Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 - can't run Amazon Prime Video and IPhone wifi calling fails to send voice

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 - can't run Amazon Prime Video and IPhone wifi calling fails to send voice

I would try this. Disable wireless on the ISP modem. Disable pass thru as well. Configure the RBR for AP mode and setup the system behind the ISP router. Connect to the Orbi wifi and see what happens. 

@dan_ro_ga wrote:

I did do what you suggest, but did it wirelessly. I re-enabled the att wifi signals, and then connected the tv to that SID and it works fine. And that proved to me that its an Orbi issue. And although you are correct it should be 'switch' like functions, they are obviously interogating the 'wire' since all my pc's are hardwired, and they connect to orbilogin.net (ie 10.0.0.1) and can manage the router. That tells me they are doing more than just 'switch' work. I'm about to return the orbi to bestbuy, and go back to my older netgear router (which never had an issue with the att modem, but was just too slow do to firmware updates..previous netgear router didn't have issues either...) I could return the Orbi, and buy another one, they are now $50 cheaper...maybe because they aren't rocketing off the shelf due to the issues people are having. Ninety five percent of the public won't put up with the factory resets/ firmware updates, etc on a product they charge $699 for. And that it works for some and not others makes wonder if there is a manufacturing issue as well.

ho ho ho...merry christmas...

Message 26 of 64
sutset
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR850 - can't run Amazon Prime Video and IPhone wifi calling fails to send voice

I have the same issues. It is failing wifi calling and downloads do not work.  The latest version did not fix it. V3.1.5.23 does work with downloads anything after that is broken.  I was working with netgear support for 3 weeks. Yesterday I told the rep to close the ticket as i was returning the product. for 700 dollars this was not ready for the real world. during my 3 week adventure with support, we tried everything and it really is an Orbi issue and not ATT. Try 3.1.5.23 you will downloads are super fast. 

Message 27 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Hi sutset, you made me smile!  Yes, its definately an Orbi issue. I returned the one I had, got another one (for $650..price dropping for a reason)... no more issues with streaming Prime Video or Netflix, but Wifi calling is still an issue. I just have the main router powered on, satellite uplugged, and still get the wifi issue with the Wifi phone calls. I'm currently on the V3.1.5.23. The satelite when I had it connected, auto upgraded to 3.2.5.8 and the main router was still on v3.1.5.23 and started having issues. I'm going to do an upgrade main router to v3.2.5.8, and give it one more try, and then back to the store for the full credit refund.

Can I ask you which wifi router you've choosen now that you've returned the Orbi?

Message 28 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using a wired PC and web brower to manually install the FW files. Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Then do a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061521/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-8-5

@dan_ro_ga wrote:

Hi sutset, you made me smile!  Yes, its definately an Orbi issue. I returned the one I had, got another one (for $650..price dropping for a reason)... no more issues with streaming Prime Video or Netflix, but Wifi calling is still an issue. I just have the main router powered on, satellite uplugged, and still get the wifi issue with the Wifi phone calls. I'm currently on the V3.1.5.23. The satelite when I had it connected, auto upgraded to 3.2.5.8 and the main router was still on v3.1.5.23 and started having issues. I'm going to do an upgrade main router to v3.2.5.8, and give it one more try, and then back to the store for the full credit refund.

Can I ask you which wifi router you've choosen now that you've returned the Orbi?

Message 29 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Haven't seen any download issues with Orbi AX. Even with more recent version v3.2.8.5

@sutset wrote:

I have the same issues. It is failing wifi calling and downloads do not work.  The latest version did not fix it. V3.1.5.23 does work with downloads anything after that is broken.  I was working with netgear support for 3 weeks. Yesterday I told the rep to close the ticket as i was returning the product. for 700 dollars this was not ready for the real world. during my 3 week adventure with support, we tried everything and it really is an Orbi issue and not ATT. Try 3.1.5.23 you will downloads are super fast. 

Message 30 of 64
sutset
Guide

Pace 5286ac isp is att. Orbi in bridge mode not AP mode. Everything else works fine and super fast 

1.) WiFi calling drops sender voice. You can hear them they cannot hear you. Same thing be reported by others here 

2.) file downloads take hours to complete works fine on 3.1.5.23

3.) the entire 2.4 network drops from orbi periodically and only a reboot makes it come back

Message 31 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya but what mode is your ATT modem gatway working in? There some known issues with these ATT modem gateways. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Are you using the DMZ or IP pass thru for the Orbi router? Have you tried this to see if this changes any of the streaming or WiFi problems? 

Orbi doesn't support bridge mode. It supports either router or AP mode. 

Can you give a example of a file download that maybe we can try to duplicate? I'm using the latest FW version currently. Maybe i can try this download. There a site maybe?

Haven't seen my 2.4Ghz network drop. I know if it did as I have several 2.4Ghz devices connected to it and would get notification from these devices if they lost connection. 

@sutset wrote:

Pace 5286ac isp is att. Orbi in bridge mode not AP mode. Everything else works fine and super fast 

1.) WiFi calling drops sender voice. You can hear them they cannot hear you. Same thing be reported by others here 

2.) file downloads take hours to complete works fine on 3.1.5.23

3.) the entire 2.4 network drops from orbi periodically and only a reboot makes it come back

Message 32 of 64
sutset
Guide

Any download is causing issues. Netflix, netgear FW downloads etc. I do have my att modem in pass thru for (dmzplus mode). I have 41 devices connected to the Orbi. Mostly all home automation. everything works fine. Website load super fast etc. Only downloads and wifi calling. Must be som ekind of buffering issue with the Orbi. 

all connections happen on teh Orbi except for uverse TV which i ws told had to remain connected to ATT router. The strange is that if I down grade to 3.1.5.23 then the download resolves but not the WIFI calling

Message 33 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you factory resetting the RBR when you downgrade or upgrade FW then setup from scratch? 

Currently streaming 6 Underground on Netflix on my PC connected via D-LInk DWA-192 to the Orbi AX wifi. Though my Orbi is in AP mode behind a XR450 connected to a NG CM1100 modem only. 

Can you try your Orbi AX in AP mode to see if the streaming and downloading problems change? 

Message 34 of 64
sutset
Guide

I have not tried to configure in AP mode. Some of my devices like the hunter cieling fans are a pain to reconfigure. I suspect that once I put in AP mode things will work because the orbi just becomes another device to teh att router without any bridg  But I would nee to reconfigure a bunch of devices. Netgear recommends the Bridge mode as the best approach. if I go AP mode then ATT router would be responsible for DHCP which mean al of my devices will get a new IP. Both Hunter and Cby GE are a pain to setuo. i still dont get why the downloads worked on the older firmware

other have trie dteh factory reset an dnothing seems to work. 

Message 35 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

If you configure AP mode, you wouldn't have to setup anything. You can use the same SSID name and PW on the RBR. The only thing you would have to do after AP mode was setup on the RBR and configured would be that you would have to power cycle all devices once, say for 30 seconds, then back on. they will reconnect to the Orbi's wifi and get a new IP address from the ISP modem automatically. You won't have to setup any devices again. The RBR has router mode and AP mode. There is no bridge mode. 

@sutset wrote:

I have not tried to configure in AP mode. Some of my devices like the hunter cieling fans are a pain to reconfigure. I suspect that once I put in AP mode things will work because the orbi just becomes another device to teh att router without any bridg  But I would nee to reconfigure a bunch of devices. Netgear recommends the Bridge mode as the best approach. if I go AP mode then ATT router would be responsible for DHCP which mean al of my devices will get a new IP. Both Hunter and Cby GE are a pain to setuo. i still dont get why the downloads worked on the older firmware

other have trie dteh factory reset an dnothing seems to work. 

Message 36 of 64
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue!

Prime Video and Netflix don't work on this router.

Message 37 of 64
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think it’s software related.

Other Netgear products had the same issue that was fixed with a software update.

The more we report this, the better as this will help Netgear noticing the problem and releasing a fix.

Replacing the item only works because the one you receive has the older software on it, but it stops working after few minutes when the router auto-update to the latest software version (you cannot prevent this).

I have opened a ticket. Please do the same.

Obviously, this router caused so far more problems in one day of use than all my wi-fi network in the past 10 years so, if they don’t fix it by the end of the month, I will just return it and go back to my old network.
Message 38 of 64
DoctorA
Luminary

My WiFi calling problem was solved by simply restarting my iPhone XS Max
Message 39 of 64
sutset
Guide

do you have att as your isp? are you using pace 5286 ac modem/router ? i am going to call att an if they can replace my pace with something newer tht might work better with the orbi. although this is stll an Orbi issue

Message 40 of 64
sutset
Guide

AT&T coming out tomorrow to replace the pace 5286ac with bgw210 router the lastest one they offer. Hoping the new router will help Orbi's issues. Will report back when installed. 
the pace is very old. Hoping if there are any IP passthru issues with the pace that the new router handles it better.

Message 41 of 64
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a different provider and different modem (I actually live in the U.K.) but the same issues so I’m not sure this is about ISP or modems. I want to try setting Orbi as AP and see how it goes.
Message 42 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Thanks, I have the PACE ISP modem as well, so I'll be interested in hearing if it fixes the issue. I honestly don't think it's the PACE, but hey, why not! The fact that a different firmware version breaks even file downloads is ridiculus!  And yes, after upgrading to the latest firmware, it was hard reset back and setup from scratch...AGAIN.... so Fury, STOP, just STOP with the same bs. The simple test was go to the netgear support page, and download an older version of firmware...  running the 3.1.5.23 the downloads were fast, the 3.2.8.5 version..never finished, I litterally AGED watching it try to download, streaming failed as well...oh, and the fact that wifi calling just craps out (3 seperate phones, all experiencing the same issue)...deal breaker.. when you are in an area with bad cellular coverage, wifi calling is a saviour...netgear orbi a nightmare no one needs.

Message 43 of 64
sutset
Guide

So ATT told me that there are known issues with the Pace 5286AC DMZ+ mode.  She immediately suggested that a tech come out to replace it. they will be here tomorrow. She also indicated the new router is much faster.  No charge for the visit. I agree that the orbi should be able to handle whatever is given to it. But we know that is not the case.  But this is my last attempt at fixing this before my 30 days store return expires on 12/24.  I will end up with a new ATT router anyway that they claim is better and faster. So everyone that have Pace 5286ac get it replaced!!

Message 44 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

if you are having issues with Wifi calling, you may want to try and turn off Wifi Assist so that if the signal is attempting to jump around on a mesh, it won't try to jump you back to your cellular connection, and if you have bad cellular signal in your area, then this could be the issue.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

Message 45 of 64
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey, I fixed it!

I’ve set orbi in AP mode and I’m using Netgear R9000 as router. Netgear and Amazon are back on track and fully working.
Message 46 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad your ISP is being proactive on this with you. 

Yes Orbi or any router as a mater of fact should handle anything modems throw at them. However, when its garbage being thrown, then routers only pass on what is given to them by the modem. Theres a saying, Garbage IN, Garbage OUT. 

I would ask the tech who visits about if the new modems supports bridge mode. If you still want to use the Orbi as a router, this would be perferred, if not, then hoping the new modem's DMZ or IP Pass thru works better than the last modem. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@sutset wrote:

So ATT told me that there are known issues with the Pace 5286AC DMZ+ mode.  She immediately suggested that a tech come out to replace it. they will be here tomorrow. She also indicated the new router is much faster.  No charge for the visit. I agree that the orbi should be able to handle whatever is given to it. But we know that is not the case.  But this is my last attempt at fixing this before my 30 days store return expires on 12/24.  I will end up with a new ATT router anyway that they claim is better and faster. So everyone that have Pace 5286ac get it replaced!!

Message 47 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, what Mfr and model# ISP modem or ONT do you use with R9000?

@Retired_Member wrote:
Hey, I fixed it!

I’ve set orbi in AP mode and I’m using Netgear R9000 as router. Netgear and Amazon are back on track and fully working.

Message 48 of 64
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same as above. Openreach old fibre modem
Message 49 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

So when the RBR was set as main host router with this modem, these services would not work right? 

@Retired_Member wrote:
Same as above. Openreach old fibre modem

Message 50 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7