Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 router IPv6 bad default - turned off??!

enableIPv6
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 router IPv6 bad default - turned off??!

My new Orbi RBR850 came with IPv6 disabled. And the 'enable' button for IPv6 was not available in the IOS Orbi app but was hidden under two layers of scary 'advanced' buttons in the web GUI. I bought Orbi in part because it was supposed to include IPv6 support.

I have used IPv6 from Comcast for almost a decade now, so this is pretty disappointing.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 router IPv6 bad default - turned off??!

Not all ISPs support IPv6 natively so the option is there for users to turn it on. Only takes 2 mouse clicks. 

Message 2 of 6
enableIPv6
Aspirant

My ISP is not the problem. I use Comcast as my ISP, and have been using IPv6 natively for about a decade throughout my home network. I have also implemented IPv6 on multiple networks.

Message 3 of 6
enableIPv6
Aspirant

I still maintain it's a bad default for a consumer grade router. We should be enabling IPv6 everywhere. Every modern operating system comes with IPv6 enabled by default. In fact, on cellphones you can't turn IPv6 off. Over 50% of Facebook's US traffic is IPv6, and over 30% of Google's worldwide traffic is IPv6.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Again not all ISPs support native IPv6. Mine doesn't. Also maybe different IPv6 configurations for different ISPs. These need to be setup by the user and ISP. Only 2 mouse clicks away and one can have IPv6 if it's natively supported. 

Enjoy.

Message 5 of 6
enableIPv6
Aspirant

IPv6 deployment HAS to be driven by defaults, and will never happen if Joe Sixpack has to dig around under two layers of scary 'advanced' buttons to turn it on.

Your Windows, linux (debian/redhat/etc), android, Macbooks, iPhones, etc have IPv6 on by default but will all work via IPv4 just fine on your network without disabling IPv6 on any of them.  If your ISP doesn't support IPv6, you don't need to go around to all your machines turning IPv6 off.  They'll just have link-local IPv6 addresses.

Likewise, the Netgear consumer-grade routers should have IPv6 enabled by default (just as IPv4 is). The routers would only get IPv6 link-local addresses and would continue to process IPv4 packets just fine.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7