing problems with there Orbi system, please make contact with NG support to let them know and also post over in the Armor forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Good Luck.

Message 29 of 37

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that, after firmware updates that I hoped would fix the problem but didn't, I finally disabled Netgear Armor on my RBR850 router. I only have a 12-hour sample size, but so far, I've not experienced a dropout of service. If the results are the same in 24-48 hours, then it's safe to conclude that you were correct and Armor was the problem.

The question then is what to do with that information. I'm subscribed to the service until next June or July, and even though the router implementaiton is a failure, the unlimited Bitdefender licenses for my smartphones, PCs and laptops makes the subscription worthwhile, and I do use the VPN service on my smartphone.

The best outcome would be for Netgear to figure out why the routers are disconnecting when running Armor and fix the problem so their customers get what they paid for.

Thank you for the suggestion, which appears to be the solution!

Message 30 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Please ensure you post about this over in the Armor forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Thank you.

@millerre1959 wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that, after firmware updates that I hoped would fix the problem but didn't, I finally disabled Netgear Armor on my RBR850 router. I only have a 12-hour sample size, but so far, I've not experienced a dropout of service. If the results are the same in 24-48 hours, then it's safe to conclude that you were correct and Armor was the problem.

The question then is what to do with that information. I'm subscribed to the service until next June or July, and even though the router implementaiton is a failure, the unlimited Bitdefender licenses for my smartphones, PCs and laptops makes the subscription worthwhile, and I do use the VPN service on my smartphone.

The best outcome would be for Netgear to figure out why the routers are disconnecting when running Armor and fix the problem so their customers get what they paid for.

Thank you for the suggestion, which appears to be the solution!

Message 31 of 37

I have posted my experience with Armor in the thread you recommended, and I should state that since I disabled Armor on my router on August 31st, I have not experienced any noticeable disconnects or dropouts on my Orbi network. The Armor router implementation was the cause of my problem all along.

Message 32 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Keep posting in the Armor forum and your experiences there. Hopefully NG will get to looking at this issue. 

Please mark this thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

Message 33 of 37
Alishal
Aspirant

I am having this issue all of a sudden and cannot get any support.  It worked great up until recently, but now, I have to reset it at least once a day.

Message 34 of 37
Alishal
Aspirant

How do you update your firmware?  My satellite has no issues, but my main router keeps disconnecting,

Message 35 of 37
Alishal
Aspirant

How do you do a factory reset?

Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have loaded currently? 

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

Try this first...

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem connected to the RBR? 

Firmware Update Process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1901692/highlight/tru...

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000061838/

Unpack the FW from the .zip files.

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11(Windows), Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again.

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7